Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

On 11/20/2022 at 9:58 AM, muppy said:

haha 3 versions of one song. For me that means it was a noteworthy and influential song  after it came out. I am now thinking of what iconic songs have been covered a minimum of 3 times. That would be a cool thread. 🙂 I liked Lisa Oliferovas' cover she's sultry and I like her wardrobe. The person wearing bra over a tailored shirt ...that is one UGLY look jmo

lol geez

Gave this some thought - and failed miserably. But then I realized what interests me more is the unexpected cover. A number of years ago I saw Jack Johnson and I never imagined he'd cover Ramones 'I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend'.  Here's another unexpected cover:

• Thank you (+1) 2

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

I actually got a CD today, by one of my favorite artists - Kristin Hersh.  Hersh was, together with her stepsister Tanya Donelly, the founding member of the alternative/indie band "Throwing Muses" in the mid-1980s (remember "Counting Backwards"?). Since then, she has been turning out great music under three different aliases: continuing the alt/indie output as "Throwing Muses", quieter folk-like songs under her own name, and the power-rock trio 50 Foot Wave.

50 Foot Wave just released their second album, "Black Pearl". Here are two songs... (you have to crank up the volume to fully appreciate it)

On 11/23/2022 at 7:43 PM, DrW said:

Another entry: The House of the Rising Sun

This is a very old song of unknown origin. The first recorded version was by Ashley and Foster in 1933 as "Rising Sun Blues".

Woodie Guthrie recorded his version in 1941. Interestingly it is in 4/4, not in 3/4 as the Ashley and Foster version.

What made the song famous: Eric Burdon and the Animals (in 3/4)

The heavy/psychedelic version; Frijid Pink (their only hit ever - in 4/4)

A newer heavy version - Muse (in 3/4)

I am aware that there are numerous other covers, e.g. Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, even Dolly Parton. I do not think that any of those covers is very different from the examples shown here. Thus, I will conclude this chapter with... Puddles 

This is in every beginner guitar book. Not saying simple is bad but it’s easy to copy

20 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

This is in every beginner guitar book. Not saying simple is bad but it’s easy to copy

Sorry, but you are missing the point here. The idea is to find songs that elicit very different interpretations - it does not matter how difficult it is to play the song. One  reason I chose this example is because it is rare to have a song with two different time signatures (3/4 or 4/4) about equally distributed between the cover versions.

By the way, I do not own any beginner guitar books (many years ago, I played piano and organ). However, I would guess that they all provide the 3/4 time signature of the "House of the Rising Sun".

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrW said:

Lou Reed and John Cale both had long careers after their Velvet Underground Days. My favorite John Cale song...

I can't pick a favorite Cale song... too many good ones... but I saw the other day that he's back on tour next year after covid took him and the crew out for this year.

https://john-cale.com/#

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Probably posted this previously. Still love it - wish this band had more legs.

strong Allman Bros feel here. They are grand 🙂 This next one doesn't relate musically....but Im posting it in honor of drummers with afros. This next band played many tours with Cults. The nicest people EVER.  Fast Forward to Minute 5 for the music.

Edited by muppy

the soundman Lewis Lovely is a guy who tours 24/7 with all sorts of bands. He's the bearded guy walking through the beginning of the video. U'm gointg to google who he does sound for the list is long.

This is their most commercially successful song. Mariko and my son worked on a CD and a side project called Parakeet. I'll look for that too.

Blurry picture of Lewis Lovely, Neil Finn (crowded house) and my son nate in Perth this past February 2012lewis.jpg

Edited by muppy

On 11/27/2022 at 2:53 AM, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Possibly the best dance scene in a film- Tarantino fans may disagree, but...

lol DUDE. My expectations were super high. It is super cute 🙂 but here is a fun retort. Blessings!