Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

Jason Botterill, Sabres GM (13:26)

Sabres GM Jason Botterill chats with Greg Wyshynski about landing the #1 pick in the 2018 NHL draft, including who they may be interested in taking, if they would trade the pick and more. Plus, his thoughts on strong comments from Ryan O'Reilly.

Botterill was on ESPN Radio with Greg Wyshinski a couple of weeks ago.

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

From his perspective what would be the point of going to another team that won't allow him to break out of that suffocating atmosphere of mediocrity. 

Maybe his uncle told him about what a great town we are! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bbb said:

Maybe his uncle told him about what a great town we are! 

Tavares doesn't need to be informed by his uncle to know about the area and the mediocre history of this franchise. I believe he is going to stay with the Islanders. And if he does decide to leave it will be for a team that can contend for the cup. The Sabres are years away from being a cup contender. 

Report: Video game addiction ruins NHL prospect’s career

Here is a sad and very unusual story. There is an NHL prospect, a recent first-round pick for a top team, who is now unlikely to make it to the NHL because he’s addicted to video games. 

NHL reporter Jeff Marek relayed the story on the Sportsnet podcast “31 Thoughts”. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good. I hope that's true. That's the way it should be IMO. 

Theres no no reason to give ROR away just for the sake of change. He's a heck of a good player. One of the best 2 way C'a in the NHL. Unless Botterill gets a package back that clearly makes the Sabres a better team, I don't see a reason to move ROR. 

Thrres a lot of other guys higher on my list (to move) than O'Reilly. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

!@#$ you Tim Murray

I liked his schtick when he was here.  In retrospect, he was just awful.  Attempts to accelerate the rebuild were almost uniformly a fail and he misjudged the trend of where the NHL was going.  I"m trying to go with the silver-lining argument that extended misery allowed us to get both Eichel and Dahlin.  Hope Botteril follows an intelligent, patient path to excellence.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I liked his schtick when he was here.  In retrospect, he was just awful.  Attempts to accelerate the rebuild were almost uniformly a fail and he misjudged the trend of where the NHL was going.  I"m trying to go with the silver-lining argument that extended misery allowed us to get both Eichel and Dahlin.  Hope Botteril follows an intelligent, patient path to excellence.

One of the first things that Botterill said he was going to do was to invest and reinvigorate the farm system with a special focus on Rochester. He has done it by adding in tutoring veterans to the mix so that the young players would have models to learn from. He also wanted to create a winning environment and instill a winning attitude. Rochester got to the playoffs this year instead of being mired at the bottom of the league.  

Botterill has stressed that he prefers keeping his players down on the farm until they become NHL ready. He doesn't like bouncing players back and forth. As exemplified by Nylander you earn your playing time and promotions and not are not entitled to move up the ranks because of where you were drafted. If an undrafted player outplays a higher ranked player then that player is moved ahead of the underperforming player. 

I'm impressed with Botterill. He is a very measured person and is very  analytical. He doesn't make moves for the sake of making moves to show he is doing something. As with McDermott with the Bills the Sabre staff is going to steadily cull this roster and get not only the most talented players but the right type of players so the right mix reinforces the roster. 

Botterill is more conceptual in managing the operation just as Beane is more conceptual than Whaley was in managing the operation. Acting without a lot of thought ends up being a lot of wasted motion. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

NHL Draft 2018: How Rasmus Dahlin can fit Sabres, fast-track league's slowest rebuild

Buffalo, which owns the first overall pick, will have the first crack at Rasmus Dahlin, a dynamic puck mover with highlight-reel moves. The Swedish wunderkind is the overwhelming favorite to become just the 14th defenseman to be taken first in the NHL Draft, but you have to go all the back to 1973 and Hall of Famer Denis Potvin to find a defense prospect who had such a tremendous following before ever skating in an NHL game.

Dahlin’s blend of skill and smarts should make his transition to the NHL’s up-tempo style as seamless as it was for Housley, a finesse defenseman himself who made his Sabres debut immediately after he went sixth overall in the 1982 draft. Housley was only a few months removed from his 19th birthday when he was named runner-up for the Calder Trophy. One year later, he received a significant amount of Norris Trophy votes, finishing for the NHL’s best defenseman.