All-time RBs in today's NFL

rafter

Its slow NFL season and I was bored. I was watching some highlights of alltime great RBs and it got me thinking..

Which RB from history could in their prime be good in todays NFL. Considering their size, speed etc. Knowing some stats might be hard because many predate them.

Just curious what your guys thoughts were? How far do we need to go back for the NFL to be different enough to matter?

I'll chime in more when I see some responses and think about it.

Look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Bo Jackson was an absolute freak athlete and is highly underrated all time. He was busy with baseball and didn't really have an offseason to train and look how dominant he was.

Herschel Walker could probably play today...at 55 years old. The guy is a beast.

Barry Sanders was the most elusive RB I've ever seen. Look what he did while being on terrible teams with no QB. He might be the best ever but we will never know because they didn't have free agency back then and he was stuck in Detroit so he decided to retire in his prime rather than continue playing for a bad team

Barry Sanders was the most elusive RB I've ever seen. Look what he did while being on terrible teams with no QB. He might be the best ever but we will never know because they didn't have free agency back then and he was stuck in Detroit so he decided to retire in his prime rather than continue playing for a bad team

Full free agency started in 1993. Barry played until 1998. So yes they had free agency back then. He also signed a huge contract extension in 1997 to stay there.

Bo Jackson was an absolute freak athlete and is highly underrated all time. He was busy with baseball and didn't really have an offseason to train and look how dominant he was.

Herschel Walker could probably play today...at 55 years old. The guy is a beast.

I don't think he is underrated. I think its more that he had such a short career that you really can't be considered an all-timer. Most people know how amazing he was for that short time, especially if you were old enough to witness it. He would be successful today, no doubt. Also, OJ and Barry for sure. Not sure on Jim Brown though, run through you every time type guys don't really exist anymore. I think Dickerson would be successful too.

Everyone would have some trouble because defenders are so much bigger and stronger than they were in previous eras. This is especially true for the bigger backs. Jim Brown was bigger than half the defensive ends he played against. He might have a little more trouble breaking the DEs tackle as he goes around the line and running over the LB these days.

The guys that relied primarily on quickness and vision would probably do the best. Being a good receiver would also be a big plus in today's game. I like Barry Sanders, Marcus Allen, Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk or Thurman Thomas.

Edited by vincec

Disagree. He may be the one of the most prolific RB's of all time in yds/c or yds/g but he doesn't get points for "what could have been." He may be the most underrated RB who ever played only half of four seasons, but he's certainly not underrated when compared to backs that came close to the same production for their entire careers.

Totally agree there.

Being a good receiver would also be a big plus in today's game. I like Barry Sanders, Marcus Allen, Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk or Thurman Thomas.

Yeah Thurman > OJ in today's NFL for the simple fact that he could catch the ball. Running backs need to have that in their repertoire these days if they want to be considered a feature back or a high profile star.

Disagree. He may be the one of the most prolific RB's of all time in yds/c or yds/g but he doesn't get points for "what could have been." He may be the most underrated RB who ever played only half of four seasons, but he's certainly not underrated when compared to backs that came close to the same production for their entire careers.

We are more or less looking at these guys in their prime and picking a player for our team now. You wouldn't pick Bo Jackson? I don't care if so and so did it longer. Bo did it without even trying. He was like I guess I'll play football today and went out and dominated. Plus he was one of the top video game characters ever. He was unstoppable in Tecmo Bowl!

We are more or less looking at these guys in their prime and picking a player for our team now. You wouldn't pick Bo Jackson? I don't care if so and so did it longer. Bo did it without even trying. He was like I guess I'll play football today and went out and dominated. Plus he was one of the top video game characters ever. He was unstoppable in Tecmo Bowl!

So sad how his career ended, would have never happened today. He would have been properly tested for his injuries.

Also makes you wonder if a guy like that would have even bothered with football in this era. By that I mean making huge $ in baseball without the physical risks of football.

Walter Payton would be great in any era.

I'd love to see what Earl Campbell would look like in today's game.

------------------

He would get flagged for unsportsmanlike every time a DB tried to tackle him. It would just not be fair, but fun to watch for sure.

hard not to include Emmitt in the mix.....Walter Payton was fun to watch and the lad died FAR too early.......Sayers was another one......LOL, Herschel was talking comeback at 53....Sanders had more moves than ExLax......Campbell was a runaway Mack truck......guy had Robert Newhouse thighs...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Walter Payton would be great in any era.

I'd love to see what Earl Campbell would look like in today's game.

Campbell is my all time favorite RB, but he wouldn't be as effective vs the big boys today. He would still be a very, very good RB, because he was more than just power, but he wouldn't be the human highlight reel of power running that he was in his era.

I had the honor of watching OJ Simpson's full career and he was incredible. Still, I think that some of the things that Barry Sanders did were even more amazing. Both were essentially the only offensive threat on their team and, as such, defenses knew what was coming and still couldn't stop it. THAT is true dominance.

I had the honor of watching OJ Simpson's full career and he was incredible. Still, I think that some of the things that Barry Sanders did were even more amazing. Both were essentially the only offensive threat on their team and, as such, defenses knew what was coming and still couldn't stop it. THAT is true dominance.

....guess the strength of the OSU running game is clearly defined...Barry as Thurmal's BACKUP......Thurmal goes in the 2nd due to suspect knee injury (STILL remembering Thomas in 1988 draft waiting and hoping until the 2nd)...BOTH HOF'ers epitomized their position IMO.....