Beane assembles "all-star" staff

Since hiring former Carolina Panthers assistant general manager Brandon Beane to replace Whaley, the Bills have added six talent evaluators to their front office who have experience on either director or vice-president levels with other teams. The "all-star staff" assembled by Buffalo has caught the attention of former NFL scout Dan Hatman, who believes the Bills could become a case study that could lead more teams to change general managers after the draft instead of the customary period following the end of the regular season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/27999/could-bills-post-draft-gm-swap-shake-up-nfls-hiring-calendar

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since hiring former Carolina Panthers assistant general manager Brandon Beane to replace Whaley, the Bills have added six talent evaluators to their front office who have experience on either director or vice-president levels with other teams. The "all-star staff" assembled by Buffalo has caught the attention of former NFL scout Dan Hatman, who believes the Bills could become a case study that could lead more teams to change general managers after the draft instead of the customary period following the end of the regular season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/27999/could-bills-post-draft-gm-swap-shake-up-nfls-hiring-calendar

Too many cooks, not enough scullions?

It's somehow a little scary when Rodak writes a positive article about the Bills.

"The people that I've been speaking with have been a little bit surprised -- not from the sense that they think Brandon [beane] couldn't pull it off, but surprised from the sense that some of the guys that were willing to uproot and take roles there [in Buffalo]," Hatman said, noting that Gaine in particular had essentially taken a lateral move to come to Buffalo, while Allen took a lesser position.

And I'm amused by all the posters who announced "AMATEUR HOUR" when the Pegulas fired the entire scouting department after the draft when this ex-scout thinks it was a very bright move for all the reasons he gives in the article.

Despite the potential downside to retaining an ill-fated general manager through the draft, Hatman sees positives in what the Bills have been able to build by shaking up their front office in May.

We shall see.

The most successful franchises in the NFL are often the ones who are innovative and go against the grain. Not the copycats who are always 1-2 years behind. So it's interesting to see the league's longest suffering teams trying a completely different approach than the rest of the NFL.

- The Cleveland Browns are using the "moneyball" approach to drafting, and loading up on high round picks.

- The Buffalo Bills flipped the hiring schedule backwards, allowing themselves to remake their front office without being blocked by current employers.

Edited by mjt328

Just wait until Watkins complains about not getting enough passes, Jerry Hughes takes the stupid penalty, MD gets 1 year for a third infraction and the special teams manage to screw up at the end of a game.

The staff he has assembled has been shocking....shockingly impressive...we have seriously good and well respected football people from top to bottom now, I think that more than anything is what I am excited about...they have rebuilt the foundation extremely strongly for future growth

We shall see.

The most successful franchises in the NFL are often the ones who are innovative and go against the grain. Not the copycats who are always 1-2 years behind. So it's interesting to see the league's longest suffering teams trying a completely different approach than the rest of the NFL.

- The Cleveland Browns are using the "moneyball" approach to drafting, and loading up on high round picks.

- The Buffalo Bills flipped the hiring schedule backwards, allowing themselves to remake their front office without being blocked by current employers.

Also getting guys to make lateral moves or in some cases take lesser roles...but in the end Pegula probably laced their pockets with some green to make it happen

I'm not sure why anyone has anything negative to say about these recent developments. I for one feel things are heading the right way. Will I still feel that way after we make mistakes? Yes cause this is entirely different from what we've done in the past and we need to **** can the past ways of ineptitude. We're headed the right way.