[closed]Medical Marijuana, and NFL Substance Abuse Policy

Some worthy off-season discussion:

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of working on a PSA for an organization called the Gridiron Cannabis Foundation. We interviewed eight former NFL players, all of whom advocate for (and unapologetically use) medical marijuana, including Eben Britton, Chris Kluwe, Kyle Turley, Mark Restelli, Boo Williams, Ricky Williams, and Jim McMahon.

Jim McMahon is an especially vocal advocate. He suffers from significant nerve damage (he found out later in life that he had played for a period of time with a broken neck!). At one point, while we were taping him in front of a teleprompter, his legs began shaking so badly, he almost fell over.

I talked at length with Eben Britton about Seantrel Henderson's situation. In fact, there is a growing body of evidence that shows that cannabis is one of the most effective treatments for many of the symptoms of Crohn's disease, with few side effects. Henderson is, perhaps, one of the best examples of the need for cannabis reform.

The biggest point these guys had to make is that many players are compelled to use medications such as opioids, and others, many of which have lasting side effects such as liver, and kidney damage. Eben Britton relayed a story to me of a player he knows, who was faced with a choice between a literal handful of daily pills, versus marijuana use-- and for him there was no contest.

It seems to me that the NFL could be out in front of this issue, and helping to inspire a national discussion that could help a lot of people. Instead, they are handing people suffering from disease, like Seantrel Henderson, ten game suspensions, and significant fines, and loss of income.

Thoughts?

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of working on a PSA for an organization called the Gridiron Cannabis Foundation. We interviewed eight former NFL players, all of whom advocate for (and unapologetically use) medical marijuana, including Eben Britton, Chris Kluwe, Kyle Turley, Mark Restelli, Boo Williams, Ricky Williams, and Jim McMahon.

Jim McMahon is an especially vocal advocate. He suffers from significant nerve damage (he found out later in life that he had played for a period of time with a broken neck!). At one point, while we were taping him in front of a teleprompter, his legs began shaking so badly, he almost fell over.

I talked at length with Eben Britton about Seantrel Henderson's situation. In fact, there is a growing body of evidence that shows that cannabis is one of the most effective treatments for many of the symptoms of Crohn's disease, with few side effects. Henderson is, perhaps, one of the best examples of the need for cannabis reform.

The biggest point these guys had to make is that many players are compelled to use medications such as opioids, and others, many of which have lasting side effects such as liver, and kidney damage. Eben Britton relayed a story to me of a player he knows, who was faced with a choice between a literal handful of daily pills, versus marijuana use-- and for him there was no contest.

It seems to me that the NFL could be out in front of this issue, and helping to inspire a national discussion that could help a lot of people. Instead, they are handing people suffering from disease, like Seantrel Henderson, ten game suspensions, and significant fines, and loss of income.

Thoughts?

Cannabis, not marijuana.

Cannabis, not marijuana.

That's a minor distinction.

can·na·bis

ˈkanəbəs/
noun
  1. a tall plant with a stiff upright stem, divided serrated leaves, and glandular hairs. It is used to produce hemp fiber and as a psychotropic drug.
    • a dried preparation of the flowering tops or other parts of this plant, or a resinous extract of it ( cannabis resin ), used (generally illegally) as a psychotropic drug, chiefly in cigarettes.

Cannabis, not marijuana.

in other words, cannabis is the name for the whole plant. the flower/bud marijuana is the product of the plant. hemp, another very useful product from cannabis, notably rope.

medical marijuana is already helping with many conditions. such as seizures that is proving successful for those with epilepsy. known to help with pain management.

I hope society becomes more aware of the importance of it through more research and understanding.

thc and cdb from cannabis should be considered the medicine of the future. should phase out opiates for medical use.

time.

it's come this far, maybe society will come around to it, including the nfl...?

Thoughts?

The NFL will only change when the medical community dictates that marijuana is the TOC for whatever conditions.

Even then, it will probably just be exemptions.

Edited by jmc12290

Thoughts?

This always will be a discussion, and it will never be allowed. Very simple reason, big pharm. If you don't know by now, they pay an awfully a lot of money to be provider for NFL drugs such as painkillers. Would be a huge loss of revenue for the NFL, therefore, it would never happen. My opinion: Having been friends with NFL players, everybody smokes anyway. You have to get caught about 10+ times with failed tests before you are even under any trouble with the NFL. However, if you publicly support it then you're taking the big pharm dollars away which is a bigger source of income than one thinks. As more former players are coming out about pain killer abuse, the better chance the NFL can be progressive towards the use of Medical Marijuana.

Edited by BillsMedia

Thoughts?

My only thought is there already is a 12 page thread on the subject

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/193811-nflpa-to-focus-on-marijuana-for-therapeutic-reason/

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.