What was their objective in removing the BBMB?

blacklabel

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Facebook is useful to me for one thing only these days: Private groups. I'm in one for my family and one for my fraternity buddies. It's an easy way to share pictures, plan events, and generally keep in touch. Otherwise I agree with most of the sentiment here, it's a huge waste of time and energy.

Bills fans are good people, one of the classiest fanbases in the NFL. Some fanbases when they find out your a Packer fan they can get very mean and spiteful. I mean there is no need to hate someone because their a fan of a different team. I dont hate Bear fans even though they root for the Bears.

Guest NeckBeard

Bills fans are good people, one of the classiest fanbases in the NFL. Some fanbases when they find out your a Packer fan they can get very mean and spiteful. I mean there is no need to hate someone because their a fan of a different team. I dont hate Bear fans even though they root for the Bears.

I like this posting. A lot. The vast majority of Bills fans I know, heck I have known most of them since I was a baby in WNY, are completely rational, normal, and friendly people. I remain unconvinced that a lot of the negativity I read on BB-related message boards represents the fan base on the whole.

To your latter point: spursfan = jrober38. That's on the mods 100%. Everybody knew that the person had rejoined, well, apparently everybody but the mods, but it was reported repeatedly. In my former nickname I was infracted at least twice for pointing this out, and yet the internet is really good in finding people who don't have the creativity to use new nicknames when they re-up to a message board. Exhibit A: https://www.shelfsidespurs.com/forum/members/jrober38.12589/

Being a mod on the BBMB, or really on any internet-available medium, is a pretty easy job if you do things consistently. The problem with the BBMB was that the mods got tainted by favoritism, as you have suggested above, and were probably also being held captive (by OBD) by some insane metric about how the success of the BBMB was hinged on page hits and so forth. Plus, threads never got consolidated, and people were infracted for smacking the irrational folks down, so that lead to the mods holding the weight of keeping the board clean, which they were really sucky at.

Outside of a couple of folks here, who pretty much embody the worst of the BBMB, this board is better by a wide margin.

i think you pretty much nailed it neckbeard. i can't disagree with any of this.

I like this posting. A lot. The vast majority of Bills fans I know, heck I have known most of them since I was a baby in WNY, are completely rational, normal, and friendly people. I remain unconvinced that a lot of the negativity I read on BB-related message boards represents the fan base on the whole.

Your fanbase is the nicest. I cant believe you share the same state with Jet and Giant fans cause they are totally opposite.

I don't even bother going in the comments section on social media in general. It usually makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Things are really changing with so much social media interaction these days. It really seems to bring out the worst in people. It's kind of sad. I've seen what some of the fans say to our players on Facebook/Twitter. Some really disgusting stuff. There's no reason for that. And there's really no good football discussion on their social media pages either. No good breakdowns or statistical analysis (etc). It's usually just mostly hate.

That's why I was so sad when they closed BBMB. But this place has been great. Much better than BBMB in a lot of ways. Pretty cool that you have guys like John Wawrow posting here.

I mean, I get why some Bills fans are so bitter. I've been following this team a long time too. It's frustrating. But it's not these current player's (and owner's) faults that the Bills were run so poorly for the last 17+ years. There's no reason to take out all your frustration on them.

Also, IMO, if you can't find any reason to be hopeful about a team anymore, then why follow? Especially in the offseason, which is all about hope. Sports are supposed to be fun. For me, they give me a break from my daily life and all the worries that come with it. I may get emotional during a game, but when it's over I let it go. I never understood the people who let a bad Bills game ruin their entire Sunday. I've even seen some who let it ruin half their week!

For me, sports are all about hope, and when I can't find reasons to be hopeful anymore, I will probably no longer follow the Bills/Sabres so closely anymore. Hope is one of the things that makes sports so great IMO. You never know when an underdog team will have a great season and shock the sports world, or an underdog player will have a super star type season. There are so many great underdog stories in sports. I always root for the underdog.

If they are picking up the tab, they call the shots.

It wasn't a banner of wonderful happiness under those conditions.

A two day warning would have been nice for some things that were highly established on there.

Guest NeckBeard

If they are picking up the tab, they call the shots.

It wasn't a banner of wonderful happiness under those conditions.

A two day warning would have been nice for some things that were highly established on there.

Well know you, if I was owner of the Bills, I would have shut the board down the day I'd bought it. But you're right that they were calling the shots.

Well know you, if I was owner of the Bills, I would have shut the board down the day I'd bought it. But you're right that they were calling the shots.

Not missing getting infractions when I was 0% trying to be offensive, or had no clue I was violating the rules.

I fully deserved 15 of them, but a few really stung for undeservednessatudinalism.

The thing that ticked me off the most was no warning from the Bills PR team. Facebook and Twitter sucks compared to message boards for the exact reasons the OP said. I'm just happy I found this site as the number of trolls are limited like they were on BBMB. Not quite as much action on these boards, but that's a good thing as well as I could only take so many Tyrod Taylor threads. Also, I really am excited I can type the word vague and not get "***ue.'

Your fanbase is the nicest. I cant believe you share the same state with Jet and Giant fans cause they are totally opposite.

Ice, we don't share the same state ... Buffalo is at home in New York State, the Jests and Giants are at home in New Jersey.

I don't get the hatred of the moderators over there, a thankless job trying to make it a better experience for all, that at times had to be more like a junior high school chaperone job.

tired of all the negativity?

....there was certainly NO reason for it(LARGE COUGH)...and TBD is hardly the mecca for warm 'n fuzzy outlooks...prolly couldn't meet the demands of the BBMB MOD Union looking for increase to $200k /yr.... :thumbsup:

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Guest NeckBeard

Yes he was! I did the math one time. Somewhere around 60% of my infractions were from him, and the overwhelming majority were ticky-tack bull **** (admittedly the rest were deserved.)

Either way, !@#$ them. This is a much better place.

Well, to his credit, he/she shut me down when I created a secondary account called "VealCutlerWillSaveUsAll" to bug certain people on the BBMB. I had a good time with that... while it lasted. For (if I recall) 2 months.

....there was certainly NO reason for it(LARGE COUGH)...and TBD is hardly the mecca for warm 'n fuzzy outlooks...prolly couldn't meet the demands of the BBMB MOD Union looking for increase to $200k /yr.... :thumbsup:

200k a year ? .... For half that amount I'd have infracted and thrown the ban hammer on everyone over there, and enjoyed it too :nana: