Do You BitCoin?

Foxx

Total consumption of electricity used for Bitcoin mining world wide doubled between Jan 1st 2023 and December 31st 2023.

The low end estimated total of ~150 TWH is ~equal to the total electricity consumed by the countries of Ireland, Denmark, New Zealand, and Israel combined. 

Just think about that, consuming the same amount of electricity as 4 modern countries combined to produce virtual currency that only ever exists virtually.

Meanwhile in the corporeal world the oceans are rising at an ever increasing rate, icebergs, permafrost, polar caps, mountain glaciers melting, unusually powerful and destructive weather becoming more common, species disappearing at increasing rates, drought and famine, etc etc etc

What a time to invent such an energy consuming currency. Perhaps the Billionaires who own large chunks of the energy sector invented it? The fact that no one  knows who created Bitcoin,(except whoever invented Bitcoin of course)

is just inconceivable to me. Over $1.3 trillion dollars invested in a virtual currency that consumes the total electricity of 4 countries combined while the Earth is overheating, and virtually no one knows who is behind it.

I feel like I'm on planet Stupid.

Are we not men?

We are Devo

P.S. the electricity consumption is just one element of Bitcoin's impact

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1