Anyone nervous about our new defensive scheme (Pats)

Virgil

I'm not sure we have the guys to run McD's scheme, we need better linebackers and likely one elite safety to truly make a zone/cover 2 scheme work IMO, an elite edge rusher wouldn't hurt either (I think both Shaq and Hughes are better suited to be the "2nd Guy").

The Panthers were ok against Brady last time they played (the Pats scored 20) but the Panthers have guys like Kuechley and Thomas Davis, we sorely lack linebackers who can run and make plays in space.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do expect 1 S and 1-2 CBs in the draft, so that could help. If we came away with Lattimore, Melifonwu, and Langley, then I'd be pretty pumped about our secondary and D in general. No more out-scheming BB. 11 across from 11 and play ball.

I would be pumped too but then I have to ask why spend over 9M dollars per annum in FA agency money on two new secondary players if you were going to draft first day starters in April? Something does not correlate with what we think they should do versus what they've done already, if you think any high picks are not BPA but consider need

Pre draft I cannot see how our present back 7 talent can stop Tom Brady, on paper it would seem that we've lost talent, not gained, though we all secretly hope the new scheme can overcome, but can it? Me thinks Reggie Ragland is the key, and if the FA S signings work out, let alone anything else we pick up in the draft, which is only ever a 50-50 roll of the dice...

jc

No one is going to slow down the patties if and when they get AP.

Maybe the seahawks might. since they have history of doing so.

they are going to run over everyone. they are blitzkrieg. a war machine.

Are you on the wrong message board here? I think the Pats fan board is down the hall, down the stairs, left at the flames and straight on into the fiery pit

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Are you on the wrong message board here? I think the Pats fan board is down the hall, down the stairs, left at the flames and straight on into the fiery pit

Wonderful response!

I admit I did worry about so much zone against Brady, but let's play the games and hopefully crush him like a bug on the windshield before getting too distraught. I like most of what I've seen so far.

Why be worried?

The Seahawks, with their super simple C3 zone defense, were one poorly timed red zone slant away from beating the Pats* in the Super Bowl.

The Giants, also running an aggressive but somewhat simplistic zone-based 4-3, beat the Pats* in the Super Bowl TWICE.

To add to that, I would say I'm actually MORE optimistic about McDermott's defense vs the Pats*. Why? The big nickel he plans to run will be helpful in stopping the TE-centric offense that NE likes to run.

Oh, and one MORE thing: McDermott is known as being methodical, obsessively process driven, and very concerned with minute details. That sounds like EXACTLY the kind of mind we need to finally have a chance to beat Belichick.

i would like to see a defense that didnt beat itself with breakdowns and penalties.....lets worry about our back yard first

Not to be that guy but...

Well, now you're that guy! I struggle not to point stuff out.

I actually took a mid-life apptitude test to see what I should be when I grow up, and editor came up high on the list. Sometimes I let typos stay on my posts....to test myself.

Contrary to what every Bills fan assumes, next season's schedule isn't:

@Patriots

vs Patriots

vs Patriots

@Patriots

@Patriots

@Patriots

vs Patriots

vs Patriots

vs Patriots

@Patriots

vs Patriots

vs Patriots

@ Patriots

vs Patriots

@ Patriots

@ Patriots

Yes, but until you knock off the champ (with Brady) I don't care who you beat your still second best kid. Edward G paraphrase

What defense don't the Patriots score on?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200309070buf.htm

Oh and please provide excuses please.

Half the fanbase can tell us the D that ruins the Pats easypeasy. I'm in the other half that believes they will adjust to whatever the other team is using, usually with an audible.

That is easy - Defense is stall, deny and disassemble.

No. The Bills haven't managed to slow down the Pats with any of their schemes in the last 15 years. The Pats only lose to top Defenses. The Bills don't have elite personnel to run any scheme right now.

Math is not your strong suit:

2017 - 2003 = 14

Exactly, I hope we play them week 1 @ Gillette. I think we will have a good chance to surprise them a bit.

Absolutely will not happen - Superbowl champion is always matched up to a playoff team or other "elite" team.

I'm not an expert by any means on x's and o's but I do think we're slightly misinterpreting the zone Carolina played. It's not a bend but don't break prevent zone. It's dependent on the front 4 to put pressure on the QB and the zone is meant to confuse the offense on who's covering who. It's meant to force the offense into doing something quicker than they want to and slip by not knowing player X knew to be there (communication).

Last year Carolina did not have the personnel to execute what they did the previous few years. Last year they were forced to play differently but Mcdermott's defense is an exciting scheme to watch. Will it take us another year to put all the pieces together - probably, but it is not a sit back and let them do whatever they want in front of you defense.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200309070buf.htmOh and please provide excuses please.

Math is not your strong suit:

2017 - 2003 = 14

I was referring to the Brady era ( which technically began in 2002 after the Bledsoe trade) and encompasses 15 seasons ( I'm pretty sure the 2017 season hasn't been played yet ) . Yes, the Bills managed a couple of outliers over the years , but clearly have been dominated by the Pats. Perhaps facts are not your strong suit.

I was referring to the Brady era ( which technically began in 2002 after the Bledsoe trade) and encompasses 15 seasons ( I'm pretty sure the 2017 season hasn't been played yet ) . Yes, the Bills managed a couple of outliers over the years , but clearly have been dominated by the Pats. Perhaps facts are not your strong suit.

No facts are my strong suit - you specifically stated "any" which means they were never successful and said 15 seasons which includes 2003 as you said above. Not saying Bills were not dominated but not every game. You could have said "most" but over exaggerated to make your point. We have not beaten them YET in 2017 so statement 'not slowed down' is true right now since it is impossible to slow them down when we have not played yet.

As was taught to me in debate class: Exaggeration is a tool of the weak minded.

Edited by Koolaid

nah

cant deny the inevitability at this point anymore.

i wont watch another bills-patties. or another patties game anymore, until brady calls it quits.

they own the league and the league caters to their every need.

Sorry, I think folks that claim playing the Patriots is only 2 games on one's yearly schedule miss the point - The best way to make the playoffs in your conference is to have a winning record in your division - It goes a long way to having a solid AFC record but more importantly puts 3 other teams in your conference at a potential W-L disadvantage - So IMO the 6 games in your division are the most important games in your schedule, and building a team that can consistantly win in your division is a great building block forward towards having constistant successful seasons

Just saying....

jc

It pains me to say this, but it's really all about Brady. Here is a team that went a surprising 3-0 without him last year only to be SHUT OUT AT HOME by the 17 years and counting Bills. They had absolutely nothing to offer on offense. 16 points is never enough to beat them with Brady, but at 9-0, the game was over.

As for ATL in the SB, when in Rome, you have to change the gameplan in the 4th quarter against them, just as they do to every opponent. By then, they know what you're going to go to and change up their strategy to take advantage of this. They have since Bellichek became their coach. Plan for 4 quarters -then find some luck.. like a Brady pass clanking off a DL's helmet and becoming a Pick-6.

Sorry, I think folks that claim playing the Patriots is only 2 games on one's yearly schedule miss the point - The best way to make the playoffs in your conference is to have a winning record in your division - It goes a long way to having a solid AFC record but more importantly puts 3 other teams in your conference at a potential W-L disadvantage - So IMO the 6 games in your division are the most important games in your schedule, and building a team that can consistantly win in your division is a great building block forward towards having constistant successful seasons

Just saying....

jc

Winning 6 divisional games give you only 6 wins. I think you're missing their point instead of vice versa. You put together the defense you think that gets you as close to 16 wins as possible, not the defense that gets you as close as possible to 2 wins over the Cheats.