Why the Playoffs are a Real Possibility

H2o

despite the defense regressing, the secondary all but non-existent and watkins and dareus out or not contributing very much of the year last season- the bills were in contention for the WC quite late in the year.

if the offense can keep from losing anything and the defense takes shape / improves like we believe it can they could be in a better position this season, especially if ragland and lawson step up as well.

Edited by jethro_tull

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This O will have to be better than the "good enough" some thought we were last season.... The team will have to be DOMINANT. -Looking at the roster I don't see that at all.

A 6-1 start would better grab my attention...Deliver the candy, and save the sweet-talk for later.

Why not, just eliminate the penalties will be a huge improvement. Health is another. Remember last year the raiders were on a roll then David Car got hurt. That can happen to any team at any time. The Bills have been inundated with injuries over the past few years, maybe it's our turn to have the luck, and that is what it is luck, to stay healthy this year. The other main factor I like is the discipline and preparation the team will have from the new coaching staff, it will be like night and day! Let's do it.

I'm a fan too Brother, just a little too much "Best case scenario" in th OP's post.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be an insufferable pain in the arse to all the Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Panthers fans I work with if the scenario turned out😍😍😍

It's that time of year..... we are ALL chomping at the bit for it to start.

Last year, I couldn't because of Ryan. There was NO hope!!! This year, I see a glimmer. It might be a mirage but it's still shiny until it's not.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

Why not. For one reason, if we can stay healthy for the whole season that would be a miracle!, second they Ryan's are gone, third. Whaley is gone. So far so good! Great new head coach, fresh start, new GM, New scouting staff and asst coaches. Very good. New attitude brought to organization. About time. Finally a real fundamental, disciplined, mentoring, team oriented, business like approach to team operations. The team has bought in, understands what has been missing, relishes the chance to compete and contend and get the respect they deserve. The Bills now are building a foundation for a smart football organization, whose goal is to improve every chance they have to achieve their goal a Super Bowl.

I'm a fan too Brother, just a little too much "Best case scenario" in th OP's post.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be an insufferable pain in the arse to all the Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Panthers fans I work with if the scenario turned out😍😍😍

It's that time of year..... we are ALL chomping at the bit for it to start.

Last year, I couldn't because of Ryan. There was NO hope!!! This year, I see a glimmer. It might be a mirage but it's still shiny until it's not.

there is always hope. I agree, with ryans circus there wasn't any for me either. it seems there is some change in the air. I am optimistic about the future and I am ready for the season to start too!

GO BILLS!!!

..why shouldn't the playoffs be a realistic goal?..mediocrity breeds contempt....it hasn't been since the Polian era that we have built a formidable organization from the top down IMO........Pegula has spared NO expense in hiring Beane and letting him assemble a staff consisting of many former VP's and Personnel Directors...and TP landed his guy as HC, green yes, but from pretty good pedigree starting with legendary DC, the late Jim Johnson followed by a stint with Rivera.....all on paper?...of course, but the paper is lookin' good so far...McD can return this defense to pre-Wrecks dismantling.....have confidence in Dennison devising an offense conducive to TT's strengths as well as steering away from his weaknesses.....Leslie & McD will get the defense right...sure there is plenty of player uncertainty with newbees and those returning from injuries (same for the other 31) ...now if all translates to between the stripes, 2017 could shape up to be a very interesting year IMO.......stay tuned.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

has to be

The Pats haven't kept us from winning a Wild card for 17 years....,.

I'm sorry but hanging two losses on us annually is a part. When you often have about a half dozen teams within about two games in December- if we could have split that series annually instead of losing out we would've seen us get in at some point I'd bet.

That's not to say the bills have no share of the blame in not winning enough games but when you start in an 0-2 hole almost every year, even if you are in that mess of wild card teams you will need extra breaks to get in.

I'm sorry but hanging two losses on us annually is a part. When you often have about a half dozen teams within about two games in December- if we could have split that series annually instead of losing out we would've seen us get in at some point I'd bet.

That's not to say the bills have no share of the blame in not winning enough games but when you start in an 0-2 hole almost every year, even if you are in that mess of wild card teams you will need extra breaks to get in.

Who's job is it to win?

It's the Bill's job!!!!

Remember when EJ almost beat them?

The last time I legitimately thought we had a chance to beat them was.....?

It's an attitude that I hope changes under McD.

So, I agree, it's a beyatch having them in our division but if we are EVER going to win a Super Bowl we need to win against any team.

And now you have me dreaming......Just think about us getting a bonifde win over the Pats this year.

Sweet Baby Jesus, that would make it a successful season right there💕

Who's job is it to win?

It's the Bill's job!!!!

Remember when EJ almost beat them?

The last time I legitimately thought we had a chance to beat them was.....?

It's an attitude that I hope changes under McD.

So, I agree, it's a beyatch having them in our division but if we are EVER going to win a Super Bowl we need to win against any team.

And now you have me dreaming......Just think about us getting a bonifde win over the Pats this year.

Sweet Baby Jesus, that would make it a successful season right there💕

Yea, I don't know that most of those interchangeable wild card teams are beating the pats most years either... but if we are ever going to get there obviously we have to.

Kind of two discussions there though - how to win the wildcard and how to win the super bowl obviously has overlap but if we are talking about winning it all, winning the division is a better starter than how to be competing for a wild card slot

Yea, I don't know that most of those interchangeable wild card teams are beating the pats most years either... but if we are ever going to get there obviously we have to.

Kind of two discussions there though - how to win the wildcard and how to win the super bowl obviously has overlap but if we are talking about winning it all, winning the division is a better starter than how to be competing for a wild card slot

Absolutely!!!! Let's hope we finally have a Manager/Coach duo to get us there

Gotta love the optimism and I don't disagree that there strong propabiities that our passing game improves in 2017

That TT takes a step forward with new coaching

And based on our running game we end up with a top 8-10 offense

A healthy Sammy will make a huge impact, Dawkins/New FB's might make an impact

We will if see if losing Gilly/Woods, new blocking scheme, hurts

However I cannot share the optimism about the probabilities our D is going to improve greatly

Just because Ryan has been banished

Let alone pronoucniations of being anywhere near top 10

Isn't this a message board boast every off season?

The reality is too many talented D bodies left or were released

The expectation is just about everyone has to exceed how they performed in 2016 and at the same time stay healthy

So too much uncertainty in our back 7 to share the glee

But sure if Ragland become a game changing MLB

If Hodges is the run stopper he was last year

If this very inexperienced secondary all gels due to coaching and scheme

Hyde suddenly becomes a starter he hasn't been to date

Poyer doesn't suck, Darby returns to year 1 form, White emerges, Seymour becomes a great nickel

Anything is possible, including the playoffs, but it's asking an awful awful lot to happen all at the same time

No doubt we will better than 30th vs the run with Ragland/Hodges, safety changes, scheme change

I can also see our front 4 improving on our 2016 17th QB pressure ranking to maybe top 10

But at the same time I'm just not convinced our 21st ranked 2016 pass D will improve

But rather it might unfort decline, PFF just rated it as one the worst in the NFL

Sorry...

jc

....the NFL is wildly unpredictable....ever think Buffalo could lose 4 consecutive Super Bowls?.......ever think they would be OH FER 17?......Moo's 2004 club couldn't beat the 3rd string Steelers and missed the playoffs at 9-7...forecasts for 2005 were pretty rosy and the wheels fell off at 5-11.....2008 Steelers won the SB and missed the playoffs in 2009.....Brady goes down in 2008 as a death knell yet Cassel leads Pats to 11-5 and they MISSED the playoffs....just a few examples of "you never know".......so we'll "Play It Again Sam".....stay tuned........

Gotta love the optimism and I don't disagree that there strong propabiities that our passing game improves in 2017

That TT takes a step forward with new coaching

And based on our running game we end up with a top 8-10 offense

A healthy Sammy will make a huge impact, Dawkins/New FB's might make an impact

We will if see if losing Gilly/Woods, new blocking scheme, hurts

However I cannot share the optimism about the probabilities our D is going to improve greatly

Just because Ryan has been banished

Let alone pronoucniations of being anywhere near top 10

Isn't this a message board boast every off season?

The reality is too many talented D bodies left or were released

The expectation is just about everyone has to exceed how they performed in 2016 and at the same time stay healthy

So too much uncertainty in our back 7 to share the glee

But sure if Ragland become a game changing MLB

If Hodges is the run stopper he was last year

If this very inexperienced secondary all gels due to coaching and scheme

Hyde suddenly becomes a starter he hasn't been to date

Poyer doesn't suck, Darby returns to year 1 form, White emerges, Seymour becomes a great nickel

Anything is possible, including the playoffs, but it's asking an awful awful lot to happen all at the same time

No doubt we will better than 30th vs the run with Ragland/Hodges, safety changes, scheme change

I can also see our front 4 improving on our 2016 17th QB pressure ranking to maybe top 10

But at the same time I'm just not convinced our 21st ranked 2016 pass D will improve

But rather it might unfort decline, PFF just rated it as one the worst in the NFL

Sorry...

jc

I just look at the reported reasons on why the D struggled......and hope that those can be fixed

It wasnt a talent issue....we have talented players

DVOA

How does that relate to the top 8 playoff teams?

Does it equate to Winning?

One side of the ball never tells the full story. However;

4 of the top 4 DVOA Offenses made the playoffs (ATL 1, NE* 2, DAL 3, GB 4) and the top 2 met in the Super Bowl.

6 of the top 8 (OAK 7, PIT 8)

and 9 of the top 15 (KC 13, MIA 14, DET 15)

The 3 playoff teams not in the top 15 DVOA Offense were HOU, NYG, and SEA, who were 7, 2, and 5 in DVOA Defense.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

DVOA

How does that relate to the top 8 playoff teams?

Does it equate to Winning?

The top 2 DVOA offenses last year played in the Super Bowl. 4 of the top 5 were playoff teams. It probably does the best job of "telling the story" as any set of stats. Obviously teams like New Orleans are always going to rank highly on the offensive side but because of their defensive struggles aren't a playoff team.