McCoach took 7 franchise greats out to dinner this week

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this isn't that important, there is something to be said for knowing history and building community. It is good for our coach to know what made many of these legends fall in love with the region. Selling Buffalo to FAs and UDFAs is not necessarily the easiest of tasks.

I'm fine with him taking the guys out to dinner. It's nice, period, and great PR.

But I think the coaches and players SHOULD ignore our past. I don't think the team "culture" now has much to do with these all time greats he took out to dinner, nor do I think there is much, if anything, to learn from their "culture". Don't forget your helmet?

We're the 4 time superbowl losers to the fans so far as "culture" and always will be until we aren't....but the players who have been losing the last decade, or recently under Rex, were babies in 1993. They don't know that culture. To them we're just another average to bad team, like a lot of others in the NFL who didn't lose 4 superbowls in a row.

So I say, yes, ignore it. Bury it. Burn it. They'd be better off. JMO.

Sports teams do this. I recall a Bill Buckner day,a Scott Norwood day. As well as the Bart Starr,and countless other "winners" day. Without yesterday,how does one make tomorrow? Its a good thing to embrace one's past. And good food. No harm,No foul Edited by BuffAlone

I am so sick of the kissing up to these "Legends". Can we look into the future and leave the past behind?

Do other NFL teams act like this with their retired players?

Its hard to have a better tomorrow, if you don't stop dwelling on yesterday.

Imo

One example: Last Thanksgiving the Packers had "Brett Favre Day" which was attended by Bart Starr.

of. Course.

Not saying you are doing this, but I've seen a few posts that feel like they can't let themselves like what's going on now because they don't trust what's to come. I'm comfortable separating the two as far as being able to appreciate some things now that appear promising and understanding that ultimately real success will take place on the field. Doesn't mean I have to block out the good that is currently (imo, obviously) starting to implement in the offseason. i love this very much

C3hYrB_WAAAZx4F.jpg

Yup. That's what I was thinking too. I would guess that a number of the people who are reluctant to give McDermott credit for much of anything are the ones who were all in with Rex Ryan and bought all his hype. I have no idea if this is actually true or not, but it would make sense.

Me personally, I am much more on board with McDermott than I ever was with Rex. I never bought Rex's hype.

We have more PR guys than football guys. Winning the off-season is about hype. Winning the season is black and white. There are no nuances to W-Ls.

I think Coach gets that. But he also gets that it will be easier/more fun to have the "legends" around. Great to have them on "his" side. He's doing all the right things. I don't see him as someone who will put ANYTHING before winning.

I have been really pumped up about this hire. I have not felt this way about a Bills head coach in a very long time. McDermott continues to impress. I believe he will get the most out of the players we have. He seems to be a class act all the way.

Edited by long suffering bills fan

Do other NFL teams act like this with their retired players?

I've lived in four NFL cities and my current one has two teams. I've also been in a few others on game days. The short answer:

Absolutely yes other NFL teams act like this with their retired players.

I've lived in four NFL cities and my current one has two teams. I've also been in a few others on game days. The short answer:

Absolutely yes other NFL teams act like this with their retired players.

except the Browns who want nothing to do with poor Bernie

Sports teams do this. I recall a Bill Buckner day,a Scott Norwood day. As well as the Bart Starr,and countless other "winners" day. Without yesterday,how does one make tomorrow? Its a good thing to embrace one's past. And good food. No harm,No foul

I wasn't questioning whether sports teams did this, and I don't have a problem with it (As a Sox fan I have to point out Buckner came back to the Sox in 90 as a player, but got to throw the first pitch only AFTER the Sox had already won 2 championships!).

What I really doubt is that there is some real value or historical lesson to be had for the players today, from learning the old culture or relating to it that will help them change or understand anything they do today. That seemed to be your line of thinking and I can't agree with that.

But again, I am fine with this. It's a nice thing to do, and it's good PR. I just think it has absolutely 0 to do with anything that will happen on the field next season. It's fluff.

I bet scott norwood feels left out

@jayskurski
[bN] Blitz: Part of the family: #Bills coach Sean McDermott took seven franchise greats out to dinner Tuesday.
http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/05/sean-mcdermott-invited-seven-franchise-greats-dinner-tuesday/

@bytimgraham
As one Bills legend texted to me, McDermott is the first coach to make this gesture.

This guy looks more and more like a winner. All we do is win off-seasons.

I'm not complaining about the gesture which is nice and all but I think the collective sentiment of Bills fans at this point is "just show me results on Sundays". We're all a little hung-over from the Rex excitement.

This is nice and all, but WINS.

Just sayin...

Winning is a process not a final score. A system of habit, focus, passion, and talent. This is why many people take note of how our coach goes about his business. It starts now.