Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

21 hours ago, T&C said:

One of the 2 best latin psych/rock/folk/prog lp's out there... from Peru and sung in english @DrW:

Very interesting - we never hear much from bands outside of the English-speaking countries, especially if their sound is not mainstream but incorporates elements of music from their own country (I don't think the Scorpions adding elements of Polka music would have been a hit.). Overall, I find the quality of the songs a bit uneven, and the sound would have benefited from a better recording studio. Still, the two tracks "Meshkalina" and especially "Jews Caboose" are outstanding.

Thanks for posting!

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DrW said:

Very interesting - we never hear much from bands outside of the English-speaking countries, especially if their sound is not mainstream but incorporates elements of music from their own country (I don't think the Scorpions adding elements of Polka music would have been a hit.). Overall, I find the quality of the songs a bit uneven, and the sound would have benefited from a better recording studio. Still, the two tracks "Meshkalina" and especially "Jews Caboose" are outstanding.

Thanks for posting!

Glad you liked it/had a new experience. Agree on a better recording studio but I guess for the time that was what they were working with. Plus there was plenty of acid/buttons, etc. involved. They pulled off the language barrier pretty well I think. Got a laugh out of the Scorpions mention! 

This is the other one, and I forgot about Another one, that I mentioned of 2. Now 3 but I'll save that one for another time. 

As far as I know there were 3 different Kaleidoscopes...  one US, one UK, and this one, recorded in Mexico with players from all around,

Frank Tirado (Puerto Rico) - Vocals and a little bass
Orly Vázquez (Puerto Rico) - Vocals in 3 songs, Bass and little guitars
Pedrín García (Spain) - Guitar
Rafael Cruz (República Dominicana) - Drums
Julio Arturo Fernández (República Dominicana) - Organ...

Little known but this is one acid drenched listenable piece. From what I know less than 300 copies of this were ever pressed. I have a reissue of 200, forget the number, and a CD copy. 

Inspired by the movie Elvis (well worth seeing) this song wasn't in the movie but I think its neat they interposed a girl drumming.  In the movie real Elvis footage was edited into the actors replication it was really cool and well done just as a side note

17-year old Lucy Landymore plays Zappa's "The Black Page"

Today, Lucy is percussionist in Hans Zimmer's orchestra (they do lots of movie scores) and does tutorials

Zappa's percussionist, Ruth Underwood, explains aspects of Zappa's "sound":

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, T&C said:

Glad you liked it/had a new experience. Agree on a better recording studio but I guess for the time that was what they were working with. Plus there was plenty of acid/buttons, etc. involved. They pulled off the language barrier pretty well I think. Got a laugh out of the Scorpions mention! 

This is the other one, and I forgot about Another one, that I mentioned of 2. Now 3 but I'll save that one for another time. 

As far as I know there were 3 different Kaleidoscopes...  one US, one UK, and this one, recorded in Mexico with players from all around,

Frank Tirado (Puerto Rico) - Vocals and a little bass
Orly Vázquez (Puerto Rico) - Vocals in 3 songs, Bass and little guitars
Pedrín García (Spain) - Guitar
Rafael Cruz (República Dominicana) - Drums
Julio Arturo Fernández (República Dominicana) - Organ...

Little known but this is one acid drenched listenable piece. From what I know less than 300 copies of this were ever pressed. I have a reissue of 200, forget the number, and a CD copy. 

Actually, this was surprisingly good. However, it was more mainstream and less influenced by the music in their home country.

Edited by DrW

@DrW I took note that the drummer was again a woman in your clip . It seems to be an underserved role in rock music. Except for this one. She is truly a percussionist icon if the genre. imo.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

Steppenwolf — Monster, 1969

And though the past has its share of injustice
Kind was the spirit in many a way
But its protectors and friends have been sleeping

Now it's a monster and will not obey

The spirit was freedom and justice
And its keepers seemed generous and kind
Its leaders were supposed to serve the country

But now they won't pay it no mind

Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
Now their vote is a meaningless joke
They babble about law and order
But it's all just an echo of what they've been told

Can any lyrics from over 50 years ago be so relevant to today’s events?

10 hours ago, muppy said:

@DrW I took note that the drummer was again a woman in your clip . It seems to be an underserved role in rock music. Except for this one. She is truly a percussionist icon if the genre. imo.

And here is the perhaps earliest female rock drummer...  Maureen "Moe" Tucker.

Camera by Andy Warhol (demonstrating that an artist excelling at some expressions of art can suck at others).

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrW said:

And here is the perhaps earliest female rock drummer...  Maureen "Moe" Tucker.

Camera by Andy Warhol (demonstrating that an artist excelling at some expressions of art can suck at others).

Love the Velvets... hadn't seen this clip before, was cool to see Nico moving around. 

This is in my top ten albums of all time... chick drummer And bass player, from 1969, rare as hell... again, I have a reissue. Dora Wahl kind of blows the doors off of Moe really. Its kind of like the mamas and papas to the tenth power...