What's Your Definition of a Successful 2017 Bills Season

Virgil

Having a winning record in our division including beating the cheaters at least once if not sweeping them.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

Sweeping NE* would be HUGE! -even if we have an overall losing record. For as powerful as they are, 2 W's vs them would be a real indicator our new coach can match game day wits & schemes w/ Vadar and finally show a chink in their Deathstar no other Rebel Force has been able to achieve.

May the Force be with us!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I woke up the quiet coach of an intercity train with a roar when the notification came through to my phone.

As a daily user of the quiet car on my local line, I can imagine you got quite a few well deserved nasty looks. People on my train take that stuff seriously....

As a daily user of the quiet car on my local line, I can imagine you got quite a few well deserved nasty looks. People on my train take that stuff seriously....

I did. And people on the Manchester to London train were unlikely to be understanding when I explained that the Buffalo Bills had sacked their coach.

Determining, by mid-season, whether Tyrod is staying or going.

Determining whether Sam Watkins is staying or going.

Playing more disciplined football - especially on D.

Seeing excellent game management skills from McDermott.

Not ending the season near .500. Either win enough to get to the playoffs, or lose enough to get a top 3 pick.

Well said Gugny, spot on the way I feel too.

The 6-10/7-9 BS needs to end. Playoffs or bust

Edited by Real McCoy

Given pessimism is required with almost everything else, football is the one chance to be a sunny optimist. Can the Bills win 10 games and a wild-card spot? Without a doubt. Last year they were beset by injuries, had less-than-ideal coaching, and played a schedule everyone thought difficult heading into the season. Also : The defense painfully underperformed. Yet they would have won over 10 games just by beating the Jets and Dolphins alone. They could have had a pretty spectacular season if they'd also pulled out some of the games where they were a definite underdog, but still played close, - such as Seattle or Pittsburg. All this team needs is a bit of luck with injuries, the defense to gel, the offense to add a dash of consistency. Is that too much to ask?

While, I agree that statistically it seems we are due to have the ball bounce our way and sneak into the playoffs:

Which would point up the absolute pro ability of our new coaching staff.

I'm also concerned it would doom us to continued mediocrity and the potential to trash another coaching staff when TT isn't the answer and it is year 3 that they are drafting a franchise QB.

I agree with much of what the OP said. If we were to lose a bunch of close games but have a bunch of rookies gain experience. If our HC/GM combo used the season to find "their guys" on this current roster and use the info to strengthen it next year.

If next year we were a 8-8 to 10-6 team on the way to a decade of legitimate contention..... that would make this a successful season. Kinda like the draft, it may take a few years and hindsight to know for sure

I'm looking forward to this upcoming season because my expectations aren't very high. This is an experience year to me for our rookies and Coach. It's rare to have rookies contribute in a way that changes a teams path. Rookies Head Coaches always go through their growing pains. The Pats look stacked moreso than last year. Our schedule doesn't have many easy wins. This season reminds me of our 3-13 season, which was one of my favorites. Not because I think we will only win 3 games, but because I knew we were going to learn and get better.

So for me, here's what I'm hoping to see this season:

1. Tyrod solidifies the job, or they finish with a top 5 pick and we get our QB (Either Way, I think the QB question is answered going into 2018)
  2. The rookies show enough promise to be solid starters going forward. Jones at WR is the most crucial to me if Sammy doesn't earn his payday. However.....
  3. Sammy earns his payday. I hope he stays healthy all year and earns a pro-bowl spot
  4. LT position is solidified
  5. We are in all of our games and keep it close against the Pats by the season end.
  6. The season ends with us drafting Best Available, not for need again
  7. Dareus earns his contract
  8. Lorax continues his dominance
  9. Hauschka misses less XP's than Carpenter
  10. Brady gets hurt

For those who think this is a beaten down attitude, maybe. But I don't think any team with this much transition and in our division would that great. Just my humble opinion

This would be a hugely successful season IMO. I'd settle for #s 1, 7, 4 in that order, the caveat being no worse than 7-9.

...and that's why we're Bills fans. That's how low our team has set the bar. FML.

Agreed. Let's leave the "whatever they do it isn't enough" until the "whatever" is at the very least double digit wins.

Lol, so you pretty much agree that when we do break the drought it won't be enough?

I know it "offends" certain people to talk this way. But it's the truth. I have followed the Bills since '66. I know the drill.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Your essentially referring to every fan everywhere.

There will always be fans that will B word and moan no matter what. The bitching and moaning here, at this point in time, is more then warranted. The football team has been laughable. A disgrace. They deserve every bit of criticism they receive.

large.png

Playoffs.

Now, there are a few non-playoff scenarios that I guess I would call successful. Like going 11-5 and somehow not making the playoffs on the tie-breaker rules. And there can be season that are good to build on, that make me hopeful for the future, etc., but I don't think I'd call that successful.

It's like this: Football is about winning. End of the day, nothing else matters. Stats are for losers.

The primary measure of winning is making the playoffs. If you aren't winning enough to make the playoffs, you aren't relevant.

Make the playoffs. It's the first step toward winning it all.

Lol, so you pretty much agree that when we do break the drought it won't be enough

How did you get that from my posts in this thread? I have said I am more bothered this year by performance rather than win total. All I said above before we start saying fans will never be satisfied lets wait until the Bills give us something to be satisfied over.

You can check my posting history I was pretty satisfied with both of the Marrone years because I saw some things I felt I needed to see for me to feel good about the future. The last two years not so much.

When we become a Texans or Bengals make the playoffs a few years in a row but lose early then probably fans will not be satisfied and you can come here and tell them they will never be satisfied. But you can't tell them that when they have only seen 2 winning seasons (both no playoffs) in 17 freaking years!