Question about Russ and his dual team president role...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He got in with Ralph and in that transition he was made the liaison to Erie County, and the league regarding the Stadium and sale of the Bills.

But he has a job because he befriended Ralph Wilson and was named GM after Marv stepped down.

Everybody knows somebody like Russ at work.

The guy that keeps moving up the ladder and you aren't sure why.

And he gets all this credit for selling tickets, but the Bills have loyal fans. No fan goes to the game because Russ Brandon is the President of the Bills. They go because Buffalo is a small town and the Bills and Sabres are the main entertainment options.

I mean is "One Buffalo" an unbelievable marketing slogan? No. The Sabres got really good in 2006-2007 and that place has been packed since.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

The point is that is his job. You criticize him for things that are not his job.

It isnt his job to be ceo of erie county tourism- and wether you believe it or not he has had his fingers all over both organizations- 23 total years of no playoffs isnt bad luck. Now wheres my sammy?

We've seen this movie 100 times before.

Elitists form in one corner, claiming that they know how this works, and everyone else is an idiot for believing that Russ Brandon is the kind of President that actually makes decisions. There's little evidence to support either side so it just becomes a giant pissing match. As the years go on though, and he gets his fingerprints on more mistakes, it starts to get old. I mean, we've had these discussions for what...10+ years now?

The organization has had a complete lack of accountability since Donahoe (not surprisingly, around the time Russ assumed his power). Everything has to be so confusing about who makes what decision and we're left arguing while no one involved with the front office gets the axe.

There are legitimate sources that say our GM did not hire our last two coaches, which begs the question... who did? The narrative is that Russ heavily persuaded the owners to hire Rex. Why we can't have a simple hierarchy is beyond me, but either way, that's what happened and there's no amount of "business knowledge" this man can possess that makes him worth retaining after one of the worst hires I've ever seen. He made plenty more mistakes, and I'm sure they've been detailed thoroughly in this thread that I'm not going to read, but none of that really matters when you consider the absolute mess the Bills have been organizationally since he's been in charge.

Russ to Pegula "don't let Rex leave the building without a contract". This dude dont know jack **** about footbal but basically hires coaches! Thats what the freakin GM is for! And how about we get a real Pres of football ops? Until then we will be in the depths of pure suckitude.

That's not how I heard it. Snake oil had a very big part in the hiring of Rex.

No one turns on the charm like Russ.

C93Sr70UIAEMhcy.jpg

The guy just looks like a con / scam artist. He's meddled in football affairs for years and has done nothing to help this team get better, let alone make the playoffs. How he hasn't be relieved of his duties years ago is beyond me.

I thought Russ did a nice job moving down in the draft and acquiring an extra first round pick in 2018.

I also liked that he identified Zay Jones and made his move.

Hopefully he has a plan for how he's going to incorporate Sammy into the passing game more this year too.

As far as the Sabres go, Russ seems to have nailed it when he picked Eichel, and I think Nylander will prove his personnel evaluation skills right in the long run.

I also liked the Okposo signing--it's not Russ' fault that he got very sick at the end of the season

....known Russ for 10+ years and he is a down to earth guy.....when RW's "Inner Circle of Trust" collapsed during the DonoHOLE era, Ralph turned to those he could trust...hence Marv was "re-tired" with 4 new Pirellis and RW promoted Brandon into positions he knew he was not qualified for....here come the naysayers with the "money grab" crap.....RW treated him like a son and he could NOT say NO to "Mr Wilson (NEVER called him Ralph; too much respect)".....sure he nudged Pegula about the Wrecks hire from a ticket sales perspective.....got forwarded the text from someone close to me which read. "so what do you think?"....Nausea 101.......he loved Pegula kicking his azz upstairs as PSE Prez focusing on Business Administration &Marketing where he belongs........linkster requestors need not bother....I am the link.....no benefit for me to post crap and I never would....as far as the Bills & Sabres openings as well as War Room, I'd sure as hell would be intrigued to be in on all regardless if I had a say or not............

Lol you "are the link"...the pomposity out of some of you is astounding.

The funny thing about Brandon to me is, I don't want him remotely making any kind of football decision whatsoever, under any circumstance. And yet, if I were owner, I would let him be in some of these meetings, keep him happy, throw him a bone, let him know what the team is doing and thinking so he feels a big part of it for his own ego. I see nothing wrong with that.

Except, and this is a big one, if I thought that Russ was behind some of the very damaging leaks and misinformation that has come from OBD over the last few years, which I think is possible. if I had reason to believe that I would keep him away.

It isnt his job to be ceo of erie county tourism- and wether you believe it or not he has had his fingers all over both organizations- 23 total years of no playoffs isnt bad luck. Now wheres my sammy?

His job is to make money for PSE. Those events do that.

Brandon wouldn't hold a job as ticket taker at most NFL franchises. It is evidence of the Pegulas' stupidity that they keep him on and actually listen to his advice. Only in BLo.

This is absurd.

Brandon wouldn't hold a job as ticket taker at most NFL franchises. It is evidence of the Pegulas' stupidity that they keep him on and actually listen to his advice. Only in BLo.

yeah, Pegula is stupid, started with nothing, now a billionaire, only on TSW do some believe this

I have a few dumb reasons for disliking him.

1- My friend was in a box with him when he was GM of the team (least qualified GM of all time probably), and he was gushing over Kerry Collins and the Titans. Gross...

2- Guy wears a Florida Marlins World series ring, from his time... as a marketing assistant.

3- He's worked here for the entirety of the drought and somehow avoided the chopping block, and it seems like every domino around him falls except him.

4- Is a bit of a jerk. A friend worked for the ticket office, and knew Russ at least somewhat. Russ proceeded to snub him, and ignored him and his wife at a social event in honor of... the ticket office!

If you want more, i'll ask my buddy for some more inside stories from his time there. He doesn't remember it too fondly.

Here's a few real reasons:

He sandbagged both lynn and whaleys EOY pressers. He's the Managing partner/President of the team, and is nowhere to be found. Pegula has to do a damage control press conference, because Russ KNOWS that legit every media member, and most fans, hate his guts.

Its the NFL man... everyone's making money.

Thanks! Yes, more Russ stories please!

I am most happy to hear that Russ knows fully well just how much he is hated. :)

Don't understand peoples obsession with Russ Brandon. He's an excellent marketer/business man. He has nothing to do with football personnel decisions. HIs only crime was trying to step in and fix this franchises biggest problem for almost 2 decades. Which is their personnel department.

Somehow this clown will sell 50k season tix this summer, in a sub 1mil population market, for the MOST dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.

Of course it is dysfunctional - the fan base is either in a drunk stupor, recovering from a 420 buzz or sharpening pitchforks and making torches. Plus we have the losers who believe what is written in Buffalo News or reporters who use them as a source. When you are in an insane asylum the most sane person will look the craziest.