Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

I had a gig tonight. What I didn't take into account was Covid fatigue. I kept going for the 3 sets on multiple Red Bulls. I got in my car, literally exhausted. I turn on my favorite radio show, The Gumbo Kitchen on Jazz FM. What comes on, this 9 minute version of pure genius!

• Like (+1) 2

The Talking Heads live on German TV a few years before "Stop Making Sense", with Adrian Belew on guitar. Belew's contributions (it was after his stint with Zappa and before joining King Crimson) give this concert a special place in the Talking Head's catalogue. My only question: Adrian, who made you wear these pants?

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Draconator said:

I had a gig tonight. What I didn't take into account was Covid fatigue. I kept going for the 3 sets on multiple Red Bulls. I got in my car, literally exhausted. I turn on my favorite radio show, The Gumbo Kitchen on Jazz FM. What comes on, this 9 minute version of pure genius!

Used to be known as "just let Barry do the asking...

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2022 at 4:58 PM, DrW said:

Starting in the 1970s, German public TV would present a few times a year a live "Rockpalast" concert. Among the hundreds of groups which appeared on Rockpalast were the Grateful Dead, the Who, the Talking Heads, U2, ...  Here is the 1977 concert of a very unique band...

BUMPEROOSKIE

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FergusontoButler said:

Talked to a few people who said Borderland in East Aurora was great yesterday. Franti and Portugal the Man had a lot of energy. I have never seen Franti live but looked up some shows and they look like a good time.  

Up today - Infamous Stringdusters + the Flaming Lips

https://fb.watch/fCVQvBYetb/

Looks fantastic.  Good reason to come to Western NY next fall.

On 5/1/2022 at 3:25 PM, KHAN said:

My Pink Floyd Tribute at State College, Pa in 2000. Sheese 22 yrs ago. I'm on guitar.

Lets Go Buffalo 🙂  always good to read/hear/watch  you mate. #passionprojects. Do you have any more youtubes besides the Hitler one? Which is a Classic.:-)

Another emphatic "yes" to Zappa's question "Does humor belong in music?". 

In 1981, an album called "Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports" was released. While Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason was a co-producer and actually played the drums, all music and lyrics were provided by Carla Bley, who is better known as a {free} jazz artist. Most vocals were by Robert Wyatt (ex-Soft Machine). In this song, they poke fun of musical "minimalists" (Satie, Cage, Glass) by addressing them "mineralists".

My personal favorite: a spoof on alien encounters...

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DrW said:

Another emphatic "yes" to Zappa's question "Does humor belong in music?". 

In 1981, an album called "Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports" was released. While Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason was a co-producer and actually played the drums, all music and lyrics were provided by Carla Bley, who is better known as a {free} jazz artist. Most vocals were by Robert Wyatt (ex-Soft Machine). In this song, they poke fun of musical "minimalists" (Satie, Cage, Glass) by addressing them "mineralists".

My personal favorite: a spoof on alien encounters...

Love the Zappa/Caravan reference here...

• Like (+1) 1