Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

I have encountered many big Rush fans over the years at shows and elsewhere and I am always surprised to find out how many have never heard this Max Webster/Rush collaboration "Battlescar" from 1980.  I guess we had better access in Buffalo by being able to tune into the Canadian rock stations.   

I always liked songs incorporating circus music (sorry, I do not have video for any)...

The classical example (as far as rock music is concerned), and one of the most innovative McCartney tunes...

Brilliant, but much darker...  The United States of America made only one album, but it is outstanding. No guitars, but very primitive synthesizers and "ring modulators". One of the most innovative bands of the late 1960s...

Another short-lived band. The Flock combined a brass section (a la Chicago or Blood, Sweat and Tears) with a violin (Jerry Goodman).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrW said:

I always liked songs incorporating circus music (sorry, I do not have video for any)...

The classical example (as far as rock music is concerned), and one of the most innovative McCartney tunes...

Brilliant, but much darker...  The United States of America made only one album, but it is outstanding. No guitars, but very primitive synthesizers and "ring modulators". One of the most innovative bands of the late 1960s...

Another short-lived band. The Flock combined a brass section (a la Chicago or Blood, Sweat and Tears) with a violin (Jerry Goodman).

Have had both of the last two a few times... just never connected with either. In the theme:

What is the last time you ever saw a drummer reading sheet music? Me neither lol... Annie sounds great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Admittedly, the name of the band first piqued my interest. But despite the name there in nothing R-rated in their music and lyrics, just smart power pop. They are mostly Canadian, with two Americans mixed in (the drummer and the red-haired vocalist - Neko Case).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 5/21/2022 at 5:36 PM, DrW said:

Admittedly, the name of the band first piqued my interest. But despite the name there in nothing R-rated in their music and lyrics, just smart power pop. They are mostly Canadian, with two Americans mixed in (the drummer and the red-haired vocalist - Neko Case).

Love Neko Case!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:36 PM, DRsGhost said:

I have encountered many big Rush fans over the years at shows and elsewhere and I am always surprised to find out how many have never heard this Max Webster/Rush collaboration "Battlescar" from 1980.  I guess we had better access in Buffalo by being able to tune into the Canadian rock stations.   

They used to play this a LOT on 97 Rock, and I would catch this most frequently on Fridays.  Great track, tho!

On 5/22/2022 at 10:02 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Fascinating track, and band.  Alan Parsons didn't play that many instruments on this track, if memory serves, and the singer was from Pakistan (Karachi), which was rare for the time.  (Some) people forget, also, that Alan Parsons was involved with production on a number of the Beatles' albums as well as with Pink Floyd.