JW: Bills Not Tempering Expectations in 2017

Different scheme, different dream after last season's nightmare under Rex and Rob.

I understand and like the players I have no idea what the Ryan boys were trying to do but other than potentially Gilmore do you think we'll miss those guys?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that folks are too hung up over labeling. Whether you call it a rebuild, retool, or overhaul, the Bills will have roughly 6-7 new starters and a ton of new depth. They are such a huge unknown right now because McD has yet to coach a game, his staff have never worked with these players, and besides the facilities the organization has a brand new look.

Frankly, it is impossible to predict the performance of this team. If you're optimistic you say that the returning starters are solid, the coaching is an upgrade, and if some breaks go their way the Bills could challenge for a playoff spot. If you're pessimistic you say they still don't have a franchise QB, they lost too much depth, and a rookie HC is going to have growing pains. There is some realism in both viewpoints.

I understand and like the players I have no idea what the Ryan boys were trying to do but other than potentially Gilmore do you think we'll miss those guys?

Would have been nice to have Gilmore back, but hopefully the team will get good production from White who looks very promising thus far. Aaron Williams at full health would have been nice, but I'm good with Hyde as his replacement. You have to hope that Poyer and Seymour will be suitable replacements for Graham and NRC.

You have a rookie HC who has no previous HC experience period. Brand new stafff. Rookie GM and totally brand new front office staff. THAT ALONE IS A REBUILD....

And the rest of the things I mentioned only add to it. Oh, BTW I forgot to mention our supposed brand new rookie RT (presumed)... We have no idea how these pieces are all going to fit together... Will TT be the QB next year? That seems to be up in the air at this point too... Same goes for Watkins really... Kyle will need to be replaced which will create another opening in the near-future. OH AND DID I MENTION THAT THE TEAM WENT 7-9 LAST YEAR!!!

Lighten up, Francis.

and if the rookie HC only wins 4-5 games this year and ends up being fired 2-3 yrs down the road are you still gonna feel the same way? Can't we just agree to sit back and see what the "kid" has? Actually this same idea should apply to most of this team... How will this yrs #1 draft pick perform/pan out? We shall see. I, like ALL Bills fans, want to see this team progress and start to win ball games.. We can all agree on that - can't we? But clearly we are in a classic rebuild here. Teams hate to use that word because it makes it tougher to sell tickets for one thing. But we have to be honest with ourselves here....

If is the middle word in life. McD is going to have to epic fail to be canned in 2-3 years. Pegs has put the pieces in place and will stick with these guys a la Pittsburgh and Tomlin.

I think rebuilding/tanking is more a question of end goals.

If the Bills want to win championships, and consistently compete for one, they're very unlikely to do so as the team is presently constructed. Tyrod Taylor is very likely not the answer long term, and without that QB, you're stuck.

Even "if the defense improves, if they get lucky on calls, if the qb sees the middle of the field, if Watkins, Wood, McCoy, Darby K.Williams, Dareus et al stay healty...." and they get all the breaks and actually break the drought, what happens next?

No one in their right mind bets the Bills in the playoffs.

What's the point of any of this? NE will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl again, or it least is certain to appear in the Conference title game. If we want to win championships, maybe it's best to think long and hard about what we really want out of this year.

But once again, it appears the Bills are middling it. Getting another 1st round pick next season, but bringing back Kyle Williams, LeSean McCoy and other aging veterans. You want to "build for the future" and "trust the process" but also want to "win every practice, every preseason game, and as many regular season games as we can."

It's a mixed message. Are you "trusting the process" or "leading the charge" (to 7-9)?

They don't have depth.

They jettisoned some solid depth(CK, MG) and replaced the FAs with draft picks.

Solid depth is lacking which is why the team will struggle and lose when the injuries hit, IMO.

If they some how remain healthy at the crucial positions they can compete for a playoff spot.

When you say "they don't have depth," you actually mean "I don't know what they have. Could be good, could be bad. So I'll just assume the worst."

Remember when all the Bills had for LB depth were two street free agents clowns named Zack Brown and Lorenzo Alexander? Dooooooomed!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

They don't have depth.

They jettisoned some solid depth(CK, MG) and replaced the FAs with draft picks.

Solid depth is lacking which is why the team will struggle and lose when the injuries hit, IMO.

If they some how remain healthy at the crucial positions they can compete for a playoff spot.

This may be the most overused phrase I've seen on TSW. Truth is, you have no idea -- none of us do.

When you say "they don't have depth," you actually mean "I don't know what they have. Could be good, could be bad. So I'll just assume the worst."

Remember when all the Bills had for LB depth were two street free agents clowns named Zack Brown and Lorenzo Alexander? Dooooooomed!

Thanks for the ray of hope, Promo! I agree: it seems like we got a steal in Hodges, who we have yet to see really play here in camp. I'm looking forward to seeing him hit, and to see his purported cover-skills in game-action against the Vikings and during the red/white scrimmages coming up this week.

Also, if Ragland ends up being depth, that's some seriously talented depth (SEC Defensive P.O.Y. in 2015!). Add to Rags the fact that I heard that Vallejo and Milano have mixed in with the 1's at camp, and that Milano had a really nice pick-6 the other day. Maybe our depth isn't as bad as people think! :beer:

Do you think trading a handful of mid round picks away the past few seasons has any impact on depth and the overall talent on the roster?

Not when you have been as good as the Bills at finding street FAs to come in and compete and make an impact. From Corbyn Bryant, to Ryan Groy, to Jerrell Worthy, to Mike Gillislee, to LoRax..... they have been good at finding cheap depth off the street to make up for the cheap depth they have not had from those mid round picks. That was the previous regime though. Can McD and Beane do the same? Because if they can't and they keep trading those picks away there may be trouble ahead.

Do you think trading a handful of mid round picks away the past few seasons has any impact on depth and the overall talent on the roster?

I don't know. I suppose "good" depth means you have competition for who will start at various positions, and you're happy with the guy who wins the job (as opposed to having to pick between two so-so options). If your starting lineup is a foregone conclusion because there's a huge dropoff to the next guy, then you either have a starting lineup full of All-Pros or you have bad depth.

Right now I see guys competing at OL, 2nd string RB, WR, and LB for sure -- and OL was considered a position group of strength.

How many NFL teams have rosters "deep" enough that they can withstand significant injuries to more than 1-2 starters?

I think rebuilding/tanking is more a question of end goals.

If the Bills want to win championships, and consistently compete for one, they're very unlikely to do so as the team is presently constructed. Tyrod Taylor is very likely not the answer long term, and without that QB, you're stuck.

Even "if the defense improves, if they get lucky on calls, if the qb sees the middle of the field, if Watkins, Wood, McCoy, Darby K.Williams, Dareus et al stay healty...." and they get all the breaks and actually break the drought, what happens next?

No one in their right mind bets the Bills in the playoffs.

What's the point of any of this? NE will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl again, or it least is certain to appear in the Conference title game. If we want to win championships, maybe it's best to think long and hard about what we really want out of this year.

But once again, it appears the Bills are middling it. Getting another 1st round pick next season, but bringing back Kyle Williams, LeSean McCoy and other aging veterans. You want to "build for the future" and "trust the process" but also want to "win every practice, every preseason game, and as many regular season games as we can."

It's a mixed message. Are you "trusting the process" or "leading the charge" (to 7-9)?

Back to my point about Rookie Head coaches thinking they have the certain magic that all the others don't to make it work.

You have a rookie HC who has no previous HC experience period. Brand new stafff. Rookie GM and totally brand new front office staff. THAT ALONE IS A REBUILD....

And the rest of the things I mentioned only add to it. Oh, BTW I forgot to mention our supposed brand new rookie RT (presumed)... We have no idea how these pieces are all going to fit together... Will TT be the QB next year? That seems to be up in the air at this point too... Same goes for Watkins really... Kyle will need to be replaced which will create another opening in the near-future. OH AND DID I MENTION THAT THE TEAM WENT 7-9 LAST YEAR!!!

....and EVERY damn one of them have more talent than anything that has been in those respective positions since the Polian era..bonafide football people......a bunch of young gun 40 somethings on a mission to win....now what??................

You may not have heard of him but Zach Brown was a former second round pick with and starter with elite athletic measurables and Alexander was known as a great special teamer..........that is the definition of good depth.

You may not have heard of him but Zach Brown was a former second round pick with and starter with elite athletic measurables and Alexander was known as a great special teamer..........that is the definition of good depth.

Some points make themselves! No hanging on the rim!

Most teams don't have depth everywhere.

The way some folks act here, every team is stocked three-deep with pro bowlers...not that making the pro Bowl means anything.

Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk