Panthers Fire GM Dave Gettleman

the NFCS hasn't had a repeat Division Champ since 2002. Yes, they've made the playoffs and the Super Bowl, but as a franchise, they're erratic. The Pats* and -well us and NYJ & MIA are the model of consistency. :wallbash:

HA!!!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a guy on the Bamonte Jones show late this afternoon, works for ESPN out of Charlotte, can't remember his name, but he basically that Gett was fired for all the reasons you state below. He said he's trying to make it all about the numbers and be cut throat like Belichick, but he doesn't have the rep to pull that off like Belichick has and that he's just been too cold to the players. He also mentioned some player was was released recently, can't recall the name but this guy was real well liked by Richardson. and felt that cutting this guy was the last straw and did him in.

He said he was brought in to be a numbers guy and make the cuts needed to straighten them out salary cap wise, but that's also been what did him in as he was too cold in his dealings.

He also talked how if Beane were still there, he'd likely been announced this afternoon already as the replacement.

There is talk here about there being blowback in the locker room for the way he handled the release of some good or well liked players
The Steve Smith release could have been handled better( though I liked it)
The release of Josh Norman also was handled weirdly, and was a disaster for the team. Then he cut Bene Benwikere and last years D backfield was brutal.
The o line hasn't gotten the attention it needed and Cam was running for his life last year.
Couple this with the fact that Jerry Richardson is a strange cat who likes to be boss and is a " Southern" guy dealing with a yankee who probably told JR what he really thought w/o sugar coating it.
This is a shock but understandable

Those fans are idiots. They are bashing a guy who has won a national championship, a headman, set rookie passing records, won a MVP with Ted Ginn as his #1 wr, & went to a SB. It's refreshing to know there are other dumb fans.

Half of the people in Charlotte are from Ohio and Western NY!

There sure are alot of transplants,and they are mostly unwelcome! Thats why I said the locals. ..born and raised👍

- Secondly someone wondered if he'd go back to Carolina because he lived in the South his whole life. North Carolina isn't the south it's the Mid-Atlantic at best. Here's a quick guide to determining, "is that the South?" If the state university plays in the SEC it's a yes with a couple of exceptions. Kentucky is too far north, Missouri is too far mid-west and Florida is its own little world. Texas functions like Florida. That leaves South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana as "the south."

Sorry, Kirby, but that is a pretty goofy assessment of "What is the South". Based on SEC or not? Duh.

I have been living in NC for 2+ years now, and it is definitely "the South" despite all the Northern transplants due to jobs here.

Missouri is "the South without the hospitality".

Arkansas and Mississippi are virtually the same place. I don't care for either of them.

No Alabama and Mississippi are hte same state. Arkansas had Clintons. hah ha.

and always felt different to me. Much different than Georgia. Arkansas is Central US or middle ground

Panthers are getting weird. these major changes lead to what ?

Edited by 3rdand12

A couple of things:

- Beane got in the life boat on the Titanic instead of playing as the ship was going down. He's basically Kool & the Gang from Steve Harvey's set in Original Kings of Comesy. That's a good decision.

- Secondly someone wondered if he'd go back to Carolina because he lived in the South his whole life. North Carolina isn't the south it's the Mid-Atlantic at best. Here's a quick guide to determining, "is that the South?" If the state university plays in the SEC it's a yes with a couple of exceptions. Kentucky is too far north, Missouri is too far mid-west and Florida is its own little world. Texas functions like Florida. That leaves South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana as "the south."

Besides North Carolina's name has north in it. It isn't a part of the south.

That leaves South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana as "the south."

Oops, you forgot to include South Dakota in the list.

Sorry, Kirby, but that is a pretty goofy assessment of "What is the South". Based on SEC or not? Duh.

I have been living in NC for 2+ years now, and it is definitely "the South" despite all the Northern transplants due to jobs here.

Missouri is "the South without the hospitality".

As the 538 article would indicate NC definitely believes that they are the South. At 60% of the vote though they didn't get much love from the "Deep South." That's been my point the whole time!! I wasn't trying to debate. Different regions have different perspectives as to who falls into which region. It's even crazier in the Midwest apparently (at least according to 538). I've never lived in the Midwest so I can't provide any perspective. Having spent 26 years in the North and 10 years in the South I understand how each region perceives the South. That's what I was trying to bring to the table. Everyone that I know in Buffalo would say that NC is the South. Everyone that I know in Louisiana would say the opposite. Thought that it would make an interesting discussion. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I vowed to move on but this was fun: https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/which-states-are-in-the-south/amp/

P.S: I apologize for the thread derailment but does anyone really give a crap about fat Dave Gettleman getting canned? I promise to stay on topic once camp starts. It's the offseason!!

At first I was like Kirby has lost his mind - but I get you now. Good stuff!

Quite the lesson in Geography fellas. NC is definitely considered the South just to throw in my two.

On the note of the firing, there has to be more to the story and I fully expect it to trickle out over the next couple of days. Other than the way Norman was handled he seems to have done a good job.

:o

Yeah, I always think of DeAngelo Williams as a smart veteran with an incredible reputation for his charitable efforts. If it were just Josh Norman you could chalk it up to sour grapes. Once Williams chimed in it carried a lot more weight. Gettleman doesn't seem to have many fans.

At first I was like Kirby has lost his mind - but I get you now. Good stuff!

Insert beer emoji

Just focus on the last sentence. Those 7 states are the whole list. If anyone tells you differently they are lying. Associating NC with the South is like associating Buffalo with NYC. They can put whatever discriminatory laws they want in place but they are still a far cry from the general disdain for those who are different that those other states share.

That's a load of ****. I live in SC. I am also from western NY originally and can tell you that the western NY is far more racist than SC. Your statement is #FakeNews, and Buffalo is a lot like NYC and California I can see.