Greatest WR you've seen in your lifetime

major

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Rice but jeez, he did have Montana and Young throwing the ball.

Sharpe was amazing! A freight train with stickem! Great commercial for those that remember. Neck injury cost him a HOF career.

Surprised C. Carter not getting any love. Made some of the best catches I've ever seen.

Marvin Harrison was pretty amazing too. His route running and ability to get open were the best. But he also had Peyton.

For me it's Megatron. Rice had Montana/Young. Sharpe had Favre. Harrison had Peyton and Moss showed what he was really capable of once Brady came into the picture.

Megatron had......Stafford! Really?

Edited by billsbackto81

Rice,he was a workout warrior.

Not the biggest,not the fastest, but the best ever.

I like Rice but jeez, he did have Montana and Young throwing the ball.

Sharpe was amazing! A freight train with stickem! Great commercial for those that remember. Neck injury cost him a HOF career.

Surprised C. Carter not getting any love. Made some of the best catches I've ever seen.

Marvin Harrison was pretty amazing too. His route running and ability to get open were the best. But he also had Peyton.

For me it's Megatron. Rice had Montana/Young. Sharpe had Favre. Harrison had Peyton and Moss showed what he was really capable of once Brady came into the picture.

Megatron had......Stafford! Really?

Its not Staffords fault his line sucked or the running game sucked or the D couldn't stop a nose bleed.most seasons.

Rice,he was a workout warrior.

Not the biggest,not the fastest, but the best ever.

Its not Staffords fault his line sucked or the running game sucked or the D couldn't stop a nose bleed.most seasons.

The post wasn't meant to poo-poo on Stafford though he's nowhere near the level of the QB's mentioned. It's to point out what Johnson could've done with a Brady/ Rodgers or Young type QB.

If you like Stafford that's ok I guess. Blaming the O-Line? Never stopped Barry in his day from being an all time great and though the D cant stop a nose bleed its still the other side of the ball.

The post wasn't meant to poo-poo on Stafford though he's nowhere near the level of the QB's mentioned. It's to point out what Johnson could've done with a Brady/ Rodgers or Young type QB.

If you like Stafford that's ok I guess. Blaming the O-Line? Never stopped Barry in his day from being an all time great and though the D cant stop a nose bleed its still the other side of the ball.

Yes but when the D sucks your playing from behind and need to throw a lot.

Barry Sanders despite his explosive abilities led the league a few times in most negative yard rushing plays they never made the highlight reel ;)

Moss played with Brady for 4 seasons. And he averaged about as many touchdowns as he did in his seven seasons with Culpepper. Oh and Rice averaged more touchdowns per game in his record-setting TD season.

True enough. I guess I only remembered to 16-0 season. But even so, he didn't have the same QB play over his career so I'll stay with him.

Rice was great and I was a big 49er fan and you can definitely argue that he was a better all around WR, but it's tough to get the frequent highlight reel catches that Moss made out of my mind. He was at least the greatest downfield receiver of his era.

Rice is the easy pick here. Never "took plays off" and never divided a locker room. Consumate team player and example for every other player in the league. He lifted the players around him unlike TO and Moss. Rice did have some great QBs throwing him the ball but they are great QBs in part, because they got to throw to Jerry Rice. It's a two-way street. Yards, TDs, SuperBowls, longevity...Rice dominates them all.

I give Megatron props for similar reasons. Consumate professsional and a dominant player. Oddly, Stanford had a better season after Johnson retired because he relied on Johnson too much. I also like him because he's a fellow Georgia Tech alum. :)

Somebody else mentioned Fred Biletnikoff. Nobody had hands like him that I've ever seen. He was slow but still got open all the time with great moves. He practice catching balls by standing in facing a wall in a gym and having Stabler throw balls off the wall. The balls took all sorts of bounces and FB had to react without seeing them coming and catch them. I never heard of anyone else doing that. People remember the stickem' he used later in his career but he always had the best hands in the game.

EdW

I saw ONE mention of Lance Alworth in this. You can't look at records from different eras and compare numbers since the game changed so much, but Alworth in the 60s and early 70s was just as dominant as any of the others.

Jerry Rice is the best WR I ever saw. Rice, Megatron, Julio -- all great too. I'd put Alworth second. Probably most of the people on this board have never even heard of him which is a shame.

As to the best player of all time, it's Jim Brown forever.

Jerry Rice. The guy couldn't be covered and if he dropped a pass you were looking for an asteroid to hit the planet or something. Not only was he the best, he trained like the best. Many of the NFL stars who played with him fell by the wayside on "The Hill" where he trained

http://m.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201308/hill-san-francisco-49ers-dan-brown-roger-craig-jerry-rice-nfl-running