Source: Bills Still Deciding on Watkins' 5th Year Option

5th Year Option on Sammy  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Exercise Sammy's 5th Year Option

• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

I'm curious what y'all think...if the Bills do not give the 5th year to Sammy, should they attempt to trade him during the draft, in hopes to recoup some of their investment, to prevent him from walking after next year- leaving the Bills with nothing?

I ask because I always feel the Bills get screwed in these situations, making it seem like they don't plan for the future like the Pats do.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say let him walk, but half the time Sammy cannot even do that. Best player on injury list. His favorite place.

Yes I'm sure he loooooves that he's gotten injured. Idiots on this board....

Some players are not " tough" . Always having nagging injuries and letting people know they do. Sammy appears to be this type.

I don't believe the Jones fracture is a simple " nagging type" injury. Many NFL players have gotten this. None nearly as tough as fans though, I'm certain.

there seems to be no apparent risk in failing to extend him save for relationships

The risk is that he leaves and stays healthy and is a star for another team. A real possibility if he has overcome the injury. Then voila: you have a player that you spent 2 first round picks for depart after just 3.25 seasons played.

If Buffalo exercises the option, the Bills will shell out around $13 million in 2018, more than double what Watkins is earning in 2017.

FORGET IT. NOT FOR MR. GLASS.

Only what Gilmore is getting. Totally worth it for a player of Watkins talent and probably part of the reason they would only pay so much for SG. They would get next to nothing in a trade scenario as everyone would know that he wouldn't return to the Bills and will just wait for FA next year.

Only what Gilmore is getting. Totally worth it for a player of Watkins talent and probably part of the reason they would only pay so much for SG. They would get next to nothing in a trade scenario as everyone would know that he wouldn't return to the Bills and will just wait for FA next year.

There is a sucker born every minute. You sign him and trade him. Someone will want him!!!

Edited by Buffalo Boy

Totally worth playing paying $13 million for a player on injured reserve? I would of paid Gilmore and trade Watkins to make room.

:beer:

Personal opinions on the player aside, if Whaley is still the GM he has to extend Sammy and see to it that he gets a second contract in Buffalo. Just for the optics alone.

It would have nothing to do with optics. You have no proof, obviously. I often think people project their own characteristics on others. Maybe you would do it for the optics, but doesn't mean Whaley would.

I don't believe the Jones fracture is a simple " nagging type" injury. Many NFL players have gotten this. None nearly as tough as fans though, I'm certain.

you are so correct.

You are smarter than most. Why don't others see this? Do we really want to be the Detroit Lions East!?? CB, S, DLine, WLB, etc......

Especially with WRs that will be solid well into the 4th 5th rounds.

Because without Watkins our WR corp is terrible.

Armchair gms are funny

Lets see them play with fractured ribs taking hits from NFL beast players on a weekly basis....they honestly dont know wtf they are talking about

Armchair gms are funny

Lets see them play with fractured ribs taking hits from NFL beast players on a weekly basis....they honestly dont know wtf they are talking about

They would not be able to post! :)

Some players are not " tough" . Always having nagging injuries and letting people know they do. Sammy appears to be this type.

Yeah, the weenie couldn't even play with a fractured foot, what a baby. Funny, hardly missed a game in college, I guess he was tough then and suddenly not tough when he came here. Makes sense.

Edited by Mickey

It would have nothing to do with optics. You have no proof, obviously. I often think people project their own characteristics on others. Maybe you would do it for the optics, but doesn't mean Whaley would.

Sure, I'm speculating.

But trading up for a WR then failing to retain him would be a big black mark on his resume for future employment. Doesn't mean he'll absolutely do it - just that it'd be pretty surprising if he didn't. It'd be an admission of failure, at least in the media's eyes.

Sometimes optics matter. ;)

Sure, I'm speculating.

But trading up for a WR then failing to retain him would be a big black mark on his resume for future employment. Doesn't mean he'll absolutely do it - just that it'd be pretty surprising if he didn't. It'd be an admission of failure, at least in the media's eyes.

Sometimes optics matter. ;)

Agreed. A good GM is able to acknowledge a mistake, cut his losses, and move on. Of course, it's easier to do that when you had some successes to compensate for the failures, but Lil Doug knows nothing but fail. We've already seen how long he held on to a major blunder like EJ, so (unless overruled) there's no way he lets someone who has shown flashes of greatness leave the team.