347 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Exercise Sammy's 5th Year Option

• Yes. No Brainer
    • No. Too Injury Prone

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Levitre, Byrd, Searcy, Hairston, Rheingold.

levitre was terrible because we knew that we were not going to retain him and had no backup plan

byrd was overblown but we should have attempted to keep him, we could have afforded him.

searcy was the greatest mistake of this. but i can't beleive he got so much in his contract but that was at a time when there was a change in the way guys were signed.

hairston would have been nice to keep but not neccessary.

rheingold wasn't terrible but not great. he'd have been out of place by 2015.

Not sure if you are being serious or not? I will address it as if you are and apologize if not. Byrd and Levitre went down as TERRIBLE signings by their next teams and were released well before their contracts were up. Byrd is one of the biggest mistakes that Loomis has made. Searcy was a decent player but probably not worth over $10M guaranteed at the time. He hasn't done anything in Tennessee. Hairston is a backup, versatile OL that couldn't stay healthy here. He is a total JAG. Rheingold...Rinehart isn't in the league. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not sure if you are being serious or not? I will address it as if you are and apologize if not. Byrd and Levitre went down as TERRIBLE signings by their next teams and were released well before their contracts were up. Byrd is one of the biggest mistakes that Loomis has made. Searcy was a decent player but probably not worth over $10M guaranteed at the time. He hasn't done anything in Tennessee. Hairston is a backup, versatile OL that couldn't stay healthy here. He is a total JAG. Rheingold...Rinehart isn't in the league.

...on board with your assessment Kirby.....8 mil for G Levitre was huge $$ then...to his credit, he did rebound nicely in HotLanta after woeful Titan tenure...........Byrd?......thank God there is NO OBD homecoming with Papa Byrd on the staff............

Not sure if you are being serious or not? I will address it as if you are and apologize if not. Byrd and Levitre went down as TERRIBLE signings by their next teams and were released well before their contracts were up. Byrd is one of the biggest mistakes that Loomis has made. Searcy was a decent player but probably not worth over $10M guaranteed at the time. He hasn't done anything in Tennessee. Hairston is a backup, versatile OL that couldn't stay healthy here. He is a total JAG. Rheingold...Rinehart isn't in the league.

Your first sentence is a testament to ChanFuego's A+ shtick game

Worst group of players that basically kills your argument.

believe me, he ain't staying after 5 in any event. forget about Watkins after his rookie contract is up. his agent will get him outta here, a la Gilmore, Peters and all before him

Bills are nothing but a AAA farm team for the rest of the league. Development team. We develop our top rookies for eventual insertion into the real franchises... it has happened too many times for it not to be a legit viewpoint. Without the draft trapping a certain amount of top talent for 4 or 5 years , the Bills wouldn't have much of a team at all

The stupidity in these posts is laughable.

We used two 1st round picks on the 4th best WR in a draft class. From the day he got to buffalo he has been limited by injury. If we don't exercise the 5th year option on this guy and have to deal with another half throttle season...it will be the final nail for Doug. Whaley needs Watkins and Dareus to be who they are billed as for a change. For every low level street FA gem signing that Doug has made, there is a monster mistake with franchise cornerstone. Maybe Whaley should just be a pro personnel scout and leave the draft and money making decisions to someone else.

It has been a terrible trade up.

Watkins still has yet to put in a season better than Steve Johnson's three 1,000 yard seasons in a row, who all the fans turned on during the end of his run here.

Its bad all around. The Bills pay double for a WR in a stacked class that has been outperformed by the two WRs taken after him, he has been hurt - ribs, ankle, foot, we still have no QB that can get him the ball, we have game plans Watkins is used as a decoy the entire game (Patriots), or a safety rolls over the top and the Bills decide to take him out of gameplan (Chiefs).

Tyrod said last year that they can't force the ball to Watkins because they need to get other people the ball too. SMH Tyrod.

The Bills still don't use Watkins, and Watkins himself always has some issue with heath. He is always playing through something, or not 100%. McDermott just talked about running the ball and working hard, so nothing is going to change. Watkins being here does not lead to more winning, so its been a failure of a trade-up.

Hated this pick then, hate this pick now.

Keep him for one more year and then use him in a trade to move up for someone, especially a QB if we don't get one this year.

Not serious.

Your first sentence is a testament to ChanFuego's A+ shtick game

That is a huge reason I like FC. He is always on point. I have no idea when he's trolling and when he's serious. He is a great poster.

:beer:

Does his status basically force us to go WR at 1?

I dont support an extension. He just hasnt been healthy enough

The Bills desperately need to address WR. They need to do that even with Watkins as he's pretty much all they have right now. It's difficult to say they have to do it at 10 because a) we don't know who will be available at 10 and b) the defensive backfield is just as needy.

:beer:

Personal opinions on the player aside, if Whaley is still the GM he has to extend Sammy and see to it that he gets a second contract in Buffalo. Just for the optics alone.

and this is doom. If Watkins doesn't catch 1000 yards the next two seasons he's a bust. He was and needs to be that good. But even with just 700 yards and 8-9 tds a yr he would be re-signed. He'd have to be. Which is sad because he would demand top money.

I think we NEED to get a top notch #2 WR.

The "promise" of a healthy Sammy is not comforting to MOST fans.

THE big question is - Can he STAY healthy? The answer to that is going to take a whole season and we need to be PREPARED so as not to have a repeat of LAST YEAR.

Unfortunately, I am not comfortable with extending Sammy until proves he is durable enough to play in the NFL.