Expectations for Shaq Lawson?

This is where I am at - I think he is a good fit. I think he can set the edge and collapse the pocket - I do not think he will be beating guys based solely on quickness or anything.

Somewhere between 6-8 sacks is a nice place to start and hopefully just some consistent play and he will be just fine.

I just want to see him get better and be healthy.

Good post. I agree.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like reading all this "not a natural pass rusher" stuff. The Bills are in a division with Tom Brady and need everyone to be a strong pass rusher if they ever want to beat him before he retires.

We just went through a season where we gave up TWO 200 yard rushers in our own division.

I would say Lawson's skills are very needed.

Lets keep in mind that our down linemen as a whole are very good pass rushers anyway

Hughes - pass rushing stud

Meatball - constantly in the backfield

Marcel - really the wild card here....if he is playing at his potential this DL is unstoppable

Lawson - had a goddy amount of tackles for loss in college (all the while playing injured nearly his whole college career)

We just went through a season where we gave up TWO 200 yard rushers in our own division.

Lets keep in mind that our down linemen as a whole are very good pass rushers anyway

Marcel - really the wild card here....if he is playing at his potential this DL is unstoppable

Lawson - had a goddy amount of tackles for loss in college (all the while playing injured nearly his whole college career)

My gaud was he goddy.. ha.

I hope he puts it together, this DL could be just nasty. Really comes down to Marcel buying in. Dareus is such a likable dude and many Bills fans are pulling for him... but he is running out of sympathy.

Pro bowl. I'm just seeing the cards fall to him being the hero of our defense. The unsung hero will be Dareus and his countless double and triple teams. Hughes will be an after thought but not terrible.

I am so conflicted with how I want to run this d

This defense seems like a perfect fit for Shaq. It would be surprising if he's not an above average 4-3 end given his ability, and as others have noted, if Dareus comes to play and Hughes and Kyle do their usual thing Shaq is going to find himself facing very advantageous matchups.

I'll agree with the assessment that he doesn't have to be a game changing pass rusher in this group

I will note that one of those 200 yard performances had about 25% of his production with 10 men on the field though. I'm not sure if we need to add a run stuffer as much as we need to add organization and discipline to the defense. Put another way-- You could drop an elite pass rusher and mediocre run stopper there and I'd still expect that the run game would be cleaned up a lot.

I felt he was vastly overrated when we drafted him and the main reason he was picked is that Rex hung out with the team and Rex wanted to show he was a big shot. For that reason I did not care much for him as a first round pick.

After I read Shaq's letter to his dad for father's day, my opinion greatly shifted and I am rooting for him now.

I felt he was vastly overrated when we drafted him and the main reason he was picked is that Rex hung out with the team and Rex wanted to show he was a big shot. For that reason I did not care much for him as a first round pick.

After I read Shaq's letter to his dad for father's day, my opinion greatly shifted and I am rooting for him now.

Shaq was a consensus 1st round pick irrespective of any Rex/Clemson connection.

Overweight slow and lumbering, not expecting much.

Ouch! But TBH, he needs a little more burst.... More technique and speed coming off the ball.

I'm VERY interested in Jake Metz... He's in my top 5 for unknown players on the verge of a breakthrough.