Polian - McD, "he's Marv-like".

Great post. There was no chance of any type of culture change as long as Ralph's chumps and losers were still running the team. McD may not end up being the answer, but at least the possibility of turning the team around is finally here. The sky's the limit!

concur. we needed to start over, clean slate, after Ralph passed. Too bad we waited so long, but moving forward now.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a retort to the person who "can't see McD being a good Bills HC".

Bill Polian, who has been very reluctant to endorse anybody over the years for the Bills' HC position has clearly endorsed Sean McDermott. He believes that McD is basically a younger version of Marv Levy......and he thinks the world of the HOF Bills HC who he hired when he was the Bills GM way back when.

Polian says that McD is "cerebral, low key, and right on the money". He said that McD has a pretty good pedigree having learned under Andy Reid (Phily) and Rivera (Carolina).

Here's the link: http://buffalowdown.com/2017/03/05/buffalo-bills-bill-polian-sean-mcdermott-marv-levy/.

That's a pretty hefty endorsement if you ask me.

From what I've seen thus far I would think you would have to be impressed with McD. He basically ran the 2017 draft and likely picked up three 2017 starters by trading up and down the board and may have found Buffalo's QB of the future in Nate Peterman. Even the ESPN analysts (Kiper & McShay) have raved about Buffalo's draft.

McD has also won the power battle with former Bills GM D. Whaley. With Whaley now gone it's likely that McD will be able to hand pick the next Bills GM. That's a very rare occurrence.

McD is likely to push for someone he knows and trusts very well.....and that may turn out to be the best way to rebuild this team.

Polian has been reading my posts.

What a joke... The 70's and 80's Raiders were known to party as hard or harder than anyone . They won. It didn't and doesn't matter. The Bills got out coached by the Giants and still had a great chance to win in the final minutes, but mismanaged the clock. That's why they lost. It's pretty common knowledge , rewatch Supe XXV if you need to see the evidence.

Outcoached by the Hoodie ... and outcoached by Joe Gibbs following year, with Mark Rypien (!) as QB.

I'm honestly puzzled by this. We've had a couple weeks of OTAs. How can one diagnose culture change (or its lack) from this?

I know, I don't get it either. I keep hearing " I love what he's done so far". What has he done? The season hasn't even started, hell training camp is 3 months away. pulling for him big time. Let's not anoint him before he even coached a game.

let's just hire Marv again. what is he like 92? i bet he's still got it

I agree!!!

Why have someone like Marv, when we can have The Marv himself!!

Come on Terry, get Marv a hover round and let him go!!!!

Seriously, I absolutely listen to NOTHING Polian says. Not kidding and I think many would agree....IMO I think he is old a senial. Or may have serious aging issues.

I think that might be a little too harsh.

But the whole NFL Career Development Advisory Panel, of which Polian is a part, has been criticized for being "full of nepotism" and of plugging "their" proteges in a rigged search. So I'm a little suspicious of Polian extolling the virtues of a newly hired HC who was, I believe, one of the names on the list the Panel provided last year. It's sort of like a chef telling you the steak his restaurant served you is the best ever.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it's hardly an objective and unbiased evaluation.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I think that might be a little too harsh.

But the whole NFL Career Development Advisory Panel, of which Polian is a part, has been criticized for being "full of nepotism" and of plugging "their" proteges in a rigged search. So I'm a little suspicious of Polian extolling the virtues of a newly hired HC who was, I believe, one of the names on the list the Panel provided last year. It's sort of like a chef telling you the steak his restaurant served you is the best ever.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it's hardly an objective and unbiased evaluation.

It's called a Good Old Boys Club.

I skipped four pages of this thread to say that anything Bill Polian says in favor of the Bills or McD comparing him to Marv is very simply him whoring himself to get his son Chris a GM job. I'm calling bull crap on it. Love Bill but not interested in his opinion on this matter, right here, right now as it is only geared towards getting his son Chris a GM gig. Pass. Chris Polian sucks and I would think 90% of this board would take a fast pass on Chris. But thanks Bill! Love you man.

Go BILLS

Outcoached by the Hoodie ... and outcoached by Joe Gibbs following year, with Mark Rypien (!) as QB.

Bills had starters on defense missing and the Redskins were just a much better team......

Bills had starters on defense missing and the Redskins were just a much better team......

Right. It's only the first SB where the Bills were really outcoached. I think they had way more talent than the Giants.

But the next year the Skins were a freaking juggernaut. I wouldn't say they had more talent than the Bills, but everything just came together for them that whole year. They were in the flow. Rypien spent the year looking like a Hall of Famer. I don't know why or what happened exactly. It was just a perfect storm for that team. They weren't going to lose to the Bills, even though long-term the Bills had more talent.

The Cowboys arguably did have more talent than the Bills the next two years. They were a damn good team. I think if they played the Bills 10 times, the Bills would win 3 or 4 games. So not a great aberration that the Boys won two in a row.

I think everyone wants results.

At the same time, the first evidence is there to show this isn't the same old same old. This isn't status quo packaged as new. This isn't Marrone pointing at the lifers 3 years ago and Russ stepping in to protect them. It's the closest to real substantive change there's ever been at OBD.

It's going to be a new regime both in terms of coaching AND in the front office next season. Sure, McD could be unsuccessful. But he won't be unsuccessful because RW cronies were still pulling the strings from behind the scenes. He's the first HC in some time who'll control his own destiny. He wouldn't have taken this job without that assurance.

This is an interesting comment, and it really hasn't been until just now that I've felt the slightest tinge of empathy for Saint Doug. I still think he's an ego-maniacal douche, I still think he made awful decisions (like exposing Sammy to injury unnecessarily in preseason), and I'm not at all convinced he'll have success in London--err, Jacksonville, but if he saw the "lifer" culture at OBD and was frustrated by his inability to change it, the decision to quit is at least somewhat understandable.

I'm excited about the house-cleaning and don't view the situation as one that will take years to correct.

This is an interesting comment, and it really hasn't been until just now that I've felt the slightest tinge of empathy for Saint Doug. I still think he's an ego-maniacal douche, I still think he made awful decisions (like exposing Sammy to injury unnecessarily in preseason), and I'm not at all convinced he'll have success in London--err, Jacksonville, but if he saw the "lifer" culture at OBD and was frustrated by his inability to change it, the decision to quit is at least somewhat understandable.

I'm excited about the house-cleaning and don't view the situation as one that will take years to correct.

I have thought this about marrone for awhile now. I think he wanted basically what mcdermott has. Pegula sided with team brandon/whaley. It wasnt so much about leveraging money. The last few years may have bern different, but overall, I think i would much rather have mcdermott.