Just when I think the Bills finally got smart...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By implication, you adhere to the belief that all players are pretty much equal, therefore the more picks you have, the more good players you'll gain. Apparently the Bills - & 31 other teams - believe that some players are better than others, and so one really good player is better than two so-so players. If we go with your theory, then the smart thing would be to trade all the higher picks for about 30 in the 7th round. That about right?

What's this "we" crap? I for one "know" Whaley is an excellent GM. But then, I evaluate him based on facts not emotions and biases.

I agree 100%

The amount of unwarranted crap that Whaley takes on this board is depressing. I used to read the discussions all the time but can only take it in small doses anymore.

I'm right there with you Wayne. The draft is a crapshoot but every year the Bills waltz in like they know better than everyone else. What is the success rate of OL taken in the 3rd round, 33%? I can't imagine it's much higher. But I'm sure the Bills would tell you they are 75% sure in Dawkins. No matter how sure they think they are they don't really know. Dawkins could tear his ACL in training camp and there goes that idea. We needed to use all our picks this year IMO. I love the trade down but not as much because we lost the 3rd rounder anyways, to take a WR who had a great senior bowl but whose college production was possibly inflated by the system he played in. I mean I don't know maybe he turns into a great player but without the benefit of hindsight yet the moves look poor to me.

Well then why would you care if the success rate is so low from the third round on? Might as well take who you think will be good....

They redeemed themselves with the Peterman pick. I'm all in!

I tried to delete this thread but for some reason you're not allowed to delete your own threads on this forum? That doesn't seem right.

I actually kinda like the kid. Looking forward to seeing what he can do. Would be nice if he turns out to be 1 of those QBs that turned out to be really good that was picked late.

This is always said but I don't believe it.

We knew James Hardy was a bust halfway through his rookie year.

We knew Troup over Gronk was a mistake by the start of his second Training Camp.

We saw that when Cyrus K couldn't win a starting O Line spot in 2 years that he was a bust.

My Rebuttal: Eric Moulds

they get all Billsy on Day 2.

I was so proud and excited that the Bills traded down from 10 to add more draft picks - including a first-rounder in 2018. The smart teams know that the NFL Draft is a crapshoot of massive proportion - and the only solution is to accumulate as many picks as possible to increase odds that the players you draft are good. Then let them battle it out in training camp.

But no. They trade up and give up picks NOT ONCE...BUT TWICE.

No one wastes draft picks like the Buffalo Bills.

They simply cannot help themselves. They get tunnel vision on one player and are so damn paranoid that others value their guy like they do (ego) that they shoot themselves in the foot by giving away valuable picks. It's absurd how perennially dumb our organization is.

It's as if each person who is hired by the Bills gets a lobotomy on their first day as employees. It's the most realistic explanation I can come up with.

How can you support trading down as a general practice but not support trading up? They're two sides of the same coin. The end goal is to maximize value, and if a team feels they get more value by trading up than standing pat, that's following the plan. We came out of the draft with 3 likely day 1 starters. It's really hard to hate that at this point. Time will tell how good they end up being.

I hate the concept of drafting DBs in the first, and I think they went down too far/didnt get enough return, but all said and done it was a very productive, albeit boring draft. A-

Wayne, I concur with your assessment and criticism 100%

For those who don't I understand your reasoning

But I'd like you to name the recent player our Bills gave away 3rd and 4th draft picks to move up for that in the end was worth it?

I can't

Yet our Bills under DW, and various HC's, keep doing it, repeating, what IMO hasn't worked

I'm going to love seeing Jones and Dawkins in a Bills uni

But I'm really going to miss all those 3rd and 4th round draft picks who could have been starting at OLB, nickel, backup RB, etc

I just don't think a 7-8 win team should be continually moving up and casting aside valuable 3rd and 4th round picks

jc

Edited by wilcoam

Wayne, I concur with your assessment and criticism 100%

For those who don't I understand your reasoning

But I'd like you to name the recent player our Bills gave away 3rd and 4th draft picks to move up for that in the end was worth it?

I can't

Yet our Bills under DW, and various HC's, keep doing it, repeating, what IMO hasn't worked

I'm going to love seeing Jones and Dawkins in a Bills uni

But I'm really going to miss all those 3rd and 4th round draft picks who could have been starting at OLB, nickel, backup RB, etc

I just don't think a 7-8 win team should be continually moving up and casting aside valuable 3rd and 4th round picks

jc

but will you still hate the way the draft played out if Jones and Dawkins become quality starters while players in the 3rd and 4th rounds dont pan ?

We wont know that for a few years....but still

They traded a third round pick for a fifth round pick. Simply because they thought other teams wanted their guy. Even though he had a third round grade by most publications.

Bills picked up what "may very well" be three starters. But they should have picked up what "may very well" be four starters.

Last I checked, 4 > 3

Utter nonsense.

its all fine. good rebuild/restart draft; but alas,with new coaches, schemes, limited practice (thanks CBA) and Pats stronger than ever (thanks Bills) three more years of suck pretty much in the bag now. just use your heads, go 2-14 and draft Darnold. .. but no, they'll compete like hell, lose a bunch of games by under 10, go 7-9 and get no one. same old Bills. but hey , the tailgates are great, aren't they!

Edited by jmcraig44

I like Mahomes, Trubisky, and Watson. I now hope, of course, the 2018 qb class still looks as strong a year from now. Scrutiny and the uncertainty of real life tends to alter things a bit. Clearly, the scenario you paint is plausible. I saw a list of five or six names, but the three you mention are the only ones I recall.

There's also Lamar Jackson of Louisville.

I didn;t say I hated the picks or the draft but just I am critical of a 7-8 win team continually casting aside 3rd and 4th round draft picks

Actually the test is not if the player turns into a quality starter

The player has to turn into a quality starter plus what we didn't get in the 3rd round

Again under DW, which trade up has worked, examples please?

We will see if the new GM and or new Bills Mgmt team continues this practice....

I;m just saying the old practice so far didn't yield results

jc