Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Nice!! Youngish coach, experience leading defense, recent success with a young Nashville team

...hoping Jack Eichel is ok with the hire.

Seeing as how I am the same age as Housley, I'll take "youngish" as a compliment.

Great hire, will be the right guy to build a top defense to compliment the young stars in the forward ranks.

He had the rep because he was a smallish, offensive minded defenseman in a league that still valued hulking guys who couldn't move. Erik Carlsson would also be considered soft by 1980's standards.

In a world of dumb fighters - Phil played much smarter. Only had 8 fights in his career.

In a world of dumb fighters - Phil played much smarter. Only had 8 fights in his career.

Hmm. There used to be a legendary poster here named Bob Lamb. Then he disappeared :)

6-16: PHIL HOUSLEY ON WGR (28:10)

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Paul in studio next on WGR! Tune in:

DCcUOq8XoAEU2uE.jpg

Housley - the first trade is always the toughest. It was very difficult for me, especially going to Winnipeg. #Sabres

Housley - we're going to try and build something special here. The people of Buffalo are very passionate about their sports teams #Sabres

Housley - I'm very excited to get started here. I'm going to try and bring my work ethic here to the Buffalo #Sabres

Housley - I've been through building a culture. I learned a lot when coaching and building up a high school hockey program. #Sabres

Housley - I've learned a lot from Barry Trotz, Peter Laviolette. Going to try & implement the things I've learned here in Buffalo. #Sabres

Housley - you have to go through the ups and downs, earn your stripes as you develop. There's a lot of potential with this team #Sabres

Housley - you have to set reasonable expectations for the players in today's game. I'd like to have that attacking mindset #sabre

Housley - the guys in Nashville were willing to learn, and that made my job easier. We have to have a defend first mentality #Sabres

Housley - we want to have a quick transition team, get up the ice quick on a turnover. #Sabres

Housley - Eichel is a tremendous player, a game breaker. To see him and how he can control a game, he's the future of the franchise #Sabres

Housley - if we can get Eichel to live in the moment, we can lift some of the pressure off of him and allow him to play his game #Sabres

Housley - we're working together to bring in a good staff with some NHL experience. We'll do it as fast as we can #Sabres

"Housley - we want to have a quick transition team, get up the ice quick on a turnover. #Sabres"

That is music to my ears!

Does "quick transition" = "dump and chase"?? If so, Eichel's and Okposo's bodies will be worn down in three years.

An improved defense corp is a big key in playing that style of hockey.

Does "quick transition" = "dump and chase"?? If so, Eichel's and Okposo's bodies will be worn down in three years.

As I've been saying for a year: this team needs more than just one defenseman that can both separate an offensive player from the puck and move the puck up ice in transition.

Sounds like Housley understands that

Thanks for the Housely feedback. Personally, I think hockey coaches seem overrated. Talent wins. If the Sabres upgrade their D and get more consistent scoring, they will be fine.

I see it as almost the opposite.

Bylsma got canned in Pittsburgh because he didn't get enough out of a star-studded lineup. Sullivan takes over a year-and-a-half later and wins 2 cups.

You need talent, but a bad system can stifle talent. If you don't like dump and chase, be glad Bylsma is gone.

But how difference can a system in hockey makes? The game seems so low scoring now. I believe they are setting records for lack of scoring.

I see it as almost the opposite.

Bylsma got canned in Pittsburgh because he didn't get enough out of a star-studded lineup. Sullivan takes over a year-and-a-half later and wins 2 cups.

Fair but they still have 2 superstars who put them at a huge advantage of other teams. The Sabres simply aren't talented enough yet. Like is Edmondton's coach good or does he have a generational player?

That said, it's pretty obviously Babcock was the better choice.