Do You BitCoin?

Foxx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

a bump for those who were discussing Bitcoin in the shoutbox.

Bitcoin is currently 6K+. when i started this thread, it was $1200. a gain of roughly 400% since April.

it will probably peak around $6888 before a retacement to establish a base before it is off to 5 figures.

Edited by Foxx

Hey Foxx, did you say that you mine bitcoin?

What kind of equipment & graphics card are you using to mine bitcoin, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you need a ridiculous setup for it to be profitable? Is it even worth trying with a CPU and high end graphics card? Or do you need a FPGA or ASIC?

How hard is it to make a profit mining bitcoin these days? I heard it's tougher now. I've been thinking of trying to start mining them myself, but I'm relatively new to all of this. Would I be better off with a different crypto currency? Ethereum maybe? I'd love to get into the bitcoin because they just keep going up...

cripe 5 figures....

that is late this year/early next year. the end of '18.... can you say 6 figures?

Foxx,

Thanks for bumping this. Do you trade or are you a long term investor? I've been trying to do trading rather than simply "hodl'ing". How deep do you think retracement will be?

i do both, phypon. i have a percentage that i hodl that will never leave my hands. i also have a percentage that i trade in and out of along with other coin. other coin being Ethereum and Litecoin. i am also diversified into tokens, of which again, i hodl a great percentage and a smaller percentage i trade into and out of. you have to be very careful with the crypto tokens though, 95% of them will not be around in a year. this is an emerging market so it is not really regulated as yet.

as always with any of my comments, this is not to be considere financial advice. it is merely my opinion and your due diligence is required.

:beer:

Hey Foxx, did you say that you mine bitcoin?

What kind of equipment & graphics card are you using to mine bitcoin, if you don't mind me asking?

Do you need a ridiculous setup for it to be profitable? Is it even worth trying with a CPU and high end graphics card? Or do you need a FPGA or ASIC?

How hard is it to make a profit mining bitcoin these days? I heard it's tougher now. I've been thinking of trying to start mining them myself, but I'm relatively new to all of this. Would I be better off with a different crypto currency? Ethereum maybe? I'd love to get into the bitcoin because they just keep going up...

i don't mind the questions, in fact i encourage them.

yes, i mine. my mining operation has grown over time. somewhere back in this thread i posted some old pictures of ASIC equipment that i mine Bitcoin with, you'll have to search through it to find it.

with the difficulty of Bitcoin being so high now, the only profitable way to mine it is with ASIC's. i say that and it is with the current price of Bitcoin in mind. if Bitcoin goes completely nuts and does the moonshot, any form of mining will ultimately prove profitable. keep in mind that if you use GPU/CPU to mine Btc with, it will cost you in the interim.

with ASIC's, there are basically three different algo's to mine. SHA-256, Scrypt and X-11 SHA-256 is Bitcoin and various assorted others. Scrypt is Litecoin and various assorted others. X-11 is DASH and various assorted others.

Ethereum will soon be going to a POS so any money invested into mining equipment will soon be lost. well, not totally lost, but you will no longer be bale to mine Ethereumwhen Casper gets fully implemented.

Edited by Foxx

Thanks for the reply. Totally get the not financial advice stuff. I don't get to talk to too many people about crypto so it's nice to have someone to learn and bounce ideas off of. When you trade, if you don't mind me asking, what indicators do you feel are the most important to look for? I've been doing some research on indicators such as moving averages and stochastics. I use tradingview to view charts as I'm trying to learn more about chart reading/understand to see trends or indications of where the market "may" be leaning.

I also setup a couple of rigs for mining. So far, I've mined siacoin, monero and eth. The eth difficulty level dropped quite a bit with the eth fork so I'm mining that now. It doesn't yield too much per month though. Pays for my electric bill and a $100 to $200 extra per month if I don't hold the coins.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Totally get the not financial advice stuff. I don't get to talk to too many people about crypto so it's nice to have someone to learn and bounce ideas off of. When you trade, if you don't mind me asking, what indicators do you feel are the most important to look for? I've been doing some research on indicators such as moving averages and stochastics. I use tradingview to view charts as I'm trying to learn more about chart reading/understand to see trends or indications of where the market "may" be leaning.

I also setup a couple of rigs for mining. So far, I've mined siacoin, monero and eth. The eth difficulty level dropped quite a bit with the eth fork so I'm mining that now. It doesn't yield too much per month though. Pays for my electric bill and a $100 to $200 extra per month if I don't hold the coins.

Thanks!

i like and use Bittrex. though that is really a crypto exchange. they have 'tools' that let you do your own charting in whatever style you prefer.

indicators are always a difficult thing to decipher. i prefer not to talk about that as i do not want to be responsible for influencing anyone one way or another. what i would like to talk about though (and perhaps this is better placed in the 'Cryptos' thread but it is applicable here as well), is the pairing ratio aspect of cryptos. the tough thing to do, is to stop thinking in terms of fiat. though you can do that as well but you most certainly have to transform the way you view the value of cryptos if you are trading.

lets say i hold BTC and my basis for BTC is $2000. i take 1 BTC and invest it into the SALT ICO. that would give me 1334.33 SALT. the fiat basis for my entry into SALT was at the $1.50 fiat level. this would give me a crypto valuation of 0.0007494397937542 BTC per SALT. now with BTC being $6000 per BTC, those numbers change dramatically. SALT is now trading for roughly $3 per SALT. fantastic you say, that is a 100% increase from my buyin basis. well, not really. in terms of the crypto pairing you really have lost fiat. if you still had that 1 BTC you invested in SALT, it would have appreciated 300%.

with the cryptoverse, you are banking on the crypto pairing value out pacing the fiat value of whatever your investment vehicle was.

Edited by Foxx

They need a Visa that can spend most alts and change between alts instantly with a click on your phone. That is the short term game changer for early adopters. I could live at a fraction of the cost each month (pay w/ credit earning points if down and pay that off with bit card when up).

they have that already,

Centra

TenX

also, UPToken is doing the ATM thing. i don't know if they will succed though, they want too much of a percentage for a transaction.

there is also a lending alternative. SALT, which has mainstream players involved such as Goldman Sachs had their ICO not long ago and should have their beta out soon.'

these are first movers in the space so they have an advantage at succeeding.

Edited by Foxx

A few friends with skin in the game are always crowing about it, a few who refuse and are in the game say it's going to collapse instantly some day soon.

I'll sit on the sidelines and watch, my trust is more with the latter grouping.