Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

22 hours ago, DrW said:

And here is the perhaps earliest female rock drummer...  Maureen "Moe" Tucker.

Camera by Andy Warhol (demonstrating that an artist excelling at some expressions of art can suck at others).

Well, I am a scientist. Thus, I dug a bit further and stumbled upon a female jazz/big band drummer, Viola Smith. Here is a clip from 1939. She died in 2020 at the age of 107.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/1/2022 at 7:44 AM, muppy said:

Inspired by the movie Elvis (well worth seeing) this song wasn't in the movie but I think its neat they interposed a girl drumming.  In the movie real Elvis footage was edited into the actors replication it was really cool and well done just as a side note

Polk Salad Annie was written by Tony Joe White, and his performance beats Elvis by miles (well, it is difficult to do the pelvis gyrations when you have to play guitar at the same time)...

My favorite Tony Joe White song...  Usually, singers/songwriters are not very high on my preferred music list. However, way back in Germany a TV station had a competition asking for songs mentioning types and/or models of cars, and the "Continental Lincoln" in this song made the list.

Edited by DrW
  • Thank you (+1) 1

great stuff @DrW gracias. You enlighten the 2bd music board whenever u post.

the polk salad annie reference was primo. I hadn't given that song or Elvis either for that matter much thought untll the recent movie came out. Having seen it makes he a much more interesting character/person not just a hips swaying gyrating performer. And female drummers there just aren't that many. I do think this next clip has a great female  drummer. Beyond she and Sheila E my knowledge was basically squat until this thread.

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

One of my favorite bands. They just made one album, the eponymous "Heron Oblivion". All the concert clips I could find from this band had Meg Baird's vocals turned even further down than on the record and I decided to go with the album audio instead.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

@DrWI googled and this was written about the band Heron Oblivion. I almost wrote heroin oblivion ha. This band indeed has an interesting vibe.  I looked at their influences and was aware of a few of their influences from my sons tastes (Polvo, Sonic Youth) . From wiki

I am glad I checked into them further an interesting cuppa tea. unique beautiful voice. Here is her picture 

Heron Oblivion received mostly favorable reviews from critics: according to Metacritic, the album has a score of 80 out of 100, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[5] Aaron Leitko wrote in the Washington Post that the album "moves elegantly between extremes — soft and loud, harmony and dissonance."[2] Writing for Pitchfork Media, Leitko gave the album a score of 7.7 out of 10 and described its songs as "moody and dark, with clear moments of guitar solo-driven catharsis."[3] Doug Mosurock wrote for NPR that the album "restores both austerity and blistering excess to the form, following in the footsteps of Fairport Convention, Jefferson Airplane and the purists that came after (Major Stars, Vermonster and the rest of the Twisted Village roster, for starters, as well as Polvo and Sonic Youth, who cut their own trails throughout the '80s and '90s)

meg.jpg

Edited by muppy

Three outstanding live versions of one of the finest rock songs ever, "Dear Mr. Fantasy" (written by Winwood, Capaldi and Wood of Traffic). The two first versions feature Jerry Garcia on guitar. First, the Grateful Dead...

Now, Traffic with Jerry Garcia...

Several excellent cover versions of this song exist, e. g. by Crosby, Stills and Nash (I really liked Steven Stills' vocals) or Jimi Hendrix. However, IMHO the best cover by far is by Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper. They are expanding the song into territory not touched by the original. And they incorporated the "Hey Jude" theme 20 years before the Grateful Dead. Enjoy...

Edited by DrW