Redskins sign Zack Brown

Just saw on twitter:

@Rapsheet Source: The #Redskins have agreed to terms with FA LB Zach Brown, pending a physical. Big-name free agent off the market.

Might have to go LB even earlier in the draft now. Shame, I thought he was a solid player back there.

i am pleased you misspelled his name.

ungrateful fr.

i wish him no well whatsoever

All those whining about comp picks next year can smile again

Thank Gosh !!

Dooomed! (?)

:beer:

Epically

:beer:

Gilmore is the only real loss out of the three.

pfft

Reddick

mmm..sounds good

Yep!

Everyone should be happy. Now we have a better chance to tank.

you have been pretty grumpy lately. Still eating dried prunes like i suggested? I like the ones with cherry essence.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@rapsheet

#Redskins LB Zach Brown signed a 1-year deal worth a maximum value of $4.65M, source said. $500k signing bonus. Not bad this late in FA.

WOW. I bet you Raiders' fans are screaming at Reggie for not signing him. that would've fit their budget. I think they must've pissed off Zach as per his tweet.

I thought he fit our system but was over him 3 weeks ago

One thing Whaley knows how to do is sign lbs

He fit the system fine.

We have very very little money left under the cap this year. $12.5 mill left with the rookie draftees taking around $6 mill and the Bills liking to have around $5 - $6 mill on hand during the season for injury replacements.

This is what happens when your GM gets you in cap trouble. You have to let guys go who you'd rather keep.

He fit the system fine.

We have very very little money left under the cap this year. $12.5 mill left with the rookie draftees taking around $6 mill and the Bills liking to have around $5 - $6 mill on hand during the season for injury replacements.

This is what happens when your GM gets you in cap trouble. You have to let guys go who you'd rather keep.

OK

As an alternative to what? What should we have done?

Want my honest opinion?

Kept Gilmore - $8.5m cap hit in 2017

Kept Zach - $4.65m cap hit in 2017 (Total: $13.15m)

Not kept Alexander - $3m cap hit in 2017

Not signed Patrick Di Marco - $1.85m cap hit in 2017

Not signed Steven Hauschka - $2.6m cap hit in 2017

Not signed Jordan Poyer - $2.45m cap hit in 2017

Not signed Vladimir Ducasse - $933k cap hit in 2017 (Total: $10.85m)

Difference - $2.3m which is cap space we easily have. For me it was quite simple if it came down to Alexander v Brown - I don't keep the 33 year old 1 season wonder. The rest of those players I'd have been more than happy to replace through the draft and/or UDFA and/or vet minimum players.

So my offseason would have looked like:

Significant losses: Robert Woods; Lerentee McCray; Marquise Goodwin; Justin Hunter; EJ Manuel; Lorenzo Alexander; Corbin Bryant.

Significant additions: Micah Hyde; Andre Holmes; Ryan Davis.

Significant retentions: Stephon Gilmore; Zach Brown; Ryan Groy; Mike Gillislee.

Renegotiation: Tyrod Taylor.

Gunner, you have my vote as the GM of our Bills

I would have much preferred to have kept Gilmore and Brown over most of the dumpster divers we brought in

Dimarco and Hyde excepted

Though I very much dislike Hyde's contract, and or I'm not yet convinced he'll be an upgrade on Graham

Also noting your plan would have gotten us at least one 2018 comp pick for Woods, likely a 4th rounder, instead of butkus

I see Thurman's point, and concur, but the reality is our Bills spent some decent money in FA this off season

They were not as cap restricted as folks suggest

9M+ alone on two new safeties, that's not chump change

They just didn't spend the dough on front line impact starters or anyone us fans can be excited about

jc

Though I very much dislike Hyde's contract, and or I'm not yet convinced he'll be an upgrade on Graham

I am a Micah Hyde fan, have been since he came into the league. I think he will be a really nice fit for this defense and having a safety on the field who can play deep, play in the box or go and play in nickel gives us a nice ability to flex the D against offenses that want to run the hurry up.

Having said all that.... even Hyde would have been expendable in my plan to keep Gilmore. There is just no way I'd have let him out of the building. And before I am accused of being a fan who hates on everything OBD does people should check my position on Gilmore which has been consistent for a number of years. He was a must retain for me.

Did anyone watch Zach Brown play during the 2nd half of the season, and specifically during games vs. Pittsburgh and Miami?

I'll give McDermott the benefit of the doubt at this point.

When I consider the players who have left and those who have arrived this offseason, after looking at what sort of team I think McDermott wants to put together, the only guy I think I'll miss is Bobby Woods.

As an alternative to what? What should we have done?

Exactly what we did. Let them overpay for an overrated Gilmore, an easily replaceable Woods, and Brown, who clearly overvalued his worth on the market.

No, we did exactly what we should have done.

Sal on WGR: one reason Bills didn't go to the wall for ZB is because he didn't buy into McDermott's culture and way of building a team. Complete opposite of how Rex ran his locker room.

Then Washington should meet his culture needs.

Sal on WGR: one reason Bills didn't go to the wall for ZB is because he didn't buy into McDermott's culture and way of building a team. Complete opposite of how Rex ran his locker room.

I can see that and of course that is something that as fans we can never really know. But that isn't surprising to me.

Want my honest opinion?

Kept Gilmore - $8.5m cap hit in 2017

Kept Zach - $4.65m cap hit in 2017 (Total: $13.15m)

Not kept Alexander - $3m cap hit in 2017

Not signed Patrick Di Marco - $1.85m cap hit in 2017

Not signed Steven Hauschka - $2.6m cap hit in 2017

Not signed Jordan Poyer - $2.45m cap hit in 2017

Not signed Vladimir Ducasse - $933k cap hit in 2017 (Total: $10.85m)

Difference - $2.3m which is cap space we easily have. For me it was quite simple if it came down to Alexander v Brown - I don't keep the 33 year old 1 season wonder. The rest of those players I'd have been more than happy to replace through the draft and/or UDFA and/or vet minimum players.

So my offseason would have looked like:

Significant losses: Robert Woods; Lerentee McCray; Marquise Goodwin; Justin Hunter; EJ Manuel; Lorenzo Alexander; Corbin Bryant.

Significant additions: Micah Hyde; Andre Holmes; Ryan Davis.

Significant retentions: Stephon Gilmore; Zach Brown; Ryan Groy; Mike Gillislee.

Renegotiation: Tyrod Taylor.

You've seen enough of my offseason plan to have a good idea of where I was at, so I won't rehash it here.

I'm not sold on the DiMarco and Poyer signings, but Ducasse is the one that sticks in my craw. I think he's terrible, and I have no idea how he makes a team that returns 9 NFL-roster-worthy OLmen (last year's starting 5 plus Cyrus, Henderson, Groy, and Lewis,--that's without mentioning Michael Ola, who has started 19 career games at RT).

I'm not a pedant when it comes to compensatory picks, but it'll be a sad state of affairs if the Ducasse signing prevents this team from a 3rd round compensatory pick they'd have recouped from Gilmore's defection to a division rival.