Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

I'd bet my house (I wouldn't) Josh Allen is a Buffalo Bill on April 26th, around 9PM.

McBeane will not sell the farm to acquire a QB and Allen will be in prime position for the Bills to draft in the 15-25 range.

Take that ish to the bank.

Edited by Chicken Boo

On 12/11/2017 at 2:38 PM, Ittakestime said:

I don't think Darnold is coming out this year.  Really think he will pull a Luck.  I think things are starting to shape out:

Rosen

Allen

Jackson

Mayfield

4 first round QBs

If Darnold stays in school there are only 3 1st round QBs for me at this stage... Rosen, Mayfield and Rudolph. 

I wouldn't touch Allen before the 3rd but I have no doubt an NFL team will because as Flutie always said "if you are 5ft11 you have to prove you can play, if you are 6ft 5 you have to prove you can't".

I'm a little behind on Jackson but based on two views earlier this year I have a 3rd/4th on him. I don't think Watson is a good comparison for him I think Dak is a better one and at this time two years ago I had a similar grade on Dak. He ended up with a low 2nd on my board so maybe Jackson climbs the same way as I watch more. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Darnold stays in school there are only 3 1st round QBs for me at this stage... Rosen, Mayfield and Rudolph. 

I wouldn't touch Allen before the 3rd but I have no doubt an NFL team will because as Flutie always said "if you are 5ft11 you have to prove you can play, if you are 6ft 5 you have to prove you can't".

I'm a little behind on Jackson but based on two views earlier this year I have a 3rd/4th on him. I don't think Watson is a good comparison for him I think Dak is a better one and at this time two years ago I had a similar grade on Dak. He ended up with a low 2nd on my board so maybe Jackson climbs the same way as I watch more. 

With a player like Jackson you are without a doubt projecting more than with qbs who are more of a finished product. From a developmental standpoint he and Darnold would greatly benefit from another year in school. What has impressed me about Jackson is the leap forward he made from last year to this year. He went from being an athletic player to being a better qb. Certainly, there is much more work to be done. 

I have a slightly different approach to your draft evaluation process when considering the qb position. My take is that labeling a qb prospect a second or third round prospect is not the most relevant/useful way to assess the candidates. A better approach is to evaluate the prospects within the framework of the player having the talent to eventually become a franchise qb. With that in mind it is wiser to draft a qb sooner than the ranking. As an example if you ascribe a third round value to Dak then it isn't wrong to select him with a second round pick, especially for a team with a desperate need. 

When you consider that the Bills haven't had a legitimate franchise for nearly a quarter century then clearly this rebuilding franchise has to make it a priority to address that critical position. In my view, the qbs who should be considered first round picks are Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph and Jackson. All are different types of qb and each has a different developmental timetable. Truth be told my favorite is Mayfield. But I am open to the others. Last year we could have selected Mahomes or Watson in the first round. I said it then and I will say it again, it was a mistake. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

With a player like Jackson you are without a doubt projecting more than with qbs who are more of a finished product. From a developmental standpoint he and Darnold would greatly benefit from another year in school. What has impressed me about Jackson is the leap forward he made from last year to this year. He went from being an athletic player to being a better qb. Certainly, there is much more work to be done. 

I have a slightly different approach to your draft evaluation process when considering the qb position. My take is that labeling a qb prospect a second or third round prospect is not the most relevant/useful way to assess the candidates. A better approach is to evaluate the prospects within the framework of the player having the talent to eventually become a franchise qb. With that in mind it is wiser to draft a qb sooner than the ranking. As an example if you ascribe a third round value to Dak then it isn't wrong to select him with a second round pick, especially for a team with a desperate need. 

When you consider that the Bills haven't had a legitimate franchise for nearly a quarter century then clearly this rebuilding franchise has to make it a priority to address that critical position. In my view, the qbs who should be considered first round picks are Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph and Jackson. All are different types of qb and each has a different developmental timetable. Truth be told my favorite is Mayfield. But I am open to the others. Last year we could have selected Mahomes or Watson in the first round. I said it then and I will say it again, it was a mistake. 

You don't have a different approach particularl.  My grades are my grades but that doesn't necessarily translate to where I would want The Bills to select them.  What you do have is a different opinion on Jackson - I would still be a little leery about him in the 1st this year.  I just don't at this stage believe I see a guy with the potential to become a Franchise QB.  Josh Allen I would be mortified if we select in the 1st - I see the potential of a bust there being extremely high.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You don't have a different approach particularl.  My grades are my grades but that doesn't necessarily translate to where I would want The Bills to select them.  What you do have is a different opinion on Jackson - I would still be a little leery about him in the 1st this year.  I just don't at this stage believe I see a guy with the potential to become a Franchise QB.  Josh Allen I would be mortified if we select in the 1st - I see the potential of a bust there being extremely high.  

On your own accord and without much cajoling I'm confident that he will grow on you. It's not what he is but what he can be. So on this issue I will leave you alone and let you naturally come around. As McDermott likes to say: Trust the process. :)

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He was a 56% passer last year with all of his weapons.  He is 56% this year.  That is terrifying.  See Conner Cook.

If they made a movie about qbs, guys like him and EJ would be stars.  But that accuracy is scary (and I believe EJ was like a 66% passer). 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Definitely tuning in to this one.

I had plans to be at this game and the Bills-Chargers but stupid life and responsibilities ruins everything.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hope Peterman is the guy, but now we can get down to business in finding a QB.

I hope Peterman comes in and lights the world on fire.  Even if he does though I would like to see a high pick on a qb.  Insurance at the QB situation and 2 cost controlled guys would be a great problem to have.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, section122 said:

I hope Peterman comes in and lights the world on fire.  Even if he does though I would like to see a high pick on a qb.  Insurance at the QB situation and 2 cost controlled guys would be a great problem to have.

Nothing wrong with competition. But they will bring in a cheaper vet, right? Would they carry three? What if Peterman is “just” good, but you don’t want to start him or dump him. Being mediocre has been an important part of our curse - as a team and at QB!  This leads to so many questions in my mind...

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Nothing wrong with competition. But they will bring in a cheaper vet, right? Would they carry three? What if Peterman is “just” good, but you don’t want to start him or dump him. Being mediocre has been an important part of our curse - as a team and at QB!  This leads to so many questions in my mind...

The QB landscape in the NFL is set for some pretty major changes this offseason, and in the near future beyond that.

Clearly in the market:

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

Browns

Broncos

49ers

Redskins

Also possible due to QB age/decline/durability:

Steelers

Ravens

Colts

Chargers

Giants

Vikings

Saints

Cardinals

That's basically half the league.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The QB landscape in the NFL is set for some pretty major changes this offseason, and in the near future beyond that.

Clearly in the market:

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

Browns

Broncos

49ers

Redskins

Also possible due to QB age/decline/durability:

Steelers

Ravens

Colts

Chargers

Giants

Vikings

Saints

Cardinals

That's basically half the league.

I think you can eliminate the 49ers with Garoppolo and possibly the Browns, who might give Kizer a shot at being the guy (and dare I say the Bills with Peterman?).  Bridgewater is back with the Vikings and may eliminate QB as a pressing need for them as well.

Edited by Billsfansinceday1

1 minute ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I think you can eliminate the 49ers with Garoppolo and possibly the Browns, who might give Kiser a shot at being the guy (and dare I say the Bills with Peterman?).  Bridgewater is back with the Vikings and may also eliminate QB as a pressing need for them as well.

Garoppolo is on his last year of his deal and hasn't played yet. Not sure he's a reason yet, maybe if they commit to him with a long term contract though. At this point they're still looking imo.

Kizer has been benched almost as much as he's started. If Hue is out, it's likely that the next coach will pick their own QB.

Bridgewater isn't the solution anywhere. I swear people either don't remember how he performed before he got hurt, or just weren't paying attention.

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Garoppolo is on his last year of his deal and hasn't played yet. Not sure he's a reason yet, maybe if they commit to him with a long term contract though. At this point they're still looking imo.

Kizer has been benched almost as much as he's started. If Hue is out, it's likely that the next coach will pick their own QB.

Bridgewater isn't the solution anywhere. I swear people either don't remember how he performed before he got hurt, or just weren't paying attention.

It is hard to imagine the 49ers would trade for him if they were going to watch him go at the end of the year...Lynch is a pretty smart guy.

i am just saying that it is a bit early to write off Kizer and Bridgewater was on the upswing before his injury.

Edited by Billsfansinceday1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.