2017 NHL Playoffs.....Anybody care?

Mark Vader

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruins fan, tough matchup against the Senators. After they fired Julien I made calls for the cup!!! I'm sticking to it but I have my doubts.

Charlie McAvoy got called up and is expected to play with Chara. Krug and Carlo are out as far as I know. Good luck.

Bruins fan, tough matchup against the Senators. After they fired Julien I made calls for the cup!!! I'm sticking to it but I have my doubts.

Charlie McAvoy got called up and is expected to play with Chara. Krug and Carlo are out as far as I know. Good luck.

The McAvoy thing is a bit curious. BU fans were down on him as a whole this year, as he didn't progress quite like they would have liked. It's a bit of a surprise that a couple of their more advanced prospects didn't get a shot instead. I'm sure he'll be on a short leash though.

i'm not a big hockey guy, but i'm in it for the sens. my brother in law plays for them, and after a large injury layoff, he's finally back. it's nice to be excited to watch some hockey when this is otherwise a dead time of the year for sports for me.

Leafs tanked in January 2015, while still in a playoff spot, and have rebuilt from total scratch from execs to coaches to players.

nice surprise it has come together so quick

hopefully squeak out a few wins from the Caps, nothing more expected, but it will be enjoyed if it does.

Sharks haven't really looked good all season. Decent at times but never really dominant. Power play is middle of the road. Last season it was the best. Face off pct is woeful. Older players are a year older (Thornton and Marleau). I think they are in trouble against the much younger Oilers. Nashville is my pick to win it all.

The McAvoy thing is a bit curious. BU fans were down on him as a whole this year, as he didn't progress quite like they would have liked. It's a bit of a surprise that a couple of their more advanced prospects didn't get a shot instead. I'm sure he'll be on a short leash though.

Yeah crazy to think they threw a way a year of his rookie contract for this run. I guess he looked good in Providence for the few games he played. I have never seen him play, so I'm excited. Carlo and Krug are both out maybe that forced their hand? No idea.

Sharks haven't really looked good all season. Decent at times but never really dominant. Power play is middle of the road. Last season it was the best. Face off pct is woeful. Older players are a year older (Thornton and Marleau). I think they are in trouble against the much younger Oilers. Nashville is my pick to win it all.

I think the Sharks have looked good, not great.

Although they picked the worst time of the year to play their worst hockey.

Getting Logan Couture back will help.

Other players like Tomas Hertl, Joonas Donskoi, Jannik Hanssen, Mikkel Bodker, & Joel Ward have got to step up.

Yep! Leafs are in! Would have preferred a matchup with Ottawa, but unfortunately they have to play the top team in the NHL. Oh well, this is all part of the process.

I expect them to be ousted fairly quickly, but they are all going to get a taste of what the playoffs are all about and I have no doubt the experience will pay off in the long run!

Leafs tanked in January 2015, while still in a playoff spot, and have rebuilt from total scratch from execs to coaches to players.

nice surprise it has come together so quick

hopefully squeak out a few wins from the Caps, nothing more expected, but it will be enjoyed if it does.

I don't think it's fair to say they rebuilt from scratch. The Sabres have truly rebuilt from scratch. They have almost nobody left from the previous team.

The Leafs rebuilt their front office and coaching staff, but they did more of a retool of their player roster than rebuilt from scratch. They still have a lot of players left from previous rebuilds - Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, Bozak, JVR, Brown... Those are some important leftovers that are contributing greatly to the Leafs current success.

They definitely tanked last year though, and the second half of the previous season. And their turn around has been extremely impressive this season. Babcock is taking full advantage of the roster he has. He has always been a defense first, clutch & grab stayed coach and he has seemed to totally reform that system to fit the offensive ability of his current roster. He is truly one of the very best coaches in the NHL. And I have been beyond impressed with Brendan Shanahan as team president. He is right there with Steve Yzerman IMO, as one of the top (former player) NHL execs. I would take Shanahan here in Buffalo in a heart beat!

NHL Playoffs start tomorrow.

Does anyone care?

Predictions? Rooting for any team?

I'm not a hockey expert, I'll just be cheering on my team.

GO SHARKS!!!

Yes, I absolutely LOVE the NHL playoffs! IMO it is the most exciting playoff sport to watch. I look forward to the playoffs every year.

But hockey is my favorite sport. I have played and/or been involved in the game most of my entire life.

I don't have any predictions yet. Playoff hockey is so much different than regular season hockey. You never really know how a series will go, and there are a number of teams playing some pretty good hockey at the moment.

And since the Sabres aren't in it, I don't really care who wins either. I usually pick a favorite team for each series and root for them.

I can usually find a reason to root for almost any team. I will definitely be pulling for Ottawa though, since our current GM had a huge hand in assembling that team and since I don't like Boston. I don't see them making it past the 1st or 2nd round at best though.

I learned not to fear the President's Trophy winner decades ago, but the Leafs are up against it...

I would be pretty shocked if the Leafs somehow made it past such an experienced Washington team. But hey, it's the playoffs, you never know! And Washington has crapped the bed in the playoffs many times before...

Either way, it's great experience for the kids on the Leafs.

The best playoffs in all of sports. Totally different game in the postseason.

Not a reach by any means but I'll pick Chicago to win it all. This is the year the Caps win a few rounds but Toronto will give them a scare.

1st round picks:

Washington in 6. Interesting to see how the Caps handle any adversity. Leafs playing with house money.

Montreal in 6. Even though Habs can't score, gotta go with Price.

Pittsburgh in 7. This series will be nasty. They hate each other.

Ottawa in 7. With both sides banged up on D, this is basically a pick'em.

Chicago in 6. Will not be easy. May depend on which Renni shows up.

Saint Louis in 5. Coaching change did wonders. Blues are a great dark horse.

Anaheim in 6. This will be rough as well. Too much too soon for Calgary. Plus they haven't won in Anaheim in 11 years.

Edmonton in 6. Oil need secondary scoring. McDavid will win two games by himself. Don't like SJ's game this year.

Every year is awesome. Two months of fun!

Not really. The NHL has become a really bad product, like the NFL. It's over officiatied (and badly done at that), player suspensions are inconsistent and there's not a lot of scoring.

It's just too frustrating to watch and with the awful season the Sabres had, I just can't care enough at the moment.

Hockey is such a regional sport meaning once your team is done the casual fan could care less. The weather is getting nice, there are other things to do & they go head to head with the NBA playoffs which there is noway the NHL is winning that battle. With that being said I will flick on the playoffs on a Saturday if I put some money on the games, but other than that I could careless. It is really unfortunate that Buffalo sports takes the fun out of such things as the playoffs by having 2 pathetically runned franchises. My one question about the Sabres is(& I am a casual hockey fan at best) is I hear our coach is on the firing block, when is it Murray's turn to get called out & be held accountable or does he get a free pass like Whaley does every year?