Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

On 5/23/2020 at 11:27 PM, Ralonzo said:

I liked Nevermore.

What say you of other unappreciated octave gods of metal like Matt Barlow or John Arch?

(Apologies for the volume. If this is what happens when I miss 10 pages of music thread, I need to chill)

Arch and Barlow are definitely great singers - neither really got the credit their voices deserved, possibly because prog metal didn't have the broad appeal of some of the other genres (and much of Barlow's stuff with Iced Earth came at a time when many thought metal was dead, killed by grunge). I used to listen to Fates Warning quite a bit but mainly the stuff from the Ray Adler era (Adler is no vocal slouch, either). Much of the vocal accolades for prog metal went to Geoff Tate and you certainly can't argue that he was undeserving, especially when you listen to the Queensrych EP - Queen of the Reich and Lady Wore Black - damn......

15 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

Arch and Barlow are definitely great singers - neither really got the credit their voices deserved, possibly because prog metal didn't have the broad appeal of some of the other genres (and much of Barlow's stuff with Iced Earth came at a time when many thought metal was dead, killed by grunge). I used to listen to Fates Warning quite a bit but mainly the stuff from the Ray Adler era (Adler is no vocal slouch, either). Much of the vocal accolades for prog metal went to Geoff Tate and you certainly can't argue that he was undeserving, especially when you listen to the Queensrych EP - Queen of the Reich and Lady Wore Black - damn......

Saw them do Mindcrime on Metallica Black Album tour. Tate was mesmerizing - no human can possibly be that note-perfect live, but there he was.

Nowadays the visual presence is more of a 1930's Brooklyn street produce vendor, but the pipes are solid.

2 hours ago, The Avenger said:

Wow a Fates Warning reference.  Arch and company are from Connecticut.  I knew them back in the day.  Me and my crew even got thanked on the album credits.  Something like “rock on Madison headbangers”

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Saw them do Mindcrime on Metallica Black Album tour. Tate was mesmerizing - no human can possibly be that note-perfect live, but there he was.

Nowadays the visual presence is more of a 1930's Brooklyn street produce vendor, but the pipes are solid.

Geoff Tate is no joke and seeing him live is believing. I actually saw them on the Warning tour and got to meet them when they came through on the opening spot of the Metallica tour (college radio was a blast - free shows, band interviews, man - those were the days).

Possibly the most impressive Tate performance was the Take Hold of the Flame video from Japan - live and the last show of a full concert - even after singing a whole show Tate could belt out that song with effortless power and control - just blows you away....

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Heard this on Pandora today, not their greatest song but thought it was catchy. Im familiar with Megadeth but have never actually listened to all of their music.

Didja know that Mustaine was the guitarist for Metallica until just before they hit it big and he got kicked out?

Rust in Peace is my fave Megadeth album. 25 years after its release I was on vacay with the fam and missed the tour:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Didja know that Mustaine was the guitarist for Metallica until just before they hit it big and he got kicked out?

Rust in Peace is my fave Megadeth album. 25 years after its release I was on vacay with the fam and missed the tour:

Yep i knew about Mustaine, he got kicked out for being a consistent drunken pain in the ass. You have to be real bad for the band known as Alcoholica to kick you out lol.

Sux you missed the tour but hey there is always next time.

Definitely their best album with Holy Wars being their best song and one of the best songs ever.

• Like (+1) 2