Panthers Fire GM Dave Gettleman

Just focus on the last sentence. Those 7 states are the whole list. If anyone tells you differently they are lying. Associating NC with the South is like associating Buffalo with NYC. They can put whatever discriminatory laws they want in place but they are still a far cry from the general disdain for those who are different that those other states share.

I'm not understanding what your saying. Why are you saying NC isn't the south?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things:

- Beane got in the life boat on the Titanic instead of playing as the ship was going down. He's basically Kool & the Gang from Steve Harvey's set in Original Kings of Comesy. That's a good decision.

- Secondly someone wondered if he'd go back to Carolina because he lived in the South his whole life. North Carolina isn't the south it's the Mid-Atlantic at best. Here's a quick guide to determining, "is that the South?" If the state university plays in the SEC it's a yes with a couple of exceptions. Kentucky is too far north, Missouri is too far mid-west and Florida is its own little world. Texas functions like Florida. That leaves South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana as "the south."

Besides North Carolina's name has north in it. It isn't a part of the south.

A couple of things:

- Secondly someone wondered if he'd go back to Carolina because he lived in the South his whole life. North Carolina isn't the south it's the Mid-Atlantic at best. Here's a quick guide to determining, "is that the South?" If the state university plays in the SEC it's a yes with a couple of exceptions. Kentucky is too far north, Missouri is too far mid-west and Florida is its own little world. Texas functions like Florida. That leaves South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana as "the south."

How about if he wants to go back to NC because he was born, raised, grew up, went to college in, and lived in NC his whole life.

Does that make it a little easier as to why someone would wonder about it? Who cares if NC is part of the south or not? Even though it actually is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Parts of NC are even considered part of the "deep south". When they were classified as south by way of civil war actions they knew nothing of SEC sports and football.

Edited by cba fan

I'm not understanding what your saying. Why are you saying NC isn't the south?

It's not. South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama is it.

How about if he wants to go back to NC because he was born, raised, grew up, went to college in, and lived in NC his whole life.

Does that make it a little easier as to why someone would wonder about it? Who cares if NC is part of the south or not? Even though it actually is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Parts of NC are even considered part of the "deep south". When they were classified as south by way of civil war actions they knew nothing of SEC sports and football.

Being from NC is fine. I was just responding to someone that said "he spent his whole life in the South." The South doesn't consider NC a part of the South.

I'm simply giving a quick geography lesson and how the South views things. Having spent a decade now in the South I have a pretty good take. I spent the first 26 years in the North so I know how they view things.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's not. South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama is it.

Being from NC is fine. I was just responding to someone that said "he spent his whole life in the South." The South doesn't consider NC a part of the South.

I'm simply giving a quick geography lesson and how the South views things. Having spent a decade now in the South I have a pretty good take. I spent the first 26 years in the North so I know how they view things.

The Southern United States as defined by the United States Census Bureau.

Us_south_census.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Just focus on the last sentence. Those 7 states are the whole list. If anyone tells you differently they are lying. Associating NC with the South is like associating Buffalo with NYC. They can put whatever discriminatory laws they want in place but they are still a far cry from the general disdain for those who are different that those other states share.

People in NC can read so it's definitely not a true Southern state!

You mean the kind of franchise that has MVPs, Players of the Year, Rookies of the Year and goes to the playoffs, including a super bowl?

Who wants to emulate THAT?!!?

the NFCS hasn't had a repeat Division Champ since 2002. Yes, they've made the playoffs and the Super Bowl, but as a franchise, they're erratic. The Pats* and -well us and NYJ & MIA are the model of consistency. :wallbash:

Now the truth finally starts to come out. apparently Mcdermett didn't have to recruit Beane as hard to leaves as we have lead to believe. If Beane was any good or as valuable as being portrayed he would have never been allowed to leave for the bills. He only has the bills job because of his relationship with the coach. First time GM, First time head coach, both learning on the job together. I hope this work out for us bills fan.

Maybe we can use PFF and show Carolina that Tyrod is actually a better qb than Cam. :)

And was it him or the previous guy who seemed to be in love with rbs?

Panthers fans are about as divided on Cam as we are on Tyrod. You could probably find some fans on their forum that have the "unpopular opinion" that Tyrod would be better than Cam moving forward. We aren't the only fan base that debates our QB past the point of sanity!

Now the truth finally starts to come out. apparently Mcdermett didn't have to recruit Beane as hard to leaves as we have lead to believe. If Beane was any good or as valuable as being portrayed he would have never been allowed to leave for the bills. He only has the bills job because of his relationship with the coach. First time GM, First time head coach, both learning on the job together. I hope this work out for us bills fan.

Oh come on now.

I'm not sure if you're referring to people outside of NC considering it the South or the folks from here. I can tell you the people here definitely consider themselves southerners.

I don't care how the census bureau defines the South. I'm telling you how the South defines the South. This is knowledge that you can't learn in a textbook. Much like Buffalo is more similar to the Midwest than NY the South is those 7 states regardless of how others define it. Anything to the contrary is an alternative fact. You'll hear things like "Deep South" which is ultimately means that they cling strongest to their southern values and roots. No one in those states uses Deep South to differentiate from places like NC. That's just consider NC with Maryland, DC and Virginia. Virginia is the 6th most educated state for crying out loud. That's not the South. If you include Kentucky with those other 7 states they rank 23 (Georgia), 35, 41, 44, 46, 47, 48 & 49 in terms of education. Kentucky is the love child of the Midwest and the south.

I'm kind of half joking with this but not at the same time. North Carolina, Virginia, etc... much more closely identify with the North than the South at this point. Within those 7 states Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville would probably share similarities with places like Charlotte. If you were to drive an hour in any direction though from any of those cities you'd see a vastly different world.

I'm not sure if you're referring to people outside of NC considering it the South or the folks from here. I can tell you the people here definitely consider themselves southerners.

Ha ha, that's why it's a funny conversation. I bet Virginia (or at least the parts not surrounding D.C.) feel the same. The people in SEC territory think differently. It's kind of funny.

@NFLMedia

Panthers play-by-play announcer Mick Mixon joined @nflnetwork earlier to discuss the firing of GM Dave Gettleman: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000820268/Panthers-play-by-play-announcer-shocked-by-Gettleman-firing

It struck me as odd that Mixon refers to the organization as "we" -- I mean, yes, I know he's an employee, but he's not making front office decisions. You'd think he would say "we" when he's talking about the radio crew.