Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

4 hours ago, BritBill said:

Blur didn't take themselves as seriously as Oasis did. I think I'll go with.....

And then.....

very interesting. But I'm not hearing any connection... other than they are both British? ...Musically I think Oasis is much more commercial. and grunge . Blur is just okay meh  No one can like Everything 🙂 Thank you for your reply.  Cheers,

40 minutes ago, muppy said:

very interesting. But I'm not hearing any connection... other than they are both British? ...Musically I think Oasis is much more commercial. and grunge . Blur is just okay meh  No one can like Everything 🙂 Thank you for your reply.  Cheers,

I disagree. In the end, the Blur vs. Oasis battle boils down to Damon Albarn (Blur) versus the Gallagher brothers (Oasis). IMHO Albarn excels in writing catchy melodies and he is a very strong "yes" to FZ's challenge "Does humor belong in music?" E.g. you can see him here at 2:20 playing keyboards for Elastica.

Furthermore, when he had enough of BritPop, Albarn changed his musical style pretty radically in Gorillaz, a "virtual band" where he included electronics and rap. One of my favorites: "Clint Eastwood".

After Gorillaz, another turn to story-telling art rock in "The Good, the Bad, and the Queen".

In contrast, the Gallaghers always sound the same. If you like their sound, fine. But if you prefer versatility, humor, and observational skills, you have to go with Albarn. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, DrW said:

I disagree. In the end, the Blur vs. Oasis battle boils down to Damon Albarn (Blur) versus the Gallagher brothers (Oasis). IMHO Albarn excels in writing catchy melodies and he is a very strong "yes" to FZ's challenge "Does humor belong in music?" E.g. you can see him here at 2:20 playing keyboards for Elastica.

Furthermore, when he had enough of BritPop, Albarn changed his musical style pretty radically in Gorillaz, a "virtual band" where he included electronics and rap. One of my favorites: "Clint Eastwood".

After Gorillaz, another turn to story-telling art rock in "The Good, the Bad, and the Queen".

In contrast, the Gallaghers always sound the same. If you like their sound, fine. But if you prefer versatility, humor, and observational skills, you have to go with Albarn. 

musical preferences are individual so I respect your view although I don't agree with it Vive la difference 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, DrW said:

You're also getting a small glimpse of the cultural differences between the north and south of England at that time. The vibrant successful south versus the "grim up" north. 

Albarn's upbringing was very much more "arty" which you can see comes out in his music. The Gallaghers had a much more raw musical education. Noel is dyslexic which limited his music writing abilities which I think is why Oasis' range isn't that of Blur. 

If i was given a tickets to an Oasis gig and Blur gig to occur at exactly the same date and time I'd choose Oasis. It would be cheaper to get to I suspect 😊

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DrW said:

Mothers (the band) was largely the vehicle for Kristine Leschper before she started a solo career. The interviewer is a bit annoying, but you can skip his drivel.

An early Mothers song, I believe it's just before Freak Out! was released... does humor belong in music?, Batboy got played here bigtime. I have never seen this one so thanks to whoever uploaded this little gem.

• Like (+1) 1

The evening sun is messing up the safety sensor, getting in the eye of garage door. Only happens between 7-8pm in the month of June on sunny evenings.  Gotta cast a shadow on the eye or wait for the sun to set a little.

Thought of this:

"...Big birds flying across the sky
Throwing shadows on our eyes

Leave us

Helpless, helpless, helpless, helpless..

"

• Like (+1) 1

Two of my favorite musical genres are progressive rock and indie/alternative rock. Here are two examples which have something in common: the name "Hatfield". 

On the alternative side, there is the The Juliana Hatfield Three - their only hit I can remember: "My Sister"

On the progressive side, there is Hatfield and The North, a band form England's Canterbury scene.

Nobody in the band is named Hatfield. They got their name from a road sign.

image.png.541d1b9b3afd55a817f6892a20e45c0d.png

• Like (+1) 1