Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

I have a feeling that the draft situation will go something like this...

Darnold goes 1.

Rosen goes 2.

Broncos get Cousins (they want to win another super bowl before that defense is too old).

Buffalo trades up with Chicago (our earliest 1st this year, and our 1st in 2019) to jump ahead of the Jets & Cardinals, and take Josh Allen. If they need to they’ll jump ahead of the Broncos to do that as well. 

6 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Darnold goes 1.

Rosen goes 2.

Broncos get Cousins (they want to win another super bowl before that defense is too old).

Buffalo trades up with Chicago (our earliest 1st this year, and our 1st in 2019) to jump ahead of the Jets & Cardinals, and take Josh Allen. If they need to they’ll jump ahead of the Broncos to do that as well. 

I don't think 1 1st this year and one next is going to be enough to pull off that move.

KC now looks like they will win the AFC West, so that pick is going to be late.  The Bills' own pick is likely going to be around 20th - especially if they beat Miami today.  They appear to have played themselves out of a shot at a good QB prospect.

Edited by OldTimer1960

52 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don't think 1 1st this year and one next is going to be enough to pull off that move.

KC now looks like they will win the AFC West, so that pick is going to be late.  The Bills' own pick is likely going to be around 20th - especially if they beat Miami today.  They appear to have played themselves out of a shot at a good QB prospect.

Keane may be flying up the charts but he should still be there at 20.

24 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Keane may be flying up the charts but he should still be there at 20.

Are you talking about Tyler Keane of Coastal Carolina?  His own coach has tried all season to move him out of the lineup.  He is only 5'10" 195 according to this link: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/sun-belt/coastal-carolina-university/article181163981.html

if that is who you are talking about, he will be around late in the draft.

6 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Are you talking about Tyler Keane of Coastal Carolina?  His own coach has tried all season to move him out of the lineup.  He is only 5'10" 195 according to this link: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/college/sun-belt/coastal-carolina-university/article181163981.html

if that is who you are talking about, he will be around late in the draft.

A sleeper for sure but resilient as your link detail.  I'm not advocating it,  but the hype will have him discussed.

This is how I see it, Josh Rosen is going to be very good, we have no shot at him and this may be unpopular to say but I think Darnold has a really high bust rate. I think he needs to go back to school, if he gets redshirted in his first year in the NFL, I think his chances of being highly successful go up significantly. We have no shot at Darnold or Rosen.

Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield although highly touted are gimmick QBs. Mayfield is a system QB, I don't think his game translates. Jackson is a RB playing QB, I don't think he'll ever be a good passer.

What we're left with: Josh Allen and Mason Rudolph. Either of these 2 I would absolutely take with our first pick. Neither of them are sure things but there is enough there where I would take a stab at either of them. Josh Allen moves in the pocket better, I'd give him the nod but both have great arms and would upgrade our offense immediately. We can't draft a QB with the standard being that they're the next Aaron Rodgers, we may have to settle with an Andy Dalton type of QB.

17 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Hypothetically, getting up to pick #7 or so (let’s assume the Bengals & Jets are around #8 & #9. 

Pick 7 is worth 1500pts.

Lets say Buffalo gets lucky, and makes the playoffs, but loses, they pick 22nd, good for 780pts. 

Also assume for arguments sake, the Chiefs Pick is 25th, 720pts. That’s actually exactly 1500pts. 

A team like the Bears May want a receiver, but might not want to pick one at #7. Colts, Buccaneers, 49’ers, etc are all solid candidates. And our 2019 1st Round Pick might even be considered more valuable to a team like the Bears if they want to see how Trubisky is in year 2 and decide whether to build around him further for year 3, or cut their losses and use additional Draft capital to make moves for another quarterback.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:20 AM, Dkollidas said:

Darnold goes 1.

Rosen goes 2.

NO WAY we trade up for Allen.

If anyone it will be Mayfield, but hopefully we won't have to.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You think this group led by McDermott & Beane would touch Mayfield? I just don’t see them wanting his personality on this team at all. 

3 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

You think this group led by McDermott & Beane would touch Mayfield? I just don’t see them wanting his personality on this team at all. 

I don't think they are afraid of personalities, they want dedicated football players and Mayfield is all of that. They dealt with Cam Super-Diva Newton , Baker will be a cake walk.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I could very easily be wrong but imo, Mayfield's draft position will be greatly influenced by his playoff performance(s).  NFL teams might be reluctant to pass on him if he lights it up. Not drafting Watson bit a lot of teams in the ass, including the Bills.

I can't see Mayfield dropping to the Bills unless he completely tanks.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I hope not! I only saw him in one game, and his accuracy reminded me of EJ. I never bothered to watch him again. I don’t need any more of that! :huh:

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

This is how I see it, Josh Rosen is going to be very good, we have no shot at him and this may be unpopular to say but I think Darnold has a really high bust rate. I think he needs to go back to school, if he gets redshirted in his first year in the NFL, I think his chances of being highly successful go up significantly. We have no shot at Darnold or Rosen.

Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield although highly touted are gimmick QBs. Mayfield is a system QB, I don't think his game translates. Jackson is a RB playing QB, I don't think he'll ever be a good passer.

What we're left with: Josh Allen and Mason Rudolph. Either of these 2 I would absolutely take with our first pick. Neither of them are sure things but there is enough there where I would take a stab at either of them. Josh Allen moves in the pocket better, I'd give him the nod but both have great arms and would upgrade our offense immediately. We can't draft a QB with the standard being that they're the next Aaron Rodgers, we may have to settle with an Andy Dalton type of QB.

What is this fascination with Josh Allen???  Why does everyone think he will make it in the NFL?? He couldn't even dominate in the league he played in in college. Mason Rudolph?? Is it because they have the "QB stature"? Sorry, but I'd take Jackson/Mayfield before those two.

19 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I agree with your assessment that we will have no shot at Darold or Rosen. The QB needy teams ahead of us will not want to trade out. I also think McBean will stay away from Mayfield and Jackson for the reasons you say, so  its Allen or Rudolph for us. I think they go with the 4 year starter in Rudolph. Allen is the better athlete with a rocket arm but he looks like a lot more of a project QB. He has shown raw potential and thats it in college. Rudolph has a good enough arm with good mechanics and is accurate but his offense looks like a one read and throw system to me. I have no idea if he can read a defense. In the end, I think Rudolph is a McBean type guy that a they take a chance with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, the skycap said:

What is this fascination with Josh Allen???  Why does everyone think he will make it in the NFL?? He couldn't even dominate in the league he played in in college. Mason Rudolph?? Is it because they have the "QB stature"? Sorry, but I'd take Jackson/Mayfield before those two.

Lamar Jackson is Vick with half the arm talent, he sees ghosts and most of his big plays are when he runs the ball himself.

Mayfield I think is a system guy, solid arm but Rudolph and Allen have twice the arm.

Just my perspective, doesn't make me right, doesn't make me wrong, just my opinion. Ideally we target Mason Rudolph, I'm hoping some of the other prospects bump him down to us.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.