Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

In another thread a while ago, we touched on the topic of violinists in rock. Here is another one, Don 'Sugercane" Harris, with his short-lived band "Pure Food and Drug Act". They just had one album, "Choice Cuts", with an interesting cover of "Eleanor Rigby" (sorry, no video).

• Like (+1) 1

This is pretty cool...a different version of Dylan doing "Hurricane". A little slower...love Emmylou's harmonies...kinda cute the way she obviously doesn't feel comfortable using the "n" word...or maybe she just didn't know all the lyrics.  Great song....not sure if I like this better than the more famous version, but its pretty great.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

This is pretty cool...a different version of Dylan doing "Hurricane". A little slower...love Emmylou's harmonies...kinda cute the way she obviously doesn't feel comfortable using the "n" word...or maybe she just didn't know all the lyrics.  Great song....not sure if I like this better than the more famous version, but its pretty great.

Emmylou.  ??

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I don’t know what’s more beautiful, the woman or the voice. Thankfully, it’s a package deal.

Scott is the nephew of a friend/client. He does some interesting stuff and Morgan sure can sing.

• Like (+1) 1

Scott Bradlee and Puddles the Clown can both kiss my ass.  Stop freaking stealing and repurposing songs that never needed repurposing.   Just my 2 cents

59 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I don’t know what’s more beautiful, the woman or the voice. Thankfully, it’s a package deal.

42 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Scott Bradlee and Puddles the Clown can both kiss my ass.  Stop freaking stealing and repurposing songs that never needed repurposing.   Just my 2 cents

I don’t understand the success of Puddles the Clown, but I really enjoy PMJ and what Scott Bradlee has put together. I’d much rather hear musicians and singers of their caliber repurpose songs than say, the cast of Glee, who now have more Top 10 songs than the Beatles, Stones and Elton John combined. Now that’s a travesty.

And, Pooj, if you’re watching the video that I posted and focusing on Scott Bradlee and not, the angel who fell to Earth, Morgan James you need to reassess your priorities. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

I have no idea who Puddles the Clown is.

But while I don't like everything Bradlee does, he has improved a vast number of the trite pop tunes he's covered.  Unlike sampling and remixes (you OK with those?) he completely reworks/rearranges (not repurposed) the songs. So while they retain the lyrics and bare bones, his versions are far different from the originals. I have little use for most covers that simply play the tune as the original artist performed them.  BTW, unlike many samples, he gives full credit to the actual songwriter. 

Perhaps I feel this way, because I'm a jazz fan. Reworking songs in a particular style has always been quite accepted in jazz.  Some of the best jazz tunes are reworked standards from other songwriters. My biggest complaint about Bradlee is his choice of material to improve. While he succeeds, much of the  original material is pretty freaking ordinary, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/20/2020 at 11:35 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm not sure how I never heard these guys before.

They weren't always so accessible. There are precedents of bands going  from pretty hard stuff to catchy stuff. For instance.

to