McDermott Coaching Style - Good or Bad

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too worried yet. For one, McDermott already made changes when he went from the Eagles to the Panthers mostly in that he moved from exotic blitz packages to more of the pure single gap pressure system in the linemen. Considering how much we see Brady rip up blitzes, I can't fault him too much.

As for the cornerbacks, let's be honest: we do need more. We have Darby and Seymour and not much else. We're looking at more of zone corners, so that will probably help.

What to watch for is Dennison. I really hope he doesn't switch our power man and zone run blocking up to do only zone run blocking. That would be a disaster.

Actually, Jeff Ratcliffe did a breakdown of a lot of the different run concept that teams ran. Nearly half of the run plays last year were inside or outside zones, compared to something like 13% power. Yes, Roman installed a hybrid system but Lynn called a lot more zone runs once he took over.

I'm not too worried yet. For one, McDermott already made changes when he went from the Eagles to the Panthers mostly in that he moved from exotic blitz packages to more of the pure single gap pressure system in the linemen. Considering how much we see Brady rip up blitzes, I can't fault him too much.

As for the cornerbacks, let's be honest: we do need more. We have Darby and Seymour and not much else. We're looking at more of zone corners, so that will probably help.

Actually, Jeff Ratcliffe did a breakdown of a lot of the different run concept that teams ran. Nearly half of the run plays last year were inside or outside zones, compared to something like 13% power. Yes, Roman installed a hybrid system but Lynn called a lot more zone runs once he took over.

Good post brah!

My initial gut sense for this season after this coaching staff was hired is that two things were going to happen - 1) The Bills defense would get much, much better against the run - pretty much immediately 2) The Bills offense would be much more balanced with running plays and passing plays than it has been for 2 years - which I expect to be a good thing

My biggest fear is whether the defense will be able to defend a passing attack effectively.

Really looking forward to finding out how good (or not) this Bills team is going to be.

Hope McDermott is the next "great" and "legendary" NFL head coach who changes the game because he is better than everyone else.

One thing that hit me today - Don't know why I didn't realize this sooner:

Sean McDermott is a system guy.

Sounds like he has his mind made up that he has to run his defensive system. I know some other coaches who think that way. One of them just got fired from the Bills last season.

I guess McDermott is not the type of coach, nor probably has the experience to do so, who can take another team's defensive personnel and create the defense to best fit that personnel.

Bummer.

That is my first knock against the guy. But it is a significant one. Hope he gets the guys to fit his system. Not the type of coach I really wanted though. So far I like everything else about the guy that I have heard. But a guy stuck on his own system has me very concerned.

Your opinions?

I agree that it's way too early to know what we have in McD. But concerns over signs of inflexibility are reasonable. Still, we don't know what's driving his scheme or his changes. Is it the only way he knows how to scheme defense? Is he trying to maximize mismatched talent on the roster and move the roster to a more coherent and cost effective group? Is he reacting to the current NFL offensive systems and rules?

Rex was the worst possible combination. He was totally stupidly inflexible and totally committed to a system that no longer worked in the NFL. McD certainly has run better systems for today's league. IIRC I read that his systems have been more Cover 3 and Cover 2 focused at different times. That's a good sign that there's at least some flexibility with him.

While it is never good to see a young, highly productive player leave, I do understand the Bills letting Gilmore walk. They can get what they need out of their CBs for a lot less than what a player of his age and skill set demands. My head will be up, but I'll give McD the benefit of doubt on this for now.

Beli, Carol... system guys. They all are to some degree. Have to be. The question is how adaptive the system is to work around the talent changes.

Yep. You can't invent a new offense or defense every year. You have to have some scheme or system in mind. Football - at the NFL level - is an intricate, sophisticated game. Coordinators often evolve and refine their systems for decades.

Though some will prove themselves to be more "adaptive" (perfect word) than others.

He has shifty eyes. Anyone else notice? I'm not sure he can be trusted.

left foot... right foot...

...twitch of the eyes...

...lifts the cap up real slow...

...new sheriff in town...

...goes by the name McDermott...

What to watch for is Dennison. I really hope he doesn't switch our power man and zone run blocking up to do only zone run blocking. That would be a disaster.

We just don't know.

It feels like we should be better with The Ryan Brothers gone but this whole team is learning a new system.

We've seen this enough to know it takes at least half a season to get on the same page.

Looking at the schedule with my son this morning , I could make the case for an 8-8 season but have a suspicion it could be considerably less but not more.

Hope McD has what it takes to HC

left foot... right foot...

...twitch of the eyes...

...lifts the cap up real slow...

...new sheriff in town...

...goes by the name McDermott...

I can see this being turned into a movie. For the sake of clarity, Dermot Mulroney, who is often mistaken for Dylan McDermott, could play the part of Sean McDermott. Dylan McDermott, who is often mistaken for Dermot Mulroney, could be cast in the role of Sean McDermott's split personality that appears when he looks in the mirror and berates his love of character, organization, and process and second guesses everything that the Dermot Mulroney personality does... almost as a metaphor for TBN. I could see this cleaning up at Sundance.

I can see this being turned into a movie. For the sake of clarity, Dermot Mulroney, who is often mistaken for Dylan McDermott, could play the part of Sean McDermott. Dylan McDermott, who is often mistaken for Dermot Mulroney, could be cast in the role of Sean McDermott's split personality that appears when he looks in the mirror and berates his love of character, organization, and process and second guesses everything that the Dermot Mulroney personality does... almost as a metaphor for TBN. I could see this cleaning up at Sundance.

Bravo

One thing that hit me today - Don't know why I didn't realize this sooner:

Sean McDermott is a system guy.

Sounds like he has his mind made up that he has to run his defensive system. I know some other coaches who think that way. One of them just got fired from the Bills last season.

I guess McDermott is not the type of coach, nor probably has the experience to do so, who can take another team's defensive personnel and create the defense to best fit that personnel.

Bummer.

That is my first knock against the guy. But it is a significant one. Hope he gets the guys to fit his system. Not the type of coach I really wanted though. So far I like everything else about the guy that I have heard. But a guy stuck on his own system has me very concerned.

Your opinions?

When you hire a newby, all they know is what they know.

as I've said all along... 3 more years of suck. Roster redo follows coaching re do. Takes at least 3 years to get the roster/scheme fit right if all goes well and the coach isn't fired after year 2. And with Lal gone, so is Sammy. Put that into your calculus.

A Lynn was to only choice that would have led to some continuity. Now its all blown up again. CBA limits practice time severely for a new staff. 3 more years of suck. Then it all starts over again. Enjoy the tailgates, that's about all you got for awhile.....

Edited by jmcraig44

as I've said all along... 3 more years of suck. Roster redo follows coaching re do. Takes at least 3 years to get the roster/scheme fit right if all goes well and the coach isn't fired after year 2. And with Lal gone, so is Sammy. Put that into your calculus.

A Lynn was to only choice that would have led to some continuity. Now its all blown up again. 3 more years of suck. Then it all starts over again. Enjoy the tailgates, that's about all you got for awhile.....

I don't feel like its blown up at all, D needs fixing and the O gets a better system to work out of with Taylor still QB.

A Lynn was to only choice that would have led to some continuity. Now its all blown up again. CBA limits practice time severely for a new staff. 3 more years of suck. Then it all starts over again. Enjoy the tailgates, that's about all you got for awhile.....

Not this negative.... yet but the potential of this being true exists😳

We won't know a thing about McD's coaching style until we see him doing some actual coaching. Xs and Os, systems and the type of player that fits them all speak to what he coaches, not how he coaches.

We won't know a thing about McD's coaching style until we see him doing some actual coaching. Xs and Os, systems and the type of player that fits them all speak to what he coaches, not how he coaches.

Game management, clock management, challenge flags, half time adjustments...... etc

Well, the fact that the Bills hired him is certainly a red flag...

I think McDermott looks like a young guy in the good old boy's club. Marrone, Mularkey, McDermott. You don't need to be a genius.

If he gets elite talent his D will work, if he doesn't it will fail.

Let's see if he marries Tyrod. If he does we will be looking for his replacement soon enough.

Game management, clock management, challenge flags, half time adjustments...... etc

I was thinking more in terms interpersonal relationships, imparting knowledge, etc., but everything you mention are a huge part of the equation as well.

Yep. You can't invent a new offense or defense every year. You have to have some scheme or system in mind. Football - at the NFL level - is an intricate, sophisticated game. Coordinators often evolve and refine their systems for decades.

Though some will prove themselves to be more "adaptive" (perfect word) than others.

https://www.google.com/amp/nesn.com/2016/10/patriots-multiple-alignments-are-keeping-all-front-seven-defenders-happy/amp/

FOXBORO, Mass. The New England Patriots defense changes on a play-to-play basis, but Bill Belichick is making sure hes not putting too much on the plates of his players. The same cant be said for the opposing offense.