If Sammy has a breakout 2017 year - How will the office feel

Granted - that's if he remains healthy - but if he does have a great 2017 season, how will the front office feel and how should us the fanbase think afterwards ??

I personally thought it over and would not know how to feel cause the kid has pulled through for us when we most needed his efforts (hurt and all)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then we franchise tag him, which is only about $2 million more than his option would have been. The difference is that we don't have to decide on the franchise tag until after this season.

A lot of factors here but here is the where the wrench gets thrown in - Only saying this from prior experience...........

He has an above average season but he pulled through on wins for the Bills toward the end of games for the 2017 season that helped the Bills have a great winning season or even the playoffs - and the Bills decide to let him go anyway

I see a lot of us here on this board hollerin and cursing!!!

would not know how to feel cause the kid has pulled through for us when we most needed his efforts (hurt and all)

When was that?

Lets hope he has a great year. Then we tag him and he gets even bigger money than the 5th year option

And if SW has a big year then TT had a big year, so that's two less positions to fill

Then we franchise tag him, which is only about $2 million more than his option would have been. The difference is that we don't have to decide on the franchise tag until after this season.

Really, that's all?

Now I understand why they did it.

Bills knew they would have to make a decision on Sammy, one way or the other, sooner or later. They decided they could risk the $2 million to be free to cut ties early if they want to.

Under the Pegulas, the Bills do not have a "cheap" mentality.

I can guarantee you they are pulling for Sammy Watkins to come back 100% healthy and to become a Pro-Bowl receiver going forward. Just like I can guarantee you they are pulling for Tyrod Taylor to take a big step in his development, and become a hands-down franchise quarterback. They are not hoping for these guys to fail, just so they can get away without giving them a big $$$ extension.

The Bills front office is just being cautious, and playing it safe before locking themselves into big/long-term contracts. Personally, I think it's a smart avenue to take.

Granted - that's if he remains healthy - but if he does have a great 2017 season, how will the front office feel and how should us the fanbase think afterwards ??

I personally thought it over and would not know how to feel cause the kid has pulled through for us when we most needed his efforts (hurt and all)

The same as they do now, he finally earned an extension based on being able to stay on the field all year.

Bills probably arent comfortable, (weren't, as of May 2nd?) to commit app 6.6 million THIS year AND app 13.5 in 2018. I think they want to see if makes it through this season before committing. As previously mentioned, they can tag him if stays healthy and plays well. or renegotiate long term, or just let him walk. They have decisions to make

Under the Pegulas, the Bills do not have a "cheap" mentality.

I can guarantee you they are pulling for Sammy Watkins to come back 100% healthy and to become a Pro-Bowl receiver going forward. Just like I can guarantee you they are pulling for Tyrod Taylor to take a big step in his development, and become a hands-down franchise quarterback. They are not hoping for these guys to fail, just so they can get away without giving them a big $$$ extension.

The Bills front office is just being cautious, and playing it safe before locking themselves into big/long-term contracts. Personally, I think it's a smart avenue to take.

^^^

This 100%. Fans act like they want players to fail, when it fact it can't be further from the truth. I love the fact McDermott is being smart, no way in hell I give Sammy an extension, he hasn't earned it by staying healthy. When he earns it, they will most certainly pay him.

A lot of factors here but here is the where the wrench gets thrown in - Only saying this from prior experience...........

He has an above average season but he pulled through on wins for the Bills toward the end of games for the 2017 season that helped the Bills have a great winning season or even the playoffs - and the Bills decide to let him go anyway

I see a lot of us here on this board hollerin and cursing!!!

I think the bigger factor is his health. Even more than his actual stats/production.

Sammy's foot has progressively gotten worse over the last 2 seasons, and nobody knows for sure how it will respond going forward. Remember, he first had surgery after the 2015 season and missed all of OTAs last year. Everyone believed he was 100% and good to go Week 1. But then he re-aggravated the injury, played hurt for awhile and then missed half the season in Injured Reserve.

Maybe another surgery fixes the problem for good. Maybe it doesn't. If Sammy plays 16 games without a setback, then I think we can be confident the foot injury is finally behind him. But if he ends up re-aggravating it again, we may have to consider that Sammy will never be the same guy again and the foot will be a problem the rest of his career.

He will get extended for sure with a breakout season, I think he will put up 1400 yards and 10 TD's this year. Hope I am right. Julio Jones got past the same foot injury and put up similiar numbers his first 3 seasons, and that is with Matt Ryan consistantly throwing to him. I know Sammy is not Julio but just saying.