McDermott Coaching Style - Good or Bad

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Bill B can switch his defense up every week.

It comes down to how you build your team. Patriots favor intelligence and versatility in draft picks allowing Bill to change things up and attack opponent weak spots. Seattle drafts size/speed/power guys and lets them loose in a simple scheme where instincts take over and less game planning.

Bills need to follow Seattle model as our players are not drafted for football IQ. That's why Rex's schemes were a failure here. I think Rex needed Belichick style players like he had in NY(Mangini) in order to run his complex schemes.

I meant he was a 34 guy for years and then over time went a 43

This doesn't really relate to the specifics of to op, but I feel like McDermott is the end of a long journey for us,

He's not going to be a 3 or 5 year coach. This is our coach for the next 10 -20. He's dedifucated to his craft. Incredibly hard worker. Smart and gets it.

He's our Belichick. I'm stoked.

couldn't agree more, now we just need our Brady

I think most NFL coaches are that way. You rarely hear of a 3-4 guy switching to a 4-3, or vice-versa.

I don't think it matters all that much because our D-Line is better for a 4-3. We had little depth in the secondary so that didn't matter. Probably hurts most with linebackers. Ragland and P Brown look a bit out of place.

Thats because 3-4 and 4-3 guys dont exist any more. Every team for years has run hybrids, with a significant percentage of time in both 4-3 and 3-4. The notion of 3-4 or 4-3 guy doesnt exist any more

To me, he just makes me roll my eyes. And maybe that's not much of his fault. You hear all these Coaches that come through here and they all start to sound the same after awhile.

We are going to compete, earn the right to win (to me that sounds stupid), work hard, respect the process.

He is saying the same things as Jauron, Chan, Marrone, Rex. Work really hard and compete.

What he says publicly doesn't even matter. He doesn't say anything of significance or value. Its just canned, stock answers.

Another thing, we've all worked with over-eager company guy. The guy who has done more than you by 6:00 am in the morning, the guy who looks at his watch when you come into the office at 8:00 am. Its great and all that he is that obsessed to wake up at 3:00 am every morning, and set his watch 4 minutes ahead, but I don't really care. None of that is going to win the Bills a Playoff game.

McDermott is a chore to listen to so far.

To me, he just makes me roll my eyes. And maybe that's not much of his fault. You hear all these Coaches that come through here and they all start to sound the same after awhile.

We are going to compete, earn the right to win (to me that sounds stupid), work hard, respect the process.

He is saying the same things as Jauron, Chan, Marrone, Rex. Work really hard and compete.

What he says publicly doesn't even matter. He doesn't say anything of significance or value. Its just canned, stock answers.

Another thing, we've all worked with over-eager company guy. The guy who has done more than you by 6:00 am in the morning, the guy who looks at his watch when you come into the office at 8:00 am. Its great and all that he is that obsessed to wake up at 3:00 am every morning, and set his watch 4 minutes ahead, but I don't really care. None of that is going to win the Bills a Playoff game.

McDermott is a chore to listen to so far.

Then don't listen to him.

Did you see the Jerry Hughes interview? He talks about how McDermott is installing a defense that fits the personnel,turns them loose,let's them play.Of course there needs to be a "system " but that isn't inherently bad. I think some are worried that he will stubbornly run his ""system" whether it fits the personnel or not. Don't know where those fears come from. As for the CB's,I saw the clip of McDermott :yes,we need Corners, we only have one starter,Darby,who seemed to regress under Ryan. Seymour is unproven, Johnson and Cromertie were signed,but they haven't accomplished much, then there are some no names. What did you think McDonald was talking about? We need corners, plain and simple,because we don't have any.

I don't get that vibe from him at all. All coaches have a system, obviously. But he's said on numerous occasions that he plans to fit the scheme around the natural talents of his players. Jerry Hughes just said yesterday it's a defense tailored to the strengths of his players. To me, he's a polar opposite of Rex who believed so heavily in his scheme that it's cost him his last two jobs.

Scheme hasn't cost Rex Ryan anything. Failure of scheme has cost him everything if you call getting a cushy media gig being down on your luck.

OP, I get what your saying. I guess I'm naive but when Rex got hired I didn't think he would change the defense that was working. Hence the sh*t show last season. But I think McDermott wants to go back to the defense implied by Schwartz. Anyway we'll see

Did you see the Jerry Hughes interview? He talks about how McDermott is installing a defense that fits the personnel,turns them loose,let's them play.Of course there needs to be a "system " but that isn't inherently bad. I think some are worried that he will stubbornly run his ""system" whether it fits the personnel or not. Don't know where those fears come from. As for the CB's,I saw the clip of McDermott :yes,we need Corners, we only have one starter,Darby,who seemed to regress under Ryan. Seymour is unproven, Johnson and Cromertie were signed,but they haven't accomplished much, then there are some no names. What did you think McDonald was talking about? We need corners, plain and simple,because we don't have any.

That's because in Mcdermott's system the defensive line get to attack. It's not like he is changing his system to fit our players, it's a lucky coincidence that his scheme matches what our Dline does well.

I will go off thoughts of other NFL coaches and players....he will do great

That's a prediction. There's people on here already grading him, for Harold's sake.

I like McDermott. I think he'll end up being a fine coach. Just not in Buffalo. And that won't be his fault. He's one and done here. That's my prediction.

That's a prediction. There's people on here already grading him, for Harold's sake.

I like McDermott. I think he'll end up being a fine coach. Just not in Buffalo. And that won't be his fault. He's one and done here. That's my prediction.

Mularkey won 9 games then quit. Marrone won 9 games then quit. Sounds like McDermott needs to get 9 wins to get another opportunity.

Mularkey won 9 games then quit. Marrone won 9 games then quit. Sounds like McDermott needs to get 9 wins to get another opportunity.

Ha. 9.

Taking a HC job when the current GM has one foot, both arms and half of his torso out the door, whilst heading into a season with a schedule that even the best teams in the league would have a difficult time making the playoffs playing ... probably isn't going to end up lasting long.

I'm asking this question because I honestly have no idea --- How many new GMs retain the prior season's HC?

Ha. 9.

Taking a HC job when the current GM has one foot, both arms and half of his torso out the door, whilst heading into a season with a schedule that even the best teams in the league would have a difficult time making the playoffs playing ... probably isn't going to end up lasting long.

I'm asking this question because I honestly have no idea --- How many new GMs retain the prior season's HC?

I think Mcdermott coaches 2 years. That seems to be how long coaches get under Pegula.

One thing that hit me today - Don't know why I didn't realize this sooner:

Sean McDermott is a system guy.

Sounds like he has his mind made up that he has to run his defensive system. I know some other coaches who think that way. One of them just got fired from the Bills last season.

I guess McDermott is not the type of coach, nor probably has the experience to do so, who can take another team's defensive personnel and create the defense to best fit that personnel.

Bummer.

That is my first knock against the guy. But it is a significant one. Hope he gets the guys to fit his system. Not the type of coach I really wanted though. So far I like everything else about the guy that I have heard. But a guy stuck on his own system has me very concerned.

Your opinions?

Most coaches to some degree are systems guys...they have beliefs on how things should be done and the types of players they want.

Most coaches to some degree are systems guys...they have beliefs on how things should be done and the types of players they want.

...."to some degree" is the key IMO......even Ditka mumbled one Sunday on ESPN that "you can have the greatest system in the world, but without the right personnel, you'll fail"......so how many drafts/FA's do you give a HC to get "his personnel"?.....flexibility and adaptability to what you have as far as core players is a necessity.....

The 4-3 vs 3-4 debate is missing the fact that nickel is nearing 70% of NFL defensive game play.

Excellent point! I wanted to point this out, as well. This makes some of our choices in the secondary as the nearly most significant. Obviously, we had some awful secondary play last season with Williams, Blanton, etc.