St. Doug Laying the Groundwork

Those who defend Maroon as a good coach baffle me. This guy's first NFL challenge was on a NE fumble that we didn't even recover. He put players in the doghouse that performed when he was finally forced to play them. He's an idiot and a quitter, and we were well rid of him.

Marrone is just an a-hole, plain and simple. As I said repeatedly during those years, Doug Marrone would rather lose doing things his way than win doing things any other way. He's just a jerk.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who defend Maroon as a good coach baffle me. This guy's first NFL challenge was on a NE fumble that we didn't even recover. He put players in the doghouse that performed when he was finally forced to play them. He's an idiot and a quitter, and we were well rid of him.

The very first challenge of a rookie head coach is at the bottom of the list of things that should matter. Maybe he put players in the doghouse because they deserved it? Players like Jerry Hughes and Marcel Dareus who have been problems on an off the field. Marrone came into a loser culture and was tasked with turning the whole thing around. He had no choice but to be a total hard-ass. He quit because the Pegulas didn't want to give him full control. I can't blame the Pegulas for not doing that considering he wasn't their hire, but in today's NFL it is not an unreasonable request. Marrone' biggest problem was predictable offensive play calling but he had no faith in his QBs so it was a tricky spot to be in.

Marrone is just an a-hole, plain and simple. As I said repeatedly during those years, Doug Marrone would rather lose doing things his way than win doing things any other way. He's just a jerk.

I would say this fits Belichick to a tee. Just to cut off the inevitable response I am NOT saying Marrone is Belichick. But remember when Belichick went for it on 4th down against the Colts and lost because of it? A total "I don't care what anyone thinks" move. And hey Belichick didn't find success until his 2nd gig so you never know.

I would say this fits Belichick to a tee. Just to cut off the inevitable response I am NOT saying Marrone is Belichick. But remember when Belichick went for it on 4th down against the Colts and lost because of it? A total "I don't care what anyone thinks" move. And hey Belichick didn't find success until his 2nd gig so you never know.

Belichick is probably the most scheme-flexible coach in the NFL - the exact opposite of Doug Marrone. Belichick will take a backup, or third-string QB and do his best to come up with a game plan that will ensure victory - the exact opposite of Doug Marrone. They could not be more different, honestly.

Belichick is probably the most scheme-flexible coach in the NFL - the exact opposite of Doug Marrone. Belichick will take a backup, or third-string QB and do his best to come up with a game plan that will ensure victory - the exact opposite of Doug Marrone. They could not be more different, honestly.

Well I don't know how scheme flexible Marrone would have been because he didn't get much of a chance to show it. Certainly the defensive scheme was fine, it fit the players we had better than the scheme Rex ended up switching to. On offense we had EJ Manuel/Kyle Orton and CJ Spiller. Is there any offensive scheme for that situation? I don't think so. Look at Belichick with Jacoby Brissett at QB. Couldn't score a single point against us in his own house. To be scheme flexible you need talented players first.

Marrone putting players in the "doghouse" was him putting in a culture of discipline. Belichick puts players in the dog house all the time.

His first challenge as a rookie HC wasn't good and that means he sucks? Yikes, McD is on a short leash.

Instilling discipline is one thing, but being incompetent is another.

I still want to know why Kraig Urbik was benched in favor of Cyril Richardson.

You're truly dumber than a post if you think your "question" relates in any way to the Marrone discussion.

Again, a non answer.

This is why you're so much fun!

Instilling discipline is one thing, but being incompetent is another.

I still want to know why Kraig Urbik was benched in favor of Cyril Richardson.

Because Urbik was acting undisciplined.

Ultimately reading this article makes me realize nothing's changed with the man. His way or the highway still.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/jaguars-hc-doug-marrone-wants-his-players-to-have-coachability-and-availability-moving-forward/448473836

I've got no issue with anything Marrone was quote on this article. Sounds like strong leadership, nothing wrong with that.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't really disagree with anything he said in the article. I honestly think that Rex's biggest fault as a HC was the lack of discipline on the team.

Of course, none of this makes Marrone a decent coach, nor does it necessarily build a winning culture. Trust is equally as important as accountability in a wining culture. Going by the statements from our players after Marrone split Buffalo, I don't think he understands that, or is able to build trust with his players.

Screw him, anyway. I hate the guy.

God forbid a professional sports head coach wants "coachability and availability" from his professional players. Lol.

Is that really too much to ask of grown men who make millions upon millions of dollars? I mean, that is exactly what they're paid for.

Seriously, is there really an issue with this statement?

"If youre not coachable, youre not going to be able to play," Marrone said on Tuesday. "If youre not available, youre not going to be able to play. Biggest mistake I can make as a head coach is put somebody out there that isnt ready or hasnt practiced. Im letting the fans down, Im letting the team down, Im letting you down, Im letting everybody down.""

I hope McDermott is the same way, because you know who else has been that way? Belichick, Parcells, Lombardi and some of the best coaches in the history of the NFL. That's why they win.

(And it's been a huge reason why the Bills don't win.)

I think that the statement itself isn't an issue. But I think that his approach makes him more polorizing than the coaches that you listed.

Belichick is a no fuss, high demanding coach, but he is clearly a good teacher, good communicator, and and makes adjustments based on his players. Marron on the other hand has his scheme and forces players to fit a scheme they don't fit. Just because the player doesn't fit the scheme doesn't mean they are not talented or aren't working hard.

I think marrone is not like the coaches you listed with the exception of being strict with accountability, and a coach needs to be more than that

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I was a little put off by his grumbling press conference demeanor. But he did produce a winning team and frankly, we'll never know what that preseason shouting match with the GM was about. Perhaps going with Orton from the start???

But

If his instinct to go with Orton kicked in sooner (I didn't advocate it at the time, but he was right. EJ just wasn't gonna get there) they may have stolen one or two more wins over 9-7.

All that aside- he was tolerable as coach. They were competitive.

It was annoying when he bailed on the team a few days after assuring the world he wouldn't.

But the thing that truely brought me to dislike him was that he left a void that Rex Ryan filled. That's when he became dead to me because as irrational as it was I blamed him for that eventuality.

Doug's a decent coach. He just needs a thick skinned QB that doesn't make mistakes and a rock solid defensive coordinator.

God forbid a professional sports head coach wants "coachability and availability" from his professional players. Lol.

Is that really too much to ask of grown men who make millions upon millions of dollars? I mean, that is exactly what they're paid for.

Seriously, is there really an issue with this statement?

"“If you’re not coachable, you’re not going to be able to play," Marrone said on Tuesday. "If you’re not available, you’re not going to be able to play. Biggest mistake I can make as a head coach is put somebody out there that isn’t ready or hasn’t practiced. I’m letting the fans down, I’m letting the team down, I’m letting you down, I’m letting everybody down.""

I hope McDermott is the same way, because you know who else has been that way? Belichick, Parcells, Lombardi and some of the best coaches in the history of the NFL. That's why they win.

(And it's been a huge reason why the Bills don't win.)

Nothing wrong with holding players accountable...more coaches need to do it...just have to be careful how he goes about doing it...there is a right way and a wrong way

I was a little put off by his grumbling press conference demeanor. But he did produce a winning team and frankly, we'll never know what that preseason shouting match with the GM was about. Perhaps going with Orton from the start???

But

If his instinct to go with Orton kicked in sooner (I didn't advocate it at the time, but he was right. EJ just wasn't gonna get there) they may have stolen one or two more wins over 9-7.

All that aside- he was tolerable as coach. They were competitive.

It was annoying when he bailed on the team a few days after assuring the world he wouldn't.

But the thing that truely brought me to dislike him was that he left a void that Rex Ryan filled. That's when he became dead to me because as irrational as it was I blamed him for that eventuality.

Doug's a decent coach. He just needs a thick skinned QB that doesn't make mistakes and a rock solid defensive coordinator.

...he professed "culture change" in his interview and subsequent.....hard to argue he was wrong.....7-9, 7-9, 8-8, 7-9, etc became the accepted, comfortable norm of mediocrity.....he was a bit over the top with his regimented "Patton like approach" which Brandon and Whaley hated because he wanted them at every team meeting.....with them being two MAJOR detractors, he took his $4 mil knowing he would never change them......it should be an interesting Jax marriage between Marrone and da Fuhrer Coughlin....Marrone wanted to hire RB Coach Henderson but 'ol Tom killed because of something that happened YEARS ago....stay tuned...................

...he professed "culture change" in his interview and subsequent.....hard to argue he was wrong.....7-9, 7-9, 8-8, 7-9, etc became the accepted, comfortable norm of mediocrity.....he was a bit over the top with his regimented "Patton like approach" which Brandon and Whaley hated because he wanted them at every team meeting.....with them being two MAJOR detractors, he took his $4 mil knowing he would never change them......it should be an interesting Jax marriage between Marrone and da Fuhrer Coughlin....Marrone wanted to hire RB Coach Henderson but 'ol Tom killed because of something that happened YEARS ago....stay tuned...................

Great call OTG... coughlin and Marrone seem to me like oil and oil. I don't know if coughlin is a talent finder, but his daily schedule detailed to the bowel movement should synchronize well with Marrone's no nonsense approach

Great call OTG... coughlin and Marrone seem to me like oil and oil. I don't know if coughlin is a talent finder, but his daily schedule detailed to the bowel movement should synchronize well with Marrone's no nonsense approach

...LOL....could either be the "match made in heaven" or the "match made in hell".....interesting to see who wins out........Jax may have to bag some more seats..............