Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

32 minutes ago, DrW said:

Rock/Jazz from England, from 1970 (thanks to German public TV). Sadly, Dick Heckstall-Smith (sax) and John Hiseman (dr) are no longer with us.

Was never impressed by them but they fall into the category I love the best, the one or two off bands of the late 60/early 70's. Try this for a one off..

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, DrW said:

Ever heard of The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger? If not, can you guess the identity of the lead guitarist/vocalist?

Here we have them in a band set-up...

And here as an acoustic duo...

I don't have a single clue who the singer is. But I like it a lot. Im texting my son and asking if he knows them. One of their songs reminded me of Cults. So if they are new maybe they were an influence.  The band name is witchy.

EDIT: I googled. Oh My No I'd have never caught that. Interesting thanks for posting!

no reply to text yet

EDIT: son replied he did know them. He said that his prior band played a festival with them In Mexico City years ago. @DrW

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

I think that Steve Stevens plays a mean guitar, and is underrated.  I went deep into my CD-turned-digital collection recently, and revisited Billy Idol's stuff.  Cool tunes, great player.

Also, during our QBR (quarterly business review) in Orlando last week, I got re-acquainted with Beastie Boys' "Ill Communication" whilst listening on the plane.  Forgot how great of an album that one was.

Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom" is one of my favorite albums. IMHO, the best track is "Sea Song". I just learned very recently that a live version exists.

Here is the original studio recording; it is so beautiful...

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

This song, written by Warren Zevon when he was dying of lung cancer, is absolutely heartbreaking.

I completely agree. It reminds me of an other case of cancer which took a life much too early. In 2017, the front woman of Those Darlins, Jessi Zazu, died of ovarian cancer at the age of 28. A couple of years earlier, she had written a song "Ain't Afraid". It is not clear if she knew about her cancer diagnosis when she wrote this song.