Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

1 hour ago, H2o said:

A lot of what I heard going into this year was he is a better version of Patrick Mahomes. 

The lack of talent around him has put him in a terrible situation this year.  But he has all the tools and hasn't been a problem off the field.  Might not get the top QB type grade but with the right coaching and given some time to develop, I think he would be a solid franchise QB in this league at the very least.

52 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

The lack of talent around him has put him in a terrible situation this year.  But he has all the tools and hasn't been a problem off the field.  Might not get the top QB type grade but with the right coaching and given some time to develop, I think he would be a solid franchise QB in this league at the very least.

How many of those guys actually develop?  I get this if you’re at a power conference school.  But Allen should be putting up much bigger numbers in the WAC.  You’re not going to play in perfect situations in the nfl.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

How many of those guys actually develop?  I get this if you’re at a power conference school.  But Allen should be putting up much bigger numbers in the WAC.  You’re not going to play in perfect situations in the nfl.

I think our situation is a good one for a player like him though.  We have a good deal of talent on offense and with all sorts of cap and draft picks this year, I think that will only increase.  He doesn't have to sit the entire season, David Carr started as the third string QB and then was thrust into the lineup after injuries.  I think the kid has what it takes with the right kind of people around him.  I think that McDermott is the type of guy that I'd want as the Head Coach with a young QB.  He seems to be able to boost players confidence even when they don't play well.  I just think the kid has the highest potential in this draft class with his arm talent and mobility.  I think the only reason people are having doubts is because he isn't at a power conference and that shouldn't hurt him because if you really watch the games, he's running for his life behind the oline and has terrible options to throw to.  With the right situation and development, yeah I think he can be the guy.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I think our situation is a good one for a player like him though.  We have a good deal of talent on offense and with all sorts of cap and draft picks this year, I think that will only increase.  He doesn't have to sit the entire season, David Carr started as the third string QB and then was thrust into the lineup after injuries.  I think the kid has what it takes with the right kind of people around him.  I think that McDermott is the type of guy that I'd want as the Head Coach with a young QB.  He seems to be able to boost players confidence even when they don't play well.  I just think the kid has the highest potential in this draft class with his arm talent and mobility.  I think the only reason people are having doubts is because he isn't at a power conference and that shouldn't hurt him because if you really watch the games, he's running for his life behind the oline and has terrible options to throw to.  With the right situation and development, yeah I think he can be the guy.

I'm open-minded regarding qb prospects. But for me the issue isn't so much physical attributes as it is actual production. Mayfield has played in big games such as at Ohio State and at Oklahoma State. In each game he was the most dynamic player on the field full of talented players. What has intrigued me as much as his production on the field is watching how the other players respond to him and he responds to them. That type of charisma can't be faked. You either have it or not. 

My impression of his as a player and person is that he is not the type of player that requires a long time to get acclimated to the more challenging pro game. My impression that he is resilient enough and confident enough to handle the tribulations that are part of the learning process. I like him a lot yet am still open-minded on other prospects. 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm open-minded regarding qb prospects. But for me the issue isn't so much physical attributes as it is actual production. Mayfield has played in big games such as at Ohio State and at Oklahoma State. In each game he was the most dynamic player on the field full of talented players. What has intrigued me as much as his production on the field is watching how the other players respond to him and he responds to them. That type of charisma can't be faked. You either have it or not. 

My impression of his as a player and person is that he is not the type of player that requires a long time to get acclimated to the more challenging pro game. My impression that he is resilient enough and confident enough to handle the tribulations that are part of the learning process. I like him a lot yet am still open-minded on other prospects. 

Mayfield and Lamar Jackson passes the "eyeball test"

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I just have a difficult time with his height.  The NFL has some huge players, I wonder how he will do trying to look over and around guys that are 6'5".  To me, with the bigger faster players at every position, a big armed QB is needed for a passing attack.  Josh Allen has made some Aaron Rodgers type throws in his college career and had a game winning drive a few games ago. I just think some team will fall in love with him and his abilities as a 6'5" 240 lb QB with a rocket arm and Andrew Luck type mobility.  

Just my two cents:

I'm a big Oklahoma fan, lived there the year they beat FSU for the championship and the atmosphere around the entire state was ELECTRIC!  I've been skeptical about Mayfield due to his size, but he seems to always see the whole field, and that's having those pretty big OU linemen in front of him all the time.  He always knows where he's going with the ball.

What I like most is how accurate his throws are short and intermediate.  His quick passes to the RB's are beauty.  IMHO Tyrod has a nicer long ball.  The guy can just flick it and it goes 50+ yards.  But Mayfield seems to react quicker and gets the ball out faster no matter what the route is.  Shows great anticipation, knowledge of a very complicated offense, etc.

He's really impressed me this year with less talent in the WR corps on OU.  The guy is just a gamer though.  Reminds me more of Favre than anyone in recent memory.  Love his competitiveness.  I'll be very disappointed if Beane doesn't do what it takes to get him early.  He can sit for a year or two behind TT and learn the pro game.

What a dream it would be to have Mayfield starting in a year or two and TT as the backup (dream). 

21 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I just have a difficult time with his height.  The NFL has some huge players, I wonder how he will do trying to look over and around guys that are 6'5".  To me, with the bigger faster players at every position, a big armed QB is needed for a passing attack.  Josh Allen has made some Aaron Rodgers type throws in his college career and had a game winning drive a few games ago. I just think some team will fall in love with him and his abilities as a 6'5" 240 lb QB with a rocket arm and Andrew Luck type mobility.  

Agreed.  Teams will scheme to keep mayfield in the pocket and make him throw through 6’5” + DL with their hands up in windows.  it’s just not feasible.  

I too think Allen will impress in the individual workouts enough for a team to think they can coach him up

2 hours ago, Mr Beavers said:

Just my two cents:

I'm a big Oklahoma fan, lived there the year they beat FSU for the championship and the atmosphere around the entire state was ELECTRIC!  I've been skeptical about Mayfield due to his size, but he seems to always see the whole field, and that's having those pretty big OU linemen in front of him all the time.  He always knows where he's going with the ball.

What I like most is how accurate his throws are short and intermediate.  His quick passes to the RB's are beauty.  IMHO Tyrod has a nicer long ball.  The guy can just flick it and it goes 50+ yards.  But Mayfield seems to react quicker and gets the ball out faster no matter what the route is.  Shows great anticipation, knowledge of a very complicated offense, etc.

He's really impressed me this year with less talent in the WR corps on OU.  The guy is just a gamer though.  Reminds me more of Favre than anyone in recent memory.  Love his competitiveness.  I'll be very disappointed if Beane doesn't do what it takes to get him early.  He can sit for a year or two behind TT and learn the pro game.

What a dream it would be to have Mayfield starting in a year or two and TT as the backup (dream). 

I don't think he has the arm to be compared to Favre.

I could not be more against Josh Allen if he had stolen my car keys. 

His two games against legitimate competition this year he stunk. And it wasn't because of talent around him.... he was wildly inaccurate and made atrocious decisions. 

If the Bills draft him early I will smash my head against the closest wall. 

Edited by GunnerBill

On 11/9/2017 at 3:01 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I will be shocked. We all see the arm but the results have NOT been there.

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Agreed, he's not my favorite but neither was Russel Wilson and id take that dude in a minute.

12 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I would trade for Luck in a heartbeat. He has been screwed by his former GM with no team around him.

He would be a perfect fit here with what we want to do, it would be like NFL Stanford.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I would trade for Luck in a heartbeat. He has been screwed by his former GM with no team around him.

He would be a perfect fit here with what we want to do, it would be like NFL Stanford.

I am wondering if Luck, Cousins and Alex Smith are going to be available next year.  There are quite a few teams that would benefit from having them as their QB and that would have a dramatic effect on the draft status of some of these promising young QBs.

I would have no objection to having Luck in a Bills uniform.

8 minutes ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I am wondering if Luck, Cousins and Alex Smith are going to be available next year.  There are quite a few teams that would benefit from having them as their QB and that would have a dramatic effect on the draft status of some of these promising young QBs.

I would have no objection to having Luck in a Bills uniform.

I'd take all those guys; Luck, Smith then Cousins.

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen has reportedly cleared concussion protocol and is in line to start the Bruins' home game Saturday night against Arizona State at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.  

Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times provided the status update Friday.

Rosen originally suffered the injury during UCLA's 44-23 loss to Washington on Oct. 28. He missed last week's 48-17 blowout defeat at the hands of Utah while recovering from the concussion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, the skycap said:

Mayfield and Lamar Jackson passes the "eyeball test"

Lamar Jackson? No thanks. The guy is a heck of an athlete, a Heisman winner, but I don't see him making it at QB in the NFL. The games I have seen, especially this year when he was supposed to be an "improved passer", he is still all over the place. One throw a dime and the next you're like htf did he miss that guy. His mechanics aren't that great as far as his footwork either. He's like a Troy Smith, Calvin Pryor type of QB. He will probably end up a WR at the next level. I sure as hell don't want the Bills to waste a pick on him in hopes he will be our future QB.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I could not be more against Josh Allen if he had stolen my car keys. 

His two games against legitimate competition this year he stunk. And it wasn't because of talent around him.... he was wildly inaccurate and made atrocious decisions. 

If the Bills draft him early I will smash my head against the closest wall. 

Don't worry Gunner, the mocks don't have the Bills drafting a QB next year

19 minutes ago, H2o said:

Lamar Jackson? No thanks. The guy is a heck of an athlete, a Heisman winner, but I don't see him making it at QB in the NFL. The games I have seen, especially this year when he was supposed to be an "improved passer", he is still all over the place. One throw a dime and the next you're like htf did he miss that guy. His mechanics aren't that great as far as his footwork either. He's like a Troy Smith, Calvin Pryor type of QB. He will probably end up a WR at the next level. I sure as hell don't want the Bills to waste a pick on him in hopes he will be our future QB.  

He's a bigger version of Tyrod Taylor. His production, in college is equal to if not better than Baker Mayfield and every QB expert says he has developed as a passer. The Bills need a type of QB who can put offense on his back and produce and Mayfield and Jackson are the only two who I've seen do it consistently 

7 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Don't worry Gunner, the mocks don't have the Bills drafting a QB next year

He's a bigger version of Tyrod Taylor. His production, in college is equal to if not better than Baker Mayfield and every QB expert says he has developed as a passer. The Bills need a type of QB who can put offense on his back and produce and Mayfield and Jackson are the only two who I've seen do it consistently 

I would take a chance on Mayfield because I have seen him make his throws consistently, reading the whole field. He also seems to embrace big moments. The guys is a QB who is athletic enough to run if he has to. Jackson is too erratic and is more of an athlete playing the QB position imo. He reminds me of Kaepernick. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mayfield has plenty of arm. Don't worry about that. 

He's got a noodle compared to Favre.  But almost everyone does compared to him so...I just prefer Josh Allen's height, arm strength (actually comparable to Favre as he throws heaters through small windows.  If you really dive into the tape, you see some really great things from Allen and just how terrible his supporting cast is.  If Mayfield doesn't have the best tight end in college football and all the other support he has on that Oklahoma team...he's not even considered a draft pick.  Josh Allen is still considered a high pick with scarecrows for lineman.  That's just my opinion though.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.