Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

This morning our local paper announced a concert by a group that had been voted Best Band in Austin in 2017. Always on the lookout for something new I decided to check them out. This was absolutely not what I had expected - they blew me away. Here they are - Shinyribs...

Edited by DrW
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/3/2022 at 8:09 AM, Ned Flanders said:

Darkness on the Edge of Town turns 44 this month.  Here's a classic from this great album.

Bruce Springsteen was HUGE in Phoenix AZ right from the start of their touring career. I lived there from 1980  - 1986 and saw him play a show at a concert venue when they lost power. Literally in the middle of the concert the place went dark. It takes  seemingly forever for they to get the power back on.  Then a spotlight comes on in the dark, pans to the stage and it's Bruce with a push broom just goofballing LOL...and even with the power delay, he played over a 4 hour show He stated at that concert how Phoenix was so supportive of he and the band how appreciative he was. And he played his ass off. THAT'S why he is THE BOSS.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, muppy said:

Bruce Springsteen was HUGE in Phoenix AZ right from the start of their touring career. I lived there from 1980  - 1986 and saw him play a show at a concert venue when they lost power. Literally in the middle of the concert the place went dark. It takes  seemingly forever for they to get the power back on.  Then a spotlight comes on in the dark, pans to the stage and it's Bruce with a push broom just goofballing LOL...and even with the power delay, he played over a 4 hour show He stated at that concert how Phoenix was so supportive of he and the band how appreciative he was. And he played his ass off. THAT'S why he is THE BOSS.

-My wife got my into Springsteen by taking me to his shows. You go to see him and you leave saying to yourself, "man - that was a great show - he was really on tonight - you could feel it - we jut saw something special". And then every time you see him, he does the same thing - the guy in playing a great show EVERY night. I didn't like or dislike Bruce before seeing him, but after seeing him live a bunch of times I'm a fan - what a performer.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, muppy said:

He mentions the Phoenix support in his book.  In the very beginning of his career, outside of NJ, Richmond, VA was also a favorite spot for him.

I first saw him in 1980 in Rochester during The River tour...seen him several times since, the last in 2016.  He's about to announce his 2023 N. American tour dates any day now.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

He mentions the Phoenix support in his book.  In the very beginning of his career, outside of NJ, Richmond, VA was also a favorite spot for him.

I first saw him in 1980 in Rochester during The River tour...seen him several times since, the last in 2016.  He's about to announce his 2023 N. American tour dates any day now.

BOOM YEP not surprised mate I lived it in PHX. I saw him again in Denver for the Born in the USA tour. But by then he was massively popular. Not the same vibe. Back then You could buy tickets and not need mortgage your house to see a show lol

Seeing he live was the Ticket. My roommate in college 🙂 she came home and played the album with Badlands on repeat in our room she singng away with the lyric ...we kind of got sick of it LOL. 

🙂

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

I researched and THIS was the AZ show I referenced where the power went out . Hubby verified. 11-5-1980

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bruce-springsteen/1980/asu-activity-center-tempe-az-1bd7adbc.html

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

listen to her sweet voice in the intro she sounds so young here. what a lovely song.

edit: one of my fav lyrics ever...m

If you're driving into town
With a dark cloud above you
Dial in the number
Who's bound to love you

Oh honey you turn me on
I'm a radio
I'm a country station
I'm a little bit corny
I'm a wildwood flower
Waving for you
Broadcasting tower
Waving for you

And I'm sending you out
This signal here
I hope you can pick it up
Loud and clear

I know you don't like weak women
You get bored so quick
And you don't like strong women
'Cause they're hip to your tricks

It's been dirty for dirty
Down the line
But you know I come when you whistle
When you're loving and kind

But if you've got too many doubts
If there's no good reception for me
Then tune me out, 'cause honey
Who needs the static

It hurts the head
And you wind up cracking
And the day goes dismal
From "Breakfast Barney"
To the sign-off prayer
What a sorry face you get to wear
I'm going to tell you again now
If you're still listening there

If you're driving into town
With a dark cloud above you
Dial in the number
Who's bound to love you

If you're lying on the beach
With the transistor going
Kick off the sandflies honey
The love's still flowing
If your head says forget it
But your heart's still smoking
Call me at the station
The lines are open

@--}--}--------------------

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

The first two minutes of this...wow, just wow!  If this doesn't get you fired up, the pilot light is out!

one of my fav Bruce songs. I just think it rocks very hard have always liked it 🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Virtual duet??? HOLY COW wowowow! Ive got shivers.

Paul McCartney- I’ve Got a Feeling (Virtual Duet- John Lennon) 6/4/2022 Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

The first two minutes of this...wow, just wow!  If this doesn't get you fired up, the pilot light is out!

bruce is like BRING IT Gimme gimme gimme extoling the crowd goes nuts and then that ridiculous back bend limbo on center mic... say what?? LOL.  and then it is bruce being Bruce...........not everybody is a fan but imo his rep is 100% justified.

B r u u u u u uu c e  

• Like (+1) 1