Calvin Johnson admits why he retired: Lions were hopeless

I'm thinking that the best thing that can happen for the long term success of the Bills is for Tyrod to figure it out under a new scheme in 2017. They simply have to stabilize that roster spot...or it will be years before a Rookie gets his act together in a meaningful way.

Tyrod sucks. Get over it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are dangerously close if not already at the Lions state of hopelessness and irrelevance. The Pegula's get more time as owners as they just put in their GM and coach. However, if an answer is not found at QB soon the Bills will be nothing more than a practice game for the cheats* twice a season.

He went the Barry Sanders route. I don't blame him, but, I see why some fans here worry about people not wanting to play here or stay here.

....exactly.....if your personal finances/investments say you can survive without football, why not?....FA means potential to uproot your family/kids, start over elsewhere, wonder how long before you get cut as you age or a potentially nomadic life.....sad to see Barry go but cannot blame him.....he left with his health so far....ditto for Johnson IMO.........

He went the Barry Sanders route. I don't blame him, but, I see why some fans here worry about people not wanting to play here or stay here.

There is a difference, at one time we were THE team in the AFC. We won all the time, playoffs were just a thing that happened every year and superbowl was a real possibility. It will take getting there again with draft picks and I believe we can.

The lions for decades (outside of their QB) have sucked at drafting. Plus who wants to live in a city that is half shut down? Detroit is disgusting

There is a difference, at one time we were THE team in the AFC. We won all the time, playoffs were just a thing that happened every year and superbowl was a real possibility. It will take getting there again with draft picks and I believe we can.

The lions for decades (outside of their QB) have sucked at drafting. Plus who wants to live in a city that is half shut down? Detroit is disgusting

Football players don't have to live in the city where they play during the offseason. Johnson made enough money to get out of Detroit any chance he wanted. It's not as if Detroit doesn't have wealthy suburbs either.

Well isn't Calvin Johnson a great role model. When life doesn't go your way, just quit.

Of course the other side of the coin is this : Suppose you were financially set for life and didn't enjoy your job anymore?

What would you do?

True. But the Lions made the playoffs right before he signed the extension. Maybe he was feeling a little better about the franchise at the time?

If he wasn't already very wealthy then he would have felt much better about the lions. Was it a factor? Sure. Was it *the* reason? No way. He would have worked with them or demanded a trade to a contender in that case.

Of course the other side of the coin is this : Suppose you were financially set for life and didn't enjoy your job anymore?

What would you do?

I understand. I just know that a lot of hall of famers played on losing teams their entire careers. Of course every competitive athlete wants to win, but some guys love the game too much to quit. Johnson must be wired differently than some.

I understand. I just know that a lot of hall of famers played on losing teams their entire careers. Of course every competitive athlete wants to win, but some guys love the game too much to quit. Johnson must be wired differently than some.

A few distinctions--

With at most very limited exceptions I'd guess his last contract was worth more than almost all those guys career earnings combined

He has access to better medical information than any that came before him

To be totally honest- I sometimes wonder if the guys that hang on past the point of being reasonable are just as much fear of leaving as love of staying

A few distinctions--

With at most very limited exceptions I'd guess his last contract was worth more than almost all those guys career earnings combined

He has access to better medical information than any that came before him

To be totally honest- I sometimes wonder if the guys that hang on past the point of being reasonable are just as much fear of leaving as love of staying

I'm not going to bash Johnson for his decision to retire. I just think that some guys are wired to love the game too much to walk away. It's hard to walk away from something you love, no matter how harmful it may be to oneself.

Eric Moulds was. He was phenomenal. God what he could have done with decent QBs throughout his career...

He was good. Amani Toomer level. Buffalo is jacked on him because he was the only bright spot on a lot of blah team's.

Mounds had tremendous physicality and athleticism. Good speed. Average to below hands.

At a league wide level, he was top ten in his era.

Schoebel had good stats but no one missed him when he left. Spikes about the same. Losses but not huge.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

No. He compared those players to Calvin Johnson AND Barry Sanders.....

Does my post suggest I compared these players?

The point of the post was that Buffalo wasted talent as much or more than Detroit has. The sad part is those are the three best players I could think of in almost 15 years.

Does my post suggest I compared these players?

The point of the post was that Buffalo wasted talent as much or more than Detroit has. The sad part is those are the three best players I could think of in almost 15 years.

If those were the best three, I guess you could actually say that we haven't wasted that much talent.