Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

Josh Rosen is my bet for #1 pick.

His personality will rub some coaches and GM's the wrong way, but he has QB qualities that are special.

As a side note:

The Bills play the Chargers in LA November 19. The day before Sam Darnold & USC play Josh Rosen & UCLA at the Coliseum. That'd make for a great weekend!

What are the issues with Rosen that people keep bringing up? I know about the medical but I keep seeing "head case" and "personality" stuff. Don't follow PAC10 as much, hadn't heard...

I have heard he is mentally fragile. Incredible arm talent. But very much hates getting hit. If you draft him for your NFL team you better have an elite NFL line because he takes a few hits he will give up.

What are the issues with Rosen that people keep bringing up? I know about the medical but I keep seeing "head case" and "personality" stuff. Don't follow PAC10 as much, hadn't heard...

Wore a "!@#$ Trump" hat playing golf. Had a hot tub in his dorm.

Essentially, easy target for the "Does he love football or what the game does for him?" target. Just a kid having fun.

Wore a "!@#$ Trump" hat playing golf. Had a hot tub in his dorm.

Essentially, easy target for the "Does he love football or what the game does for him?" target. Just a kid having fun.

hot tub in his dorm! Should elevate him on anyone's draft board tbh :lol:

Some good options next draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/friday-five-ranking-the-top-2018-nfl-draft-quarterback-prospects/

5. Luke Falk, Washington State: I was torn between two names to put in this fifth slot. Falk obviously won out, but the other name was Penn State’s Trace McSorley. In the end, I decided to go with Falk because 2018 will be his senior season and he’s definitely entering the draft next year. McSorley will be draft eligible, but there’s no guarantee he’ll be leaving Penn State.

So congratulations, Luke. You win on a technicality of sorts.

Which isn’t to say he’s not going to generate interest. Falk plays in an offense that is definitely pass-first. Even if Washington State implemented the run game more last year, it’s still a Mike Leach offense, and it’s an offense Falk has put up monster numbers in the last few seasons. As a starter the last two years, Falk has thrown for 9,029 yards and 76 touchdowns. Odds are he’ll throw for at least 4,000 yards and 35 touchdowns again in 2017.

He also has the size that NFL teams are going to look at as he checks in at 6-foot-4 and 205 pounds.

4. Josh Allen, Wyoming: Are you a fan of an NFL team that has a quarterback situation that leaves a little something to be desired? If you are, you may want to try to watch Wyoming play football this season. If you do, you’ll see a quarterback that many felt could have been a first-round pick had he chosen to leave Wyoming this year.

Josh Allen didn’t, though, and he’ll return to the Cowboys for another season. Allen will be compared to former North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz because of where he goes to school. He’ll be the guy that “came out of nowhere,” but the truth is he’s always been there if you know where to look.

Allen’s numbers with Wyoming last season weren’t eye-popping. He completed only 56 percent of his passes for 3,203 yards, 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. That’s not what will matter to NFL teams, though.

No, they’ll look at Allen and see a kid who is 6-foot-5 and 222 pounds. A big kid with a good arm, decent athleticism, and experience playing in a pro-style system at Wyoming.

3. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State: I get the sense that I’m a bit higher on Mason Rudolph than some, but believe me when I tell you that NFL teams are going to be all over him after next season. He just checks all the boxes of what NFL teams look for in a quarterback.

He has the size at 6-foot-5 and 235 pounds, and he definitely has the arm. Rudolph fits balls into windows that a lot of other college quarterbacks just can’t -- though they’ll try anyway -- and he’s accurate while doing so.

That’s why he been able to complete 63 percent of his passes the last two seasons while averaging nearly nine yards per attempt. It’s also why he had seven times as many touchdowns (28) as interceptions (four) last season.

While he won’t start at the top of the list -- I mean, he’s No. 3 here, and I love him -- I wouldn’t be surprised if Rudolph is considered the top guy in the 2018 class by this time next year.

2. Josh Rosen, UCLA: Rosen arrived at UCLA with a lot of hype, and deservedly so. He was a good, young, polished quarterback straight out of high school. He also played incredibly well as a true freshman in 2015, completing 60 percent of his passes for 3,669 yards and 23 touchdowns. He also threw 11 interceptions, but again, he was a true freshman, and I don’t care how good they are, they’re going to turn the ball over from time to time.

His sophomore season wasn’t nearly as kind. Rosen played in only six games because of a shoulder injury that required surgery. Now, when it comes to a quarterback, shoulder surgery is always scary, and you have to believe it could be a red flag for some NFL teams.

The good news for Rosen is that he’s expected to be fully healthy for the start of the 2017 season. If he gets back on the field and shows improvement on the promise he displayed in 2015, he’s going to be a big-time NFL prospect yet again. He has the size, he has the arm, and he’s shown a good command of the offense at UCLA at a very young age. It’s basically like he was built to be a first-round pick one day.

1. Sam Darnold, USC: The hype for Darnold has already begun. He’s already the Heisman favorite six months before the season even begins , and if you look at early 2018 NFL mock drafts (seriously, they exist) you’re going to find Darnold’s name as the No. 1 pick more often than not.

And I find it really hard to disagree with any of it.

He was only a four-star recruit out of high school in 2015, and after redshirting his first year at USC, he lost out to Max Browne to open 2016 as USC’s starter. Even then, though, many felt it was only a matter of time before Darnold took over the starting gig because he’d been extremely impressive since coming to campus.

Darnold saw some time as a reserve in USC’s first three games and finally took over the starting job for good in the Trojans’ fourth game of the season. Though USC lost his first start on the road against a good Utah team, it wasn’t because of anything Darnold did wrong.

Then he just took off.

Over USC’s final nine games of the season, Darnold threw for 2,833 yards and 31 touchdowns while completing nearly 70 percent of his passes. And while nobody would consider him the next Lamar Jackson, he also showed enough mobility with his legs to be a running threat as well.

You put his numbers alongside his measurables, and he’s suddenly the guy who will have plenty of NFL fans rooting for their team to lose games so they can get the No. 1 pick and take him.

Yes, there’s a lot of hype surrounding Darnold right now, but he’s fully capable of living up to it.

I like the Mason Rudolph pick in this early going. Sorry, but I don't want a high 1st round pick on a UCLA warm weather QB that just had shoulder surgery. Darnold is probably the cream of the crop in the early going, however, call me superstitious or just plain crazy, but Carson Palmer is the last USC QB that seemed to fair well in a cold weather city. Also, I like that Mason has the height and the combination of good but not great accuracy with arm capability of those left. Having said that, I like the Josh Allen pick as well based on Pro Style Offense and his size, and lastly, not on the list is University of Washington QB, was PAC-12 Offensive Player of the Year and finished 6th in Heisman voting this year, 43 TD passes this year, sophomore this last year and just 6'2" so far, but looked really promising. Looked pretty bad against Alabama, but except for Clemson, who didn't?? So, I'd keep an eye on him next year and see how it goes....

hot tub in his dorm! Should elevate him on anyone's draft board tbh :lol:

Anything that pushes Jim Mora closer to a stressy outburst that costs him his job is fine in my books.

He's one of 12 QB's that I'm going to look at over the summer. If I have time, maybe another couple of FCS guys.

Allen has ELITE ARM TALENT, size and athleticism but lacks pocket awareness. If he improves I would love to have him here. Still think Darnold is the cream of the crop, time will tell.

Why is Darold the top guy? 1 season folks that's it. By the draft Baker Mayfield will have three outstanding seasons under his belt including setting the season record for QB rating (2016).

I like the Mason Rudolph pick in this early going. Sorry, but I don't want a high 1st round pick on a UCLA warm weather QB that just had shoulder surgery. Darnold is probably the cream of the crop in the early going, however, call me superstitious or just plain crazy, but Carson Palmer is the last USC QB that seemed to fair well in a cold weather city. Also, I like that Mason has the height and the combination of good but not great accuracy with arm capability of those left. Having said that, I like the Josh Allen pick as well based on Pro Style Offense and his size, and lastly, not on the list is University of Washington QB, was PAC-12 Offensive Player of the Year and finished 6th in Heisman voting this year, 43 TD passes this year, sophomore this last year and just 6'2" so far, but looked really promising. Looked pretty bad against Alabama, but except for Clemson, who didn't?? So, I'd keep an eye on him next year and see how it goes....

Mason Rudolph is a choke artist. OU kicks his ass everytime they play. He can't be counted on in big games.

Baker Mayfield folks.

Why is Darold the top guy? 1 season folks that's it. By the draft Baker Mayfield will have three outstanding seasons under his belt including setting the season record for QB rating (2016).

Mason Rudolph is a choke artist. OU kicks his ass everytime they play. He can't be counted on in big games.

Baker Mayfield folks.

Anyone want to take a guess who KellyTough supports? :D

From MMQB yesterday: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/04/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-nfl-draft-notebook

• Allen: “I’ve heard all good things. And from what I’ve seen, the raw tools are all there, but he needs to develop his accuracy and his toughness. The size and arm talent are outstanding.”

• Darnold: “The USC kid, the makeup, the intangibles, the intelligence, everything is there. He’s the most accurate of the group. He’s probably the least physically talented (of the three), but he’s the guy you’d pick to play a game right now if you had to. He does have a little bit of a windup.”

• Rosen: “He’s the one I know the best—he’s got size, athletic tools, velocity. He’s just a mess off the field and he’s coming off the injury. He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts.”

As for how this group stacks up to the one just drafted into the NFL, our exec said, “I like Trubisky best, and I think they have a chance to be better than Trubisky was coming out. This was not a good year (at QB).”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.