Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I feel like the lottery is very likely to convince teams to attempt a different type of tank.  If you're a bubble team, what's more tempting:

1. adding players and salary near the deadline to make a run and then getting bounced quickly

2. even a 1% shot at landing McDavid

Obviously it take the right player in the draft, but I'm sure it has and will continue to happen.  That's the exact reason why they can never do a lottery where everyone has the same odds, as I've seen suggested randomly over the years.  People want to question the integrity of the game when a horrible team tries to lose, but what happens to the integrity when a playoff-level team decides to lose?  I'd say that is so much worse.

There is no perfect system for this.  I wish they'd just stick with what they always had.  Even now, they're still tweaking the lottery odds every single season.  That one does feel a bit suspicious to me.

Even more reason the League is rigged, a farce.

Yeah... Like they can't cook what's a goal and what's not when they want certain teams to win.

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

That's pretty much the point I was making, though they're getting better faster in today's NHL.  Variety of reasons, obviously but it is happening.  Risto has the tools to be a great NHL defenseman, as long as the mental stuff he's had to go through doesn't weigh him down.

I think we're both saying the same thing.  I pretty much don't expect Risto to be Seth Jones because he wasn't in the same situation. 

The Sabres remind me of the expansion Browns, who were given plenty of resources to build their team with and pretty much squandered all of them.

We are in accord in our thinking. As you noted the Sabres/Bills squandered opportunities and lost years with bad management. Hopefully, under McBeane and Botterill the smarter and wiser approach to running an operation will take hold and stabilize backward functioning organizations. The mistake that struggling organizations make is before making a decision to improve they have to have a blueprint established and then make decisions that fall within the established plan. For both organizations their fatal flaw was managing an operation from a tactical perspective instead of a strategic perspective. It seems to me that both franchises have a smarter game plan to draw from. 

I appreciated much of what he had to say. 

While I haven’t been impressed with Housley, there is no doubt he has a group of disengaged, lazy, whiny players to work with. It’s your job to listen to the coaches, do your damn job.

I’m not usually hung up on the “intangibles”, but it’s tough to watch this group wallow without any clear leadership, especially if they are tuning coaching out as well.

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Even more reason the League is rigged, a farce.

Yeah... Like they can't cook what's a goal and what's not when they want certain teams to win.

For a guy that hates it so much, you sure do post in a hockey thread a lot. NBA is the most overhyped, boring bullshite sport (well maybe next to soccer)on the planet but you don't see me posting how bad it is in an NBA thread.

3 hours ago, Dante said:

For a guy that hates it so much, you sure do post in a hockey thread a lot. NBA is the most overhyped, boring bullshite sport (well maybe next to soccer)on the planet but you don't see me posting how bad it is in an NBA thread.

Because I am a BFLo guy on a BFLo board... I see the thread. :P

I am a homer...Seeing my home being polluted. :(

You wouldn't catch me dead on a San Jose board. :D

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because I am a BFLo guy on a BFLo board... I see the thread. :P

I am a homer...Seeing my home being polluted. :(

You wouldn't catch me dead on a San Jose board:D

Don't do us any favors!;)

GO SHARKS!

• Haha (+1) 1

On a similar note, look at the big "Goat head" logo on the front of the sweater.

Look to the left of the area around the big horn on the goat's head (his right horn).

See how it joins the area around the eyeball and basically forms a silhouette of the Buffalo Bills "charging buffalo" logo????

I just noticed that now and thought that is what the headline of the article was talking about.

Maybe I'm just inventing this, but it seems too distinct to not be there intentionally.

On another note: I may be the only Sabres fan in the world who actually prefers these uniforms.

I hate the goat head, but I loved the red/black/white color scheme and have never been a fan of the blue/white/gold look.

I associate our classic uniforms with total mediocrity and sucking as a franchise.

Our current pathetic state fits in nicely with the old fashioned uniforms we are currently wearing.

F-it!  Go back to the white/red/black, but get a better logo.

Trade speculation begins to circle ROR -

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/trade-speculation-begins-circle-ryan-oreilly

McKenzie's colleague at TSN, Darren Dreger, joined The Instigators on WGR for his regular Friday visit. Dreger had some of the same sentiments that McKenzie talked about in Montreal. 

"The sense that I've been given from the management in Buffalo, is yeah of course he's going to listen on Ryan O'Reilly...but it would take an absolute sweetheart deal for the Buffalo Sabres to consider. In saying that, he's a hell of a player. On pretty much every team in the league he's at least a #2 center isn't he? There's going to be a market for Ryan O'Reilly and Jason Botterill is going to have some tough decisions specific to O'Reilly.

"Teams who need centers will do whatever they need to do to get in that conversation...Botterill will be big game hunting."

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

As expected.

Dahlin and Svechnikov will do very well for either Montreal, Detroit, the NY Rangers, or the Chicago Blackhawks. Bettman has to be salivating with 4 of the Original 6 in the lottery, and will need this because these teams are always on NBC.  Who will Buffalo get 4th is the real question.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1