Mets fans?

Another Fan

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I was okay leaving him in for a couple reasons:

1.  There were two outs and a two-run lead.  The way he got the two quick outs in the 9th, all I kept thinking was, "okay, he'll get the next one."

2.  I was fine losing the game.  He knew he was being asked to make a 6-out save.  I was actually saying, "leave him in there - this is his job," to the TV.

Callaway didn't manage the game like it was Game 7 of the NLCS and I'm okay with it.  Familia is being paid handsomely to do a job.  Last night, Callaway gave him a job to do and let him work until he ultimately failed.

Two things I disagree with:  he's not a two inning pitcher and there's no way he should have been left in for the tying hit. You could see that one coming from a mile away.  

Callaway has a job too - winning games. He set the team up to fail last night and was fortunate that Gagnon bailed him out.

The real shame of it is Callaway managed to turn a promising outing by a struggling player into a bad outing. 

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Two things I disagree with:  he's not a two inning pitcher and there's no way he should have been left in for the tying hit. You could see that one coming from a mile away.  

Callaway has a job too - winning games. He set the team up to fail last night and was fortunate that Gagnon bailed him out.

The real shame of it is Callaway managed to turn a promising outing by a struggling player into a bad outing. 

I think he managed the bullpen to the best of his ability.  Don't want to overwork Lugo.  Diaz needed a night off.  Asking a professional setup man/closer to get six outs is not an unreasonable request, in my opinion.  He had two outs and two strikes on two different batters.  For $10 million/year, Callaway should expect Familia to close the door in that situation.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I think he managed the bullpen to the best of his ability.  Don't want to overwork Lugo.  Diaz needed a night off.  Asking a professional setup man/closer to get six outs is not an unreasonable request, in my opinion.  He had two outs and two strikes on two different batters.  For $10 million/year, Callaway should expect Familia to close the door in that situation.

I hope that Callaway isn't making in-game decisions based on salary.  For the record, I don't like that approach to filling out the lineup either (see Todd Frazier over Jeff McNeil).

I can see the argument for leaving Familia in up until the bloop hit.  But after that hit, there was no doubt in my mind that Familia wasn't getting the last out.

Callaway got played by the Reds manager who baited him into sticking with Familia by never sending up a left handed pinch hitter.

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I hope that Callaway isn't making in-game decisions based on salary.  For the record, I don't like that approach to filling out the lineup either (see Todd Frazier over Jeff McNeil).

I can see the argument for leaving Familia in up until the bloop hit.  But after that hit, there was no doubt in my mind that Familia wasn't getting the last out.

Callaway got played by the Reds manager who baited him into sticking with Familia by never sending up a left handed pinch hitter.

I really think his decision to stick with Familia last night was the correct one ... not based on salary, but based on bullpen management.  I certainly wouldn't expect this to be the norm.

That said ... NY Post had a decent article about Familia today .... https://nypost.com/2019/05/01/mets-should-make-jeurys-familia-a-mop-up-man/.

He needs to pitch through this.  As much as I'd like him gone, it's very unlikely.  Hopefully the five strong outs are something he can build upon.

JD Davis should be playing third base.  He and McNeil need to be everyday players, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, Another Fan said:

It was one of the last posts I had on BBMB. Grew up rooting for the Mets. Wanted to see who fellow Bills fans pulled in terms of baseball. Know the Jays are close but are aware of the Sabres/Leafs rivalry.

I have been a fan since the 1969 World Series. Bills and Mets for life! ouch!

i've missed the last few weeks of MLB with work and stuff

what's the key story so far to let me jump back in?

looks like only 2 or so teams are finished already

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i've missed the last few weeks of MLB with work and stuff

what's the key story so far to let me jump back in?

looks like only 2 or so teams are finished already

Row..do yourself a favor and watch tonight..McNeil and Big Al have a hard on for the game...their plate appearances scream of it.Jake is on the mound as well...pure baseball entertainment tonight.

Keep in mind..Frazier is still your rally killer..don't listen to '70's.

5 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I have been a fan since the 1969 World Series. Bills and Mets for life! ouch!

Welcome..just a bit about me...my second cousin is Kevin Kobel.He still watches the games down in Boston Hills.

This year's team sure is exciting to watch..we just need to keep hanging with Atlanta and things will fall into place.

Don't lose faith.

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

Kimbrel and let him be the setup guy.

Solid point but when he had the opportunity to get Gio Gonzalez,after Vargas struggled..I said to myself..he's too cocky to make a glowing roster change...he would be admitting he misjudged some talent..that's not in his DNA.

Bottom line...Kimbrel improves this team but our GM isn't ready to bite the bullet yet.

52 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Row..do yourself a favor and watch tonight..McNeil and Big Al have a hard on for the game...their plate appearances scream of it.Jake is on the mound as well...pure baseball entertainment tonight.

Keep in mind..Frazier is still your rally killer..don't listen to '70's.

LOL.

For the record I have no love for Frazier. I was merely pointing out the irony that you bashed Frazier and a few hours later he had a big hit. Baseball can be funny that way. I think it happened to me every time Lenny Harris got the start at 3B in place of Robin Ventura.

Regardless, not listening to me is probably good advice anyway. My wife sure thinks so.

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

LOL.

For the record I have no love for Frazier. I was merely pointing out the irony that you bashed Frazier and a few hours later he had a big hit. Baseball can be funny that way. I think it happened to me every time Lenny Harris got the start at 3B in place of Robin Ventura.

Regardless, not listening to me is probably good advice anyway. My wife sure thinks so.

It was a rib poke...anyway,Frazier,just like last season can't hit anything off speed in the middle of a count most of the time. I hate,truly hate ,not rooting for him..for me too root for his failure is wrong...but my mind simply tells me we are a better team without him in the line up.

Holy moses...Gugs got his wish...Familia goes to the shelf.

6 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Welcome..just a bit about me...my second cousin is Kevin Kobel.He still watches the games down in Boston Hills.

This year's team sure is exciting to watch..we just need to keep hanging with Atlanta and things will fall into place.

Don't lose faith.

Welll...we gotta believe!

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

thanks for the updates, good info and a good laugh

last night was spent chained to the desk.... 

someday i'll get to watching again...

Didn't your Blue Jays bring up their top prospect recently? Have you seen him play?

15 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

What about Vargas?

At this point in his career,do you expect more than 5 out of him? I don't ,but my son feels differently.His outings are poker games,imo.

Watching the game today...dripping Sunshine and Noah is the stud of the day...if I was there..I would have put down a few of those stadium specials from Jim Beam (high ball).