Just when I think the Bills finally got smart...

....merge them all into a "NEGATIVE NELLIES UNITE" thread for group therapy and commiseration.....gonna be a long weekend......................

Really, there could just be two threads on TBS. One for the "Negative Nellies" and one for the "Sunshine Boys".

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because trading away a bunch of 5th round picks to move up and pick a potential starter is the worst idea in the world.

🙄

If the Bills can walk away from this draft with 3-4 starters and an extra 1st round pick next year it will be an awesome draft.

No one goes 7 for 7.

Some fans get it, and some don't. Some see reasons to be positive and some need reasons to complain.

I guess 17 years of no playoffs get you that.

Edited by dezertbill

From what I've read to this point there are 3 QB's to watch for 2018 that are said to be superior to any of the QB's in the 2017 class. Darnold USC, Rosen UCLA, and Allen Wyoming. Maybe others? Bundling what might be another Bills top 10 pick next year with what projects to the 24th spot for KC based on current Super Bowl odds could move the Bills up.

I like Mahomes, Trubisky, and Watson. I now hope, of course, the 2018 qb class still looks as strong a year from now. Scrutiny and the uncertainty of real life tends to alter things a bit. Clearly, the scenario you paint is plausible. I saw a list of five or six names, but the three you mention are the only ones I recall.

Really, there could just be two threads on TBS. One for the "Negative Nellies" and one for the "Sunshine Boys".

How about a thread for reasonable, prudential posters who don't simply emote a knee-jerk response every time?

Edited by Dr. Who

they get all Billsy on Day 2.

I was so proud and excited that the Bills traded down from 10 to add more draft picks - including a first-rounder in 2018. The smart teams know that the NFL Draft is a crapshoot of massive proportion - and the only solution is to accumulate as many picks as possible to increase odds that the players you draft are good. Then let them battle it out in training camp.

But no. They trade up and give up picks NOT ONCE...BUT TWICE.

No one wastes draft picks like the Buffalo Bills.

They simply cannot help themselves. They get tunnel vision on one player and are so damn paranoid that others value their guy like they do (ego) that they shoot themselves in the foot by giving away valuable picks. It's absurd how perennially dumb our organization is.

It's as if each person who is hired by the Bills gets a lobotomy on their first day as employees. It's the most realistic explanation I can come up with.

I like the 3 players chosen & immediate needs were addressed.

I don't like future picks, but, I can live with the trade down.

This is always said but I don't believe it.

We knew James Hardy was a bust halfway through his rookie year.

We knew Troup over Gronk was a mistake by the start of his second Training Camp.

We saw that when Cyrus K couldn't win a starting O Line spot in 2 years that he was a bust.

Bringing up James Hardy and the 2008 draft brings up a hypothetical relevant to the current thread.

In 2008, it was no secret that the Bills were looking for a wr. Not only WR, but a "big" WR. So were many other teams. It was the Year of the Big Receiver in the 2nd round.

Tom Modrak liked Jordy Nelson. Im sure he had some love for Hardy, but its come out that he thought Nelson was better. (So did I btw, but I also thought Hardy would make it).

Jordy was taken about 5 picks before the Bills. So they selected Hardy as the consolation prize.

What if they traded up in the 2nd to jump in front of GB?

If they gave up..say their 3rd round pick to jump in front and take Jordy?

Under the OP's logic...it would have wasted picks to get him.

The other way of looking it at is.....we traded James Hardy and Chris Ellis for Jordy Nelson...

Of all the "Big WR" in that draft...Jordy was the only one who made it...and he made it pretty big.

It isn't always about taking "a" WR, or "a" OT. (an OT?)

Sometimes you have to trust your own evaluations, look at who is left...and a number of other factors.

As far as Zay Jones goes...he checks off an awful lot of boxes in the evaluation card.

Because trading away a bunch of 5th round picks to move up and pick a potential starter is the worst idea in the world.

outside of one year of Karlos Williams..we haven't gotten anything out of a 5th round pick since Kyle Williams.

OK...its settled..we need to draft a Williams in the 5th...we're becoming thin on people named Williams

There have been bad trade up picks in the past, but this time they didn't give up that much. They lost the third rounder that they got from Thursday's trade and a fifth rounder.

Buffalo has three picks in the top 2 rounds and 3 picks today, And there is an extra first rounder next year . I personally do not think that this is too bad considering that they had just 6 picks a couple weeks ago. It remains to be seen how these players do, but the strategy was sound this time.

Edited by dgrochester55

There have been bad trade up picks in the past, but this time they didn't give up that much. They lost the third rounder that they got from Thursday's trade and a fifth rounder.

Buffalo has three picks in the top 2 rounds and 4 picks today, And there is an extra first rounder next year . I personally do not think that this is too bad considering that they had just 6 picks a couple weeks ago. It remains to be seen how these players do, but the strategy was sound this time.

Agree with most of this, but they have two fifths and a sixth. Unless new math = 3.

Looks like the plan was executed perfectly. Trade back, aquire a 2018 1st and extra picks in 2017. Then use extra picks to trade up for players they covet.

I'm not a fan of trade ups, even for QBs. But doing so by giving up mid round picks doesn't bother me as much.

Most of the fans who are upset are judging each decision individually, but it's clear the Bills are following an overall plan.

.......if I understand, "Sunshine Boys" would be kool-aid sippers much like Jim Jones followers....."either or-black or white" will forever cause gas pains.....logical people are negative on one move and positive on another move......around here just as it was on BBMB, ANY Bflo "move" SOLELY equates to "OBD Diarrhea" IMO....now the Bears were geniuses playing hardball in moving up one spot......shades of Snyder for RG II 5/8, Ditka for Ricky or Dallas for Herschel deals....this place would melt down if the youngin's were around then and these were OBD moves.......