Help! Please talk me into McDermott - Can't See It

Looking for validation of his pessimism.

Definitely not true. I genuinely want to change my impression. I am (incorrectly) optimistic about the Bills every year. I am (incorrectly) optimistic about every new player. I am a bit of an idiot that way. I'm surprised to find myself struggling to get stoked up about McD.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your OP you list positives as people that have worked with him like him, and that players can identify with him. I think those are the things to focus on. As for his performance at press conferences, attention to detail, focus on process, etc. I am the type who likes attention to detail and process,. I think when you are like that you set clear expectations for your team.

Ultimately picking a HC in any professional sport is a crap shoot. Especially in the NFL, since many are moving up from lower positions and you never know if a guy is HC material until he's put in the role. I reserve judgment right now until I see him in game day situations. But from what I can tell right now his teams will be taught well and focused, and that's about all I can hope for at this stage.

Maybe it is just me getting older, but I like the larger font and line spacing. Thanks for that.

I agree with you that choosing a head coach is a crap shoot. I'm holding onto my opinion of McDermott until after the season is over.

This is huge for me.

I was 100% behind the hiring of Rex. I was really excited, thinking that a great defensive coach who had some success vs NE in big spots, including beating them in NE in the playoffs, would take this defense to all-time great territory. I think he could have, if he actually put in the work.

One thing you'll never hear about McDermott is that he is lazy. Never. The guy is awake pumping iron 2 hours before the sun comes up.

It sounded like Rex rolled out of bed at 9, crushed a dozen donuts, rolled into the facility around 10, took a 3 hour lunch then went home at 4. I'm exaggerating a little maybe. But there was a lot of buzz that he was more into the fame that comes with being a well-known NFL coach than he was doing the work it takes to win. And he still went 8-8 and would have gone 8-8 again had he coached the last game and Tyrod played.

So the talent is there. Even with total confusion on defense and a HC who was more interested in self-promotion and being a carnival barker, the team won as much as it lost the past 3 years.

Now enter McDermott, for whom work is food, except the more he works the more hungry he gets for more work. Sleep is an annoyance because it gets in the way of more work.

That guy is inheriting a team that has been exactly .500 over a 48 game span.

I like this argument. Because I do believe that we have more talent than we've shown over the past few years. If that's true, maybe a calm and meticulously organized guy is all we need to push us to another 2 or 3 wins a year. For now.

Definitely not true. I genuinely want to change my impression. I am (incorrectly) optimistic about the Bills every year. I am (incorrectly) optimistic about every new player. I am a bit of an idiot that way. I'm surprised to find myself struggling to get stoked up about McD.

Ah ha! A case of knee jerk pessimism! Check my signature line. It's the only way I can still be a Bills' fan. Otherwise there would be no point.

Ah ha! A case of knee jerk pessimism! Check my signature line. It's the only way I can still be a Bills' fan. Otherwise there would be no point.

But as a Bills fan, history supports my signature.

:lol: The weird thing is, even though I am skeptical about the long-term viability of the McD era, I have still (almost) convinced myself we are going to go 11-5 this year. I am a hopeful dude.

In your OP you list positives as people that have worked with him like him, and that players can identify with him. I think those are the things to focus on. As for his performance at press conferences, attention to detail, focus on process, etc. I am the type who likes attention to detail and process,. I think when you are like that you set clear expectations for your team.

Ultimately picking a HC in any professional sport is a crap shoot. Especially in the NFL, since many are moving up from lower positions and you never know if a guy is HC material until he's put in the role. I reserve judgment right now until I see him in game day situations. But from what I can tell right now his teams will be taught well and focused, and that's about all I can hope for at this stage.

With the size of the font, It seems like you're yelling at everyone or talking really loudly.

Honestly...ive so many different coaches and so many different mind sets and approaches.

I just want to see if he can field a team that plays hard, disciplined and makes good coaching decisions.

All this high praise and this and that....Im over all that stuff. Idc how the coach does it...but do well.

But as a Bills fan, history supports my signature.

"Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew said,

A little I'm hurt but not yet slain.

I'll just lie down and bleed awhile,

And I'll rise and fight again."

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Disclaimer: This is a sincere attempt to understand what others see in McDermott. Not trying to start an argument, as I don't think we have enough info for a meaningful conclusion right now either way.

But I am really struggling with this guy so far. And I am an optimist by nature and have pretty much talked myself into every single Bills coach (at least during their first preseason) over the past four decades.

Here's what worries me:

-Never says anything remotely interesting. Buttoned-down corporate speak all the way. And I know there is value in keeping your thoughts to yourself, but this kind of say-nothing style doesn't necessarily mask deep thoughts. It often means the person actually has no insight. The way he communicates publicly completely reminds me of Russ Brandon. That is not a good thing, in my opinion.

-Seems to have read a few too many leadership books. He seems like he is trying to manufacture himself into a leader through notes and aphorisms and process. I am beyond skeptical of that approach in any organizational context. He doesn't seem comfortable in his skin to me - even the way he fidgets around in press conferences. He seems like a guy who loves the idea of being a leader, but hasn't discovered his own authentic approach. Feels like he's playing dress-up. (Again, screams Russ Brandon.)

-Seems technocratic - thinks success will come primarily through control, detail, process. All well and good at times, but nowhere near enough to manage the seething, human, multi-variable complexity that is any football team.

-Role in the Whaley affair is unclear, but optics do look like a bit of a backstabbing power grab. I admit this could be TOTALLY off.

Here's what I like:

-People he's worked with seem to like the guy.

-Reportedly does a good job of connecting to and caring about players as individuals.

-I have mad respect for Andy Reid, so I like the tree.

I admit, my negatives are superficial and based on my own cursory observations, whereas the positives are substantive and based on the experience and testimony of people who have worked with him.

But right now I just have the feeling he is in over his head, but has impressed the Pegulas with his organized approach, attention to detail, and stoic wrestler manner - none of which will make him a good coach IMO.

I really hope I'm wrong, and I'm totally prepared to fall in love with the guy as things play out. But I can't remember feeling this cold about a hire. Even Marrone who came off as a total tool early on, somehow convinced me he might have something.

And you got your psychology degree and leadership experience where exactly? I spent 23 years in the military and have a Masters in Leadership education. I see none of the things you mentioned when I have watched McDermott. I see a man who is confident in his abilities and has a system that he intends to implement. Whether or not this is going to lead to success remains to be seen. Being overly analytical watching someone you have no personal contact with, however, is an exercise in futility. As others have stated, he is our coach and all we can do is support him in his efforts to make this team viable again. Time will tell, but there is definitely no evidence for the claims that you have made.

How well do any of us actually know McD? We get bits and pieces in the media. We've seen his defense. But we don't know the man.

The optimist gives more weight to the good info and expect success.

The pessimist gives more weight to the bad info and expect failure.

The realist admits he just doesn't know.

And the long-time, snake-bitten Bills fan just flat out knows there's zero chance the Bills are going to the playoffs anytime soon no matter who fills the GM and HC roles. It's way beyond coaches and scouts - it's a cosmic principle of some mysterious kind, or an evil curse, or bad karma from a past football sin that hasn't been worked out yet.

And you got your psychology degree and leadership experience where exactly? I spent 23 years in the military and have a Masters in Leadership education. I see none of the things you mentioned when I have watched McDermott. I see a man who is confident in his abilities and has a system that he intends to implement. Whether or not this is going to lead to success remains to be seen. Being overly analytical watching someone you have no personal contact with, however, is an exercise in futility. As others have stated, he is our coach and all we can do is support him in his efforts to make this team viable again. Time will tell, but there is definitely no evidence for the claims that you have made.

Well, I did spend three years in Cub Scouts and I have a cosmetology certificate.

It's my impression. Could well be wrong. I was interested in others' impressions. Thanks for yours. We read him differently.

I agree with you that it isn't wise to put too much stock into opinions about others without personal contact. I put very little stock into internet opinions (including my own) about any public figure, no matter how many years in the military the person with the opinion might have spent.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I'm in 'wait and see' mode, for all things Pegulaville.

Bills, Sabres, draft picks, GM search, coaches...wait and see.

I don't buy the hype at all anymore. Don't care how this guy or that guy might "seem".

Get on the field in September and show me.

Can't judge till we see game time reaction. Not preseason games. They will do some telling but , not enough. I will give you my opinion in October. I hope like h ell he is going to bring success to this team that I love.