St. Doug Laying the Groundwork

I could see marrone succeeding in a ground work transition coaching style. The guy youhire to change the culture. Cut the lose ends and bring in a winning coach. He had us headed in the right direction until Rex

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find me a single fan who feels that way. I believe the feeling from most fans is disdain for a guy who quit on his team. It's not as if Vince Lombardi walked out the door (which would have been heartbreaking).

The OP for one.

Clearly, Dougie broke some hearts for how much he's talked about around here. If he was truly as bad as most of you claim, you wouldn't care about him quitting. Rather, you'd celebrate it. This is clearly not the case.

There's never been a more readily apparent "lover scorned" phenomenon. Be honest with yourself!

Find me a single fan who feels that way. I believe the feeling from most fans is disdain for a guy who quit on his team. It's not as if Vince Lombardi walked out the door (which would have been heartbreaking).

I have no disdain for Marrone. Overall, he did a good job with a lackluster roster. The players consistently played hard for him, and as you stated they were accountable for their play. He didn't quit on the team. He had the contractual ability to take a buy out, and he exercised it. That is no different from what players and front office staff do when they have that option.

Marrone is a meat and potatoe type coach. Nothing special and nothing cringe worthy. He wasn't a very likable person. There was an unearned arrogance about him that was tough to take. He was a jerk in a profession that has a lot of jerks. So What! What no one can take away from him is that he was dedicated to his job and he cared. Compare that to the lazy and buffoonish coach who followed him?

The one action that I have the utmost respect for Marrone was that he was not going to quietly tolerate the qb situation that Whaley presented him with. Marrone was not wrong in forcefully confronting the GM and making it clear that he wasn't going to accept the situation that he was placed in. Good for him!

I'm not bothered by Marrone's decision to leave. That was his prerogative. He made a decision that he felt was right for him and his family. It became a tremendous loss not because he left and was such a valued employee but because our clueless new owner made a stupendous mistake in hiring his replacement.

I have no disdain for Marrone. Overall, he did a good job with a lackluster roster. The players consistently played hard for him, and as you stated they were accountable for their play. He didn't quit on the team. He had the contractual ability to take a buy out, and he exercised it. That is no different from what players and front office staff do when they have that option.

Marrone is a meat and potatoe type coach. Nothing special and nothing cringe worthy. He wasn't a very likable person. There was an unearned arrogance about him that was tough to take. He was a jerk in a profession that has a lot of jerks. So What! What no one can take away from him is that he was dedicated to his job and he cared. Compare that to the lazy and buffoonish coach who followed him?

The one action that I have the utmost respect for Marrone was that he was not going to quietly tolerate the qb situation that Whaley presented him with. Marrone was not wrong in forcefully confronting the GM and making it clear that he wasn't going to accept the situation that he was placed in. Good for him!

I'm not bothered by Marrone's decision to leave. That was his prerogative. He made a decision that he felt was right for him and his family. It became a tremendous loss not because he left and was such a valued employee but because our clueless new owner made a stupendous mistake in hiring his replacement.

I was frustrated with his game-calling on offense. Run-Run-Pass-Punt.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/how-a-rookie-head-coach-derailed-a-rookie-quarterback-then-vanished-with-4-million

Ultimately reading this article makes me realize nothing's changed with the man. His way or the highway still.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/jaguars-hc-doug-marrone-wants-his-players-to-have-coachability-and-availability-moving-forward/448473836

Meh, doesn't sound that different from what we've heard coming from McWrestler.

Marrone had some strengths: instilling discipline and accountability, choosing quality defensive assistants. Thus he had some success.

Marrone's immediate weaknesses were assuming too much control over the coaching and details of the offense and offensive line schemes. His offense was predictable and underperformed. His offensive line demanded large agile behemoths and he refused to believe any OLman with some success couldn't play any position on the line (eg Pears, some success as OT, horrid failure as OG).

His initially hidden flaw was believing too much in his own PR about his genius and "jumping ship" when he felt a better opportunity (eg NYJ) beckoned.

I can't tell from here if Marrone has learned anything. On the one hand, he chose Hackett as his OC, reportedly over several possibly more creative options. That doesn't look good. But he'll be reporting to Tom Coughlin, a man with an ego of his own and serious football chops who will not be blinded by bullgaffle. If Marrone starts to believe his own PR or throw his weight around, Coughlin will surely rein him in and issue him a reality check.

With a boss in place to minimize his faults and a D that was top 10 last year and a returning DC for continuity, Marrone may do well enough.

He's been quoted in the media as telling Bortles "if you throw interceptions you won't be our QB". Bortles threw 16 last year. Coupled with the 35 TD he threw in 2015, that number would actually be decent. Coupled with the 23 he threw last year, not so much. But unless the Jags pull in another QB, when the alternatives are Chad Henne and an unremarkable 6th round draft choice in his 2nd year, it's a bit empty as a statement, no?

The OP for one.

Clearly, Dougie broke some hearts for how much he's talked about around here. If he was truly as bad as most of you claim, you wouldn't care about him quitting. Rather, you'd celebrate it. This is clearly not the case.

There's never been a more readily apparent "lover scorned" phenomenon. Be honest with yourself!

You're just wrong. Just as fans continue to talk about former players, they will talk about former coaches. I still don't think there are many (if any) fans who believe St. Doug was on the cusp of leading the Bills to greatness.

I don't see it. On his side of the ball, IMO, it was some of the worst offensive game planning I've seen in our drought. He had a defense offensive coaches dream about and did squat with it. The Jags defense won't touch the 2014 Buffalo Bills. Maybe the 2013 Bills but then Doug is screwed.

That's not the way I saw it.

He had some really below average QBing while he was here. Manuel / Thad Lewis / Tuel his first year and Manuel / Orton his second and he got more out of Orton than expected.

The 2013 offensive starters looked like this: Manuel/Lewis/Tuel, Spiller, Frank Summers, Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, Lee Smtih, Cordy Glenn, Doug Legursky, Eric Wood, Urbik and Erik Pears.

In 2014: Manuel/Orton, Fred Jackson, Watkins, Robert Woods, Lee Smith Cordy Glenn, Urbik, Wood, Pears, Seantrel Henderson.

I don't see coaching as being the problem nearly as much as personnel.

I don't know if he'll be a really good coach. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

I didn't like the way he left, but he appears to have had insoluble problems with Whaley, and isn't the only coach who felt that way when here.

Edited by Thurman#1

The very fact that Marrone didn't get another HC opportunity until it literally fell into his lap in Jacksonville (hardly the picture of a solid organization) pretty much confirms his opt out wasn't a typical or "smart" decision. Yeah, he got paid. Whoopee. He was getting paid to be a HC in Buffalo, and if he was really a dedicated guy he would have fought for himself and his players to build the organization he envisioned.

The five or so fans in Jacksonville who actually follow their team are probably as excited about Marrone being the HC as most Bills fans were when Chan Gailey was hired after a lackluster search.

He had some really below average QBing while he was here. Manuel / Thad Lewis / Tuel his first year and Manuel / Orton his second and he got more out of Orton than expected.

The 2013 offensive starters looked like this: Manuel/Lewis/Tuel, Spiller, Frank Summers, Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, Lee Smtih, Cordy Glenn, Doug Legursky, Eric Wood, Urbik and Erik Pears.

In 2014: Manuel/Orton, Fred Jackson, Watkins, Robert Woods, Lee Smith Cordy Glenn, Urbik, Wood, Pears, Seantrel Henderson.

I didn't like the way he left, but he appears to have had insoluble problems with Whaley, and isn't the only coach who felt that way when here.

I posted a link earlier in here to the article, but he was incredibly predictable with playcalling.

The OP for one.

I actually have distain for him as a person more then a coach....when the reports that he was treating the bills staff like crap (I mean the front counter lady Doug.....really?)

Plain and simple, he was in over his head when he was here. He never got a chance to really dig in, but that was his choice, and he knew he wasnt ready, too.

From bringing in Hackett, to the poor oline play, the play calling, etc.

He might do it with Coughlins help this time around, but the timing wasnt right when he was with us.

The very fact that Marrone didn't get another HC opportunity until it literally fell into his lap in Jacksonville (hardly the picture of a solid organization) pretty much confirms his opt out wasn't a typical or "smart" decision. Yeah, he got paid. Whoopee. He was getting paid to be a HC in Buffalo, and if he was really a dedicated guy he would have fought for himself and his players to build the organization he envisioned.

The five or so fans in Jacksonville who actually follow their team are probably as excited about Marrone being the HC as most Bills fans were when Chan Gailey was hired after a lackluster search.

Ultimately the decision he made to accept the buyout worked out for him. Is he in a better situation? That's for him to decide. He made a decision based on what he wanted to do, not what others think he should have done.

You constantly portray his decision to accept the buyout as an act of betrayal. That characterization doesn't resonate with me. As with anyone else he made an employment decision based on what was best for him and his family. You act as if he didn't fail to live up to his contract. That's not an accurate depiction of the situation. He simply acted within the terms of his contract. What's your problem with that?

Doug Marrone isn't the only coach to ask out. Mike Mularkey also accepted a buyout to get away from the pervasive dysfunction of the organization. He is now a HC. Ask him if he is glad to have left the chaotic scene in western NY?

In the long run Marrone made a decision that benefited him. But his departure might also have benefited the Bills if this current HC works out as well as I think he will.

I don't understand your long standing campaign against the dour former coach. I have no ill-will toward him and basically could care less how he does in his current situation.

I agree with him 100%. The Bills should take heed and it looks like they may be.

It seems like all you hear is about how so and so didn't practice or was limited but is "on-schedule" to be ready some day. Well, that's nice but it means that they aren't getting any better as players because they're not fully practicing right now.

I could see marrone succeeding in a ground work transition coaching style. The guy youhire to change the culture. Cut the lose ends and bring in a winning coach. He had us headed in the right direction until Rex

I think the Bills make the playoffs if Doug had stayed.

Wrex wrecked it:(

You're just wrong. Just as fans continue to talk about former players, they will talk about former coaches. I still don't think there are many (if any) fans who believe St. Doug was on the cusp of leading the Bills to greatness.

I think Marrone was a good HC. Your sour grapes are amusing. You spent two years trying to convince yourself that your new girlfriend Rex was as good as your ex. Common man!

You're kidding, right? You say he's a coach who sucks, but opting out and getting hired again isn't a successful endeavor?

When players opt out of their options, do you complain about their "dedication" this much?

I think the Bills make the playoffs if Doug had stayed.

Wrex wrecked it:(

Not with Hackett and that offense. If he would have brought it Greg Roman and then together with Whaley gotten Taylor and McCoy then I'd say yes. But I don't see how that was going to happen.

Marrone got a bad rap from the fans. In retrospect going 9-7 with Manuel and Orton playing QB was nothing short of a miracle. He probably takes us to the playoffs if Bryce Brown (another horrible Whaley decision) can hold the damn ball on his way into the endzone. Maybe Marrone was too strict but I'll take that over Rex's schtick any day.

Summed it up perfectly.

He was an arrogant jack ass for no reason, still not a bad football coach, IMO.

The hire after him was the mistake.

The intriguing issue that is worth discussing is what would have been the prospects for this team if he would have stayed on board? I honestly believe that if he would have stayed this team would be so much more advanced and be on the cusp of being a relevant team. Does that mean it would have made the playoffs? Not necessarily. Although the roster would have been much more developed the issue still comes down to having a legitimate franchise qb. What I believe is that if he would have stayed he would have forced the vacillating GM to address the qb issue sooner rather than later.

The Bills franchise wasted the two years that the corpulent HC coached here and it requires another two years to cleanse out the stench that he left here. That is four years wasted that could have been used to steadily get better. Make no mistake that when Marrone took over this team was basically a rebuilding team that he got to play hard and smartly. His offense was a Jauron styled offense but that was due to its lack of talent.

The page has been turned with the hiring of McDermott. To a lesser extent than when Marrone was first hired he is also in a rebuild that is going to take at least a few years to rework the roster and get himself a franchise qb. There is a similarity between Marrone and McDermott that the Marrone critics don't acknowledge: Both coaches in short order recognized that Whaley's high draft picks in Manuel and Kujo were not good enough to keep.