Andrew Luck not ready to start regular season

YoloinOhio

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck is the real deal. Living just outside Indy I am forced to watch him. You can't argue with his talent. But he's like other QBsvthat don't have much of a team around them; he forces stuff a lot. He takes too many hits. Think of Elway before he got a real O line and running game and respectable defense. Soon as he got those two SB wins.

This. The vast majority of people who watch him play get it. For the rest, I guess there's Tyrod Taylor.

So when you said "...Because he does well in fantasy as a high volume thrower, people over look that he has more Int's and Fumbles than TDs in his career. Its amazing how most people don't even know that..." you were talking about his career in the postseason? Because you said his career, and then were amazed how most people don't even know that.

Colts are trapped with Luck...and you're trying to equate his and Taylor's respective 'struggles'...please go on.

Are you guys being serious? Is this what the guy meant the other day when he said Bills fans were stupid?

Literally the very next sentence clarifies I was talking about the post season...but you carefully removed that to create a new context. You don't think I know how to count? Geezus. Said he has more turnovers that TDs in his career in the playoffs like 10 times in this thread. But keep trying to pretend I said something I didn't. I already acknowledged it wasn't CRYSTAL clear, but it was also still pretty obvious. I mean I even further elaborated stating in those 3 post seasons he never even had one with more TDs than Int to be clear his more turnovers than TDs wasn't skewed by one bad year, that he's had 3 bad postseasons after compiling a bunch of fantasy stats in the regular season. And yes, it amazes me how most people don't know that as I have people always argue he was great in the post season

Edited by Alphadawg7

Literally the very next sentence clarifies I was talking about the post season...but you carefully removed that to create a new context. You don't think I know how to count? Geezus. Said he has more turnovers that TDs in his career in the playoffs like 10 times in this thread. But keep trying to pretend I said something I didn't. I already acknowledged it wasn't CRYSTAL clear, but it was also still pretty obvious. I mean I even further elaborated stating in those 3 post seasons he never even had one with more TDs than Int to be clear his more turnovers than TDs wasn't skewed by one bad year, that he's had 3 bad postseasons after compiling a bunch of fantasy stats in the regular season. And yes, it amazes me how most people don't know that as I have people always argue he was great in the post season

I just don't see what you're trying to prove. That Luck isn't a good QB? Because he is. His talent for the position is undeniable. I don't know what we're arguing about anymore.

He's consistently top 10 in the league for me, and closer to 5 than 10 more often than not. I consider him a lead pipe lock franchise guy, and I would trade pretty much anything to get one of those. That's it.

Sorry I was talking about Playoffs...as you see in rest of the paragraph, but realize I said playoffs after that sentence and wasn't clear, so my bad.

But on his regular season totals, you forgot his 27 fumbles while passing. The fumbles you mention are only on plays where he was labeled a runner. He has 105 Interceptions and Fumbles in the regular season combined. Anyone who throws a pick or fumbles 105 times in 70 games (less than 4 and a half seasons of games) is not worth 4 first round picks and a cap strangling contract. Anyone who has more INTs than TDs in 3 playoff seasons, including never having one with more TDs than INTs doesn't deserve 4 first round picks and a cap killing contract. Add in that he has become a serious injury concern, and I will again say its one of the worst contracts in the NFL right now.

Colts are trapped with him, for better or worse.

I do find it interesting that people here will validate Luck, his struggles, etc over and over again, but if anyone here tries to logically discuss contributing factors to Taylors struggles its all excuses. Luck has become infallible, yet he's only played 5 years and managed 105 Fumbles and Interceptions and has been more fragile than Sammy the last 2 years.

Can you send me a link of how many of those fumbles and the ones that are lost? I can't find a site that tracks QB fumbles that aren't rushing attempts or beyond the LOS.

Interesting enough....the QB Luck replaced, Peyton Manning, had more INT's that TD's in his first 3 playoff seasons. His QB rating was around a 50.

Can you send me a link of how many of those fumbles and the ones that are lost? I can't find a site that tracks QB fumbles that aren't rushing attempts or beyond the LOS.

Interesting enough....the QB Luck replaced, Peyton Manning, had more INT's that TD's in his first 3 playoff seasons. His QB rating was around a 50.

I would be interested in those stats as well.

Whispers around town here are that Luck may be out for the year

That's what I'm really beginning to wonder. It kind of has the feeling of him opening the season on PUP, them being 0-6 or 1-5 and deciding to shut him down. Ballard is new, has plenty of job security and doesn't seem to be in a huge rush to win now.

I just don't see what you're trying to prove. That Luck isn't a good QB? Because he is. His talent for the position is undeniable. I don't know what we're arguing about anymore.

He's consistently top 10 in the league for me, and closer to 5 than 10 more often than not. I consider him a lead pipe lock franchise guy, and I would trade pretty much anything to get one of those. That's it.

I said repeatedly he is a good QB...the point I made is that he has one of the worst contracts in football right now.

1. He has yet to play up to it.

2. His injury issues are compounding it.

3. That contract is a cap choking contract, and all Luck has proved up to this point is that he can carry a bad roster against bad teams, but not against good teams or the playoffs.

I have aslo repeatedly stated that he can still improve. But the bottom line is undeniable, he has been too mistake prone. And many of his "comebacks" he gets heralded for were both against bad teams and also comebacks from holes HE put them in with bad mistakes.

And as far as fumbles vs fumbles lost...who cares what the balance is between them, a fumble is a fumble.. A fumble, even when retaining the ball, is a terrible play resulting most often in negative yards, drive ending plays, turnovers, or significantly increasing the distance for a first down. 105 INTs and Fumbles in just 70 games is not very good, especially when you consider that was the regular season and the only time he actually had any success. His TD to Turnover ratio is atrocious in the postseason.

Luck has 80 Interceptions in 76 career games between Regular Season and Playoffs. Thats more than 1 per game. He also has 38 fumbles in 76 career games. Thats an average of a combined INT/Fumble rate of 1.55 per game played. Thats is not very good at all.

He has been more Jay Cutler than Aaron Rodgers. He has been more Jeff George than Steve Young. He has been a lot less than his LEGEND makes people believe he has been. Is he a bad QB, by no means...I am simply stating his success is over exaggerated and I would not want to be in the Colts shoes right now with that contract, his injury history, and his on field struggles.

I said repeatedly he is a good QB...the point I made is that he has one of the worst contracts in football right now.

1. He has yet to play up to it.

2. His injury issues are compounding it.

3. That contract is a cap choking contract, and all Luck has proved up to this point is that he can carry a bad roster against bad teams, but not against good teams or the playoffs.

I have aslo repeatedly stated that he can still improve. But the bottom line is undeniable, he has been too mistake prone. And many of his "comebacks" he gets heralded for were both against bad teams and also comebacks from holes HE put them in with bad mistakes.

And as far as fumbles vs fumbles lost...who cares what the balance is between them, a fumble is a fumble.. A fumble, even when retaining the ball, is a terrible play resulting most often in negative yards, drive ending plays, turnovers, or significantly increasing the distance for a first down. 105 INTs and Fumbles in just 70 games is not very good, especially when you consider that was the regular season and the only time he actually had any success. His TD to Turnover ratio is atrocious in the postseason.

Luck has 80 Interceptions in 76 career games between Regular Season and Playoffs. Thats more than 1 per game. He also has 38 fumbles in 76 career games. Thats an average of a combined INT/Fumble rate of 1.55 per game played. Thats is not very good at all.

He has been more Jay Cutler than Aaron Rodgers. He has been more Jeff George than Steve Young. He has been a lot less than his LEGEND makes people believe he has been. Is he a bad QB, by no means...I am simply stating his success is over exaggerated and I would not want to be in the Colts shoes right now with that contract, his injury history, and his on field struggles.

He is a tremendously talented qb who has had to play behind some awful lines. That makes little sense. When you have an exceptionally talented qb such as he is you diminish what he can do because of the extreme battering that he has to absorb. The GM that was recently fired was not merely mediocre, he was stupendously stupid! He should have made it a priority to protect his gilded asset; he didn't.

In my opinion Luck isn't as good as Rogers or Brady but he could have been more of an elite qb with the right support. It's like having a sterling talent such as Watkins and having him take passes from mediocre qbs. Wasted talent because of dumb handling.

He is a tremendously talented qb who has had to play behind some awful lines. That makes little sense. When you have an exceptionally talented qb such as he is you diminish what he can do because of the extreme battering that he has to absorb. The GM that was recently fired was not merely mediocre, he was stupendously stupid! He should have made it a priority to protect his gilded asset; he didn't.

In my opinion Luck isn't as good as Rogers or Brady but he could have been more of an elite qb with the right support. It's like having a sterling talent such as Watkins and having him take passes from mediocre qbs. Wasted talent because of dumb handling.

Yet you and many call them excuses when anyone suggests any of the same things affect Tyrod Taylor. Bad line, poor weapons, bad defense, bad coaches/GM, etc. Yet Taylor has an exceptionally better track record of protecting the ball and is similar or better in many key QB statistics outside of yardage totals.

For the record, I am not comparing TT to Luck who is clearly a better passer than TT, just find it interesting how its always an "excuse" in Buffalo no matter who the QB is, but they are valid reasons when defending another teams QB every single time. Luck gets a pass on all his mistakes every time while people here label the same or similar factors here as just excuses.

Edited by Alphadawg7

You really don't address Alphadawg's point. If Luck is so great, and his surrounding cast so awful, how did the Colts go 5-3 (with a 40-year old backup QB) when Luck was injured in 2015?

Yet you and many call them excuses when anyone suggests any of the same things affect Tyrod Taylor. Bad line, poor weapons, bad defense, bad coaches/GM, etc. Yet Taylor has an exceptionally better track record of protecting the ball and is similar or better in many key QB statistics outside of yardage totals.

For the record, I am not comparing TT to Luck who is clearly a better passer than TT, just find it interesting how its always an "excuse" in Buffalo no matter who the QB is, but they are valid reasons when defending another teams QB every single time. Luck gets a pass on all his mistakes every time while people here label the same or similar factors here as just excuses.

Who is making excuses? Luck has been battered because of the line he has played behind? Do you disagree that that has impacted his game?

Whatever track record TT has there is no comparison between TT and Luck? I'm not saying that you are claiming that TT is better but the difference between the two is qualitatively different. I'll go so far as to say that because of his glaring limitations, regardless what stats you cite, he is not considered a franchise qb by any GM in the game including the GM he is currently playing for. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be an adequate bridge qb, but nothing more.

As much as you want to extol the virtues of TT I have little doubt that before the season expires Peterman will be given the starting job because the staff already knows what TT has to offer. It's simply not good enough.

Who is making excuses? Luck has been battered because of the line he has played behind? Do you disagree that that has impacted his game?

When someone fails to live up to expectations and others get blamed for this it is called....an excuse. It doesn't mean the excuse isn't valid but it is most certainly an excuse.

Luck is 9-0 against the Titans

Luck is 6-2 against the Jags

Luck is 5-3 against the Texans

Which, in keeping with your recent posts, is completely irrelevant to the question which was asked.

Whatever track record TT has there is no comparison between TT and Luck? I'm not saying that you are claiming that TT is better but the difference between the two is qualitatively different. I'll go so far as to say that because of his glaring limitations, regardless what stats you cite, he is not considered a franchise qb by any GM in the game including the GM he is currently playing for. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't be an adequate bridge qb, but nothing more.

As much as you want to extol the virtues of TT I have little doubt that before the season expires Peterman will be given the starting job because the staff already knows what TT has to offer. It's simply not good enough.

My point was, what you call a valid reason for Luck, you call an excuse for TT. It can be a negative to one QB, and not a negative to another. If its a valid reason for Luck, then its a valid reason for TT, end of story.

I actually expect Peterman to start at some point this year, so lets not confuse where I stand on TT. My entire stance was that he was NOT our biggest problem, nor had he earned the confidence to be the starter moving forward. I remained optimistic that with less than 2 years of starts under his belt, that he still had the potential to improve on what was not that bad of a 2 year stretch that is often over exaggerated by the negative TT people.

At the end of the day, I have said at every step of the way, that TT MUST show up and improve in order to continue to be the Bills starter both next year and throughout this season. I actually very much like some of the potential I have seen in Peterman, but I also know he isnt ready.

I think Peterman will get the nod sometime around week 10, possibly later, to start this year barring these factors:

1. An injury to TT makes this happen sooner.

2. The Bills are in the playoff hunt and TT is playing solid or better.

3. The Bills are not in the playoff hunt, but TT is playing great and earned the right to finish the season as the starter.

4. The Bills have 1 or No wins going into the bye week, and the offense is the main issue so they turn to the rookier earlier than hoped and it gives Peterman the extra week on the Bye to get a lot of first team reps.

Personally, this OL is atrocious and I fear the lack of rapport with the wideouts, the bad protection, etc is going to lead to stiff decline in the offense from last year and that TT has very little chance of finishing the year as the starter anymore. But, from a development stand point on Peterman, I think its more than likely Peterman is held off the field until at least week 10 to give the kid the best chance to succeed and show the team what he has got to end the season.

Edited by Alphadawg7

The party line called and asked you to return the hook line and sinker.

Which, in keeping with your recent posts, is completely irrelevant to the question which was asked.

Irrelevant huh? Well I put down the career W/L with Luck and the AFC South because you stated that "Luck lost the games against the Texans and Jags right?".....well Luck didn't play in those games because he was injured. Hasselback started both games against the Texans and Jags that year....

So I guess to answer your question....no Luck didn't lose those games.

You really don't address Alphadawg's point. If Luck is so great, and his surrounding cast so awful, how did the Colts go 5-3 (with a 40-year old backup QB) when Luck was injured in 2015?

They went 6-3 in that time against Titans 3-13 (Win), Dolphins 6-10 (Win), Texans 9-7 (Loss), Jaguars 5-11 (Loss), Steelers 10-6 (Loss), Bucs 6-10 (Win), Falcons 8-8 (Win), Texans 9-7 (Win), Jaguars 5-11 (Win).

Luck went 2-5 in that time against Bills 8-8 (Loss), Jets 10-6 (Loss), Titans 3-13 (Win), Patriots 12-4 (Loss), Saints 7-9 (Loss), Panthers 15-1 (Loss), Broncos 12-4 (Win).

I don't know what that means, but there it is. Pick at it.

I think what all this means is that players have to be in the right situation to show what they can do. OJ looked terrible the first couple of years, before Saban came in and built the O line and an offense that featured OJ. A lot of high draft pick QBs have their careers ruined because they're picked by bad teams who can't assemble the other pieces to go with them, so they struggle, lose confidence, see their coaches get fired and start over with new, etc. Dak Prescott is a good player but he's playing behind the best O line in the NFL, and had a stud rookie RB. So, yeah, he looks really good.

Would Andrew Luck look good playing for the Cowboys? Yeah, definitely. He'd be an all-pro.

Even being in the right place doesn't guarantee success. A lot of talented players don't have their heads screwed on right, and end up sabotaging themselves. You need talent, a good situation, a good attitude, a good coach -- without all these factors, no one becomes a star.

Irrelevant huh? Well I put down the career W/L with Luck and the AFC South because you stated that "Luck lost the games against the Texans and Jags right?".....well Luck didn't play in those games because he was injured. Hasselback started both games against the Texans and Jags that year....

So I guess to answer your question....no Luck didn't lose those games.

I was mixing it up with when he lost to the Jags and Texans this past year. Sorry. You remember, the games where he missed bunny passes on 4th and short in crunch time.

Spin it however you want. He is seen as a demigod in the sports press and a lot of people just go along with that like the people in "The Emperor's New Clothes" or North Korean citizens do with Kim Jung Un. People think Un shot an 18 in a round of golf and think Luck has produced marvelous results. Neither are true. It doesn't mean he is a bad QB. It just means he has been granted a lot of excuses. Maybe some of them are valid. Pardon me for allowing the possibility that possibly....potentially....God forbid...he is not the greatest QB ever and a guaranteed ticket to glory.