Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

this band has been touring with Cults on the late summer/fall  2022 US tour.  Bambi and company are based out of Portland Oregon. Indie vibe. Bambi is married to the keyboard player. The 2nd clip showing her playing the same vintage blonde Gibson Ripper bass that my son toured with for years. Until it was destroyed during Hurricane sandy in Cults practice space in NYC.

Spaceface x Reptaliens (Live @ The Echo) - YouTube

Edited by muppy

My wife commented that the colors of Sean Lennon's outfit did not match well with the color of his guitar...

Well, if this is the only problem - the rest is impressive. They play a King Crimson and a Pink Floyd cover, and those fit very well with their own songs.

Edited by DrW

16 hours ago, DrW said:

My favorite Clash song...

Two interesting covers. First, Paul Simonon himself turns it into a New Orleans-style funeral march...

Second, a different interpretation...

haha 3 versions of one song. For me that means it was a noteworthy and influential song  after it came out. I am now thinking of what iconic songs have been covered a minimum of 3 times. That would be a cool thread. 🙂 I liked Lisa Oliferovas' cover she's sultry and I like her wardrobe. The person wearing bra over a tailored shirt ...that is one UGLY look jmo

lol geez

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Sorry, just not a fan of terrible music. Please keep your evangelical crap to yourself. 

if you are referring to "Time after Time", I think your interpretation is different than the song writer's although it's likely allegorical.  https://americansongwriter.com/meaning-time-after-time-cyndi-laupers/  As for terrible music, the court of public opinion disagrees as do I and this reviewer:  https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-best-of-eva-cassidy-mw0002422992

Edited by redtail hawk

On 11/20/2022 at 8:58 AM, muppy said:

haha 3 versions of one song. For me that means it was a noteworthy and influential song  after it came out. I am now thinking of what iconic songs have been covered a minimum of 3 times. That would be a cool thread.

I am not convinced an extra thread would get enough responses. Thus, I will keep my responses to the "muppy challenge" in this thread.

My first entry: Ticket to Ride

The original:

The "punk rock" version

The psychedelic/heavy version (there are some recent live versions available, but they just document that at some point you should retire)

The aria version

Very close to the original, from one of their biggest competitors at that time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU_tOlCYGvI

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DrW said:

I am not convinced an extra thread would get enough responses. Thus, I will keep my responses to the "muppy challenge" in this thread.

My first entry: Ticket to Ride

The original:

The "punk rock" version

The psychedelic/heavy version (there are some recent live versions available, but they just document that at some point you should retire)

The aria version

Very close to the original, from one of their biggest competitors at that time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU_tOlCYGvI

I can't remember if it's Hey Joe or Yesterday that has been recorded by the most artists.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Another entry: The House of the Rising Sun

This is a very old song of unknown origin. The first recorded version was by Ashley and Foster in 1933 as "Rising Sun Blues".

Woodie Guthrie recorded his version in 1941. Interestingly it is in 4/4, not in 3/4 as the Ashley and Foster version.

What made the song famous: Eric Burdon and the Animals (in 3/4)

The heavy/psychedelic version; Frijid Pink (their only hit ever - in 4/4)

A newer heavy version - Muse (in 3/4)

I am aware that there are numerous other covers, e.g. Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, even Dolly Parton. I do not think that any of those covers is very different from the examples shown here. Thus, I will conclude this chapter with... Puddles 

Edited by DrW
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

@DrW you set a very high bar amigo. Fascinating song  choice and your musical knowledge is vast. I think this post series may have legs 🙂...Finding songs that have been deemed worthy of many different covers and styles is a lot of fun

Happy Thanksgiving!-m